New Cloyes timing sprocket (crank side) is too tight

I agree it's crazy! I don't understand why filing it is having nearly zero effect.

Napa's is Cloyes, I checked. I've called every flavor of auto parts store in the area and they all carry Cloyes.

I wound up ordering the Comp Cams CCA-3237 from summit, and paid for overnight shipping (this endeavor is getting expensive!). Based on the photos, this looks like an inferior product (cast cam gear), but it isn't inferior if it fits. The crank gear in the photo looks suspiciously like a Cloyes, and with my luck it probably is. Lol.

I'll update the thread when I try the new set.

Filing is having zero effect because the gear is probably hardened. I'm surprised they suggested that...To have any chance at all, make sure you have a good file. For something like that, I'd go buy a brand new Nichols. Dull files really suck to use and they do wear out.

Reactions: TNHEADDUCK
Filing is having zero effect because the gear is probably hardened. I'm surprised they suggested that...To have any chance at all, make sure you have a good file. For something like that, I'd go buy a brand new Nichols. Dull files really suck to use and they do wear out.

I figured that and even mentioned it to them. They said it was powdered steel and I should be able to file it.

The comp cams set just arrived and fits perfectly. No drama. The stamping looks almost identical to the other gears, but it is in spec. Hopefully tonight I’ll be able to get it put back together and all of this will finally be behind me.

Reactions: JKP and TJ Jim
Wow. What a saga. I'd call Cloyes and let them know that their suggestion of another brand worked out. Maybe they'll at least fix their inventory and process. I will commend Cloyes for at least suggesting another brand, most companies won't do that.

Reactions: JKP
Wow. What a saga. I'd call Cloyes and let them know that their suggestion of another brand worked out. Maybe they'll at least fix their inventory and process. I will commend Cloyes for at least suggesting another brand, most companies won't do that.

I did. They pulled their existing inventory, but the tech couldn’t tell me exactly what was being done about it. I really wish they had helped me by modifying one of their gears and shipping it to me, since they made it sound so easy to file and fix myself.

This Comp gear looks so similar that I’m not convinced they don’t get theirs from Cloyes as well. Melling clearly does, since I bought one of their sets and got Cloyes gears.

Reactions: Zorba
Now the question is, did Cloyes make them for MOPAR?

Probably. The OEM parts are discontinued, so someone else is making them. Since it seems like everyone has settled on Cloyes for these parts, I'd bet good money they are Cloyes gears.

Comp Cams timing set installed. It’s definitely not as high quality as the Cloyes set, but it fits so I’m rolling with it.

CBFD2BC8-B95A-441F-83D4-A41012EECC22.jpeg

Reactions: TWiG01
Crazy that it seems like a whole run of gears is essentially worthless without modification. Glad you got it back together!

Had this exact same problem with the Cloyes timing chain kit w/crank sprocket part # S809. Six months after you. Ridiculous they didn't get those parts pulled back knowing full well it won't even fit. Do not buy Cloyes, people.

I'm not sure what to do now. Really wanted to finish this up today. Auto store guy said they never used to change that gear anyway, so put the old one back in. I have another Cloyes on the way to O'Reilly (only way I could get another sprocket to try today...) and will update here if that one also is out of spec.

In the meantime, can anyone provide advice on just replacing the chain, or replacing the chain + cam sprocket but running the original crank sprocket? It's 150k mile Jeep.

Had this exact same problem with the Cloyes timing chain kit w/crank sprocket part # S809. Six months after you. Ridiculous they didn't get those parts pulled back knowing full well it won't even fit. Do not buy Cloyes, people.

I'm not sure what to do now. Really wanted to finish this up today. Auto store guy said they never used to change that gear anyway, so put the old one back in. I have another Cloyes on the way to O'Reilly (only way I could get another sprocket to try today...) and will update here if that one also is out of spec.

In the meantime, can anyone provide advice on just replacing the chain, or replacing the chain + cam sprocket but running the original crank sprocket? It's 150k mile Jeep.

I wonder if you got old stock from the parts store, or if they still really haven’t fixed the problem. I’m sorry it happened to you, also.

My original crank gear had visible wear marks on the teeth, so I really wanted to replace it. Is yours that bad?

After all of this was over, I felt like I was being too particular about what is basically a tractor engine. Lol. It’s not a high performance race engine, so it is probably just fine to reuse the original crank gear. But I’m still glad I was eventually able to find a gear that for properly.

I hope you gets yours in a state you’re happy with very soon!

I wonder if you got old stock from the parts store, or if they still really haven’t fixed the problem. I’m sorry it happened to you, also.

My original crank gear had visible wear marks on the teeth, so I really wanted to replace it. Is yours that bad?

After all of this was over, I felt like I was being too particular about what is basically a tractor engine. Lol. It’s not a high performance race engine, so it is probably just fine to reuse the original crank gear. But I’m still glad I was eventually able to find a gear that for properly.

I hope you gets yours in a state you’re happy with very soon!

Good question. I got it from Rock Auto FYI. My crank gear has visible wear also. It's not deep but you can see it and feel it if you run your nail across the tooth. I had the harmonic dampener off and figured I'd just replace the chain etc. since it would never be easier than now. I didn't measure the slack but the chain guide had some rub marks.

I feel the exact same way! "Does it really matter? Am I being too particular??" But I don't have enough experience to really know.

Thank you. It will work out one way or another, it just may take longer than I planned for. Fingers crossed the Cloyes parts at Orielly's are OK...

Last update: Omix-Ada Timing Kit # 17452.19 fits. Third time's the charm. Hopefully this helps someone out there. Avoid Cloyes until they get their act together...

Reactions: JKP