New from Newmarket

PCO6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I just joined and am enjoying what I've seen so far! I've owned a Cherokee XJ 2 dr. for years. When I retired a few years ago I had to return my company car and I decided it was finally time for a TJ as I wasn't getting any younger. Since then I've also acquired an LJ. I only own Jeeps and they are my daily drivers. I use them for camping trips as well. I'm also into building trailers - currently finishing an expedition trailer and am acquiring parts for an off road tear drop trailer as my next project. Looking forward to being a member of the forum!

The '03 TJ & '04 LJ are both silver. That wasn't my plan but it is a nice that they are.

picture.php?albumid=3124&pictureid=51975.jpg

picture.php?albumid=3124&pictureid=65497.jpg

Reactions: CRGR and Travis
A TJ and an LJ both in silver? That's awesome!
Great looking rides. Got any plans for them?

Thanks Chris. No immediate big plans other than to install a winch on the LJ. I'm currently focusing on my trailer projects and my XJ (welding in new floors front to back as well as rockers and minor suspension mods). I like to keep my Jeeps fairly stock looking, low COG with small lifts (2") and slightly larger than stock wheels & tires. I used to build and race off road cars but I'm now more into expedition travel and very "minor" wheeling - snow banks at the mall, etc. (lol). The only interior mod I've done so far is to swap the seats out for Hyundai Tiburon seats. I've done it to all 3 Jeeps.

This is the TJ ... or it could be the LJ ... they both look the same (lol)

picture.php?albumid=3124&pictureid=46451.jpg

Wow... never seen different seats in a TJ before. Those look like they would be rather comfortable. Did they bolt right in, and how did you decide on Tiburon seats of anything?

It definitely gives it a more modern look!

Wow... never seen different seats in a TJ before. Those look like they would be rather comfortable. Did they bolt right in, and how did you decide on Tiburon seats of anything?

It definitely gives it a more modern look!
Chris - They're definitely comfortable and it was surprisingly easy to do. It took me longer to figure out how I was going to do it than it did to actually do it.

The first step was to decide on whether to have my old ones reupholstered, whether to put covers on them or outright replace them. Reupholstering is very expensive. I've seen good covers and some bad ones and I just didn't want to take a chance. I went to an auto wrecker to see what was available and decided on the Tiburon seats which you can get for about $100 for the pair. These are from an '03 but various years would work. I wanted seats from a 2 dr. car for the pivoting feature. I also wanted non-power seats for simplicity. I would have liked seat heaters but no luck there. I generally sized up several different cars and took my chances with these ones.

I used the seat mounting brackets from the TJ and the sliders from the Tiburon. I cut various lengths of 2"x.0.25" and 1.5"x0.25" flat bar and used grade 8 hardware to bolt them together. I concentrated on getting the same seat height and front to pack travel and it worked out great. There were a few things on the seat bottoms that I had to bend or cut off but it was very straight forward. I also had to cut away a small amount of plastic trim from the Tiburon bases and again, no problem there. The seat belts are the original TJ parts. I currently don't have the fold forward feature on the passenger side but I know how I'm going to do it (minor welding project).

Here's what it looks like without the seat ...
picture.php?albumid=3124&pictureid=46458.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I would be interested in this if I hadn't already just installed heated pads and switches to turn my stock seats into heated cheek warmers ha. Looks great though. I think half doors on a soft topped LJ is the best looking jeep out there. I'll have to reach out to get a trailer made(; best of luck!! And welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be interested in this if I hadn't already just installed heated pads and switches to turn my stock seats into heated cheek warmers ha. Looks great though. I think half doors on a soft topped LJ is the best looking jeep out there. I'll have to reach out to get a trailer made(; best of luck!! And welcome!

Thanks dylansalrin. I'd like to add seat heaters to my Jeeps too. I agree with you re the half doors and the soft top. My favourite way to drive it and the TJ too when going longer distances is with the half doors on and the soft top up with no windows. The hard top and full doors are currently on for the winter. In the late fall and early spring I like to use the half doors with a set of hard sliding uppers that I have for it. The problem is that they and my soft uppers are black and my hardtop is gray. I plan to paint the hard top black to match the hard and soft uppers.

As it is right now ...
picture.php?albumid=3124&pictureid=65790.jpg

And with black hard sliding uppers a gray top (not good) ...
picture.php?albumid=3124&pictureid=66180.jpg

Great looking jeeps man, gotta love silver! You're gonna have to post some pictures of those trailers!
Thanks Northwood. I agree with you on the silver! Here's a pic of the expedition trailer with my XJ in the background and a thread on it. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148123-PCO6-s-Trailer-Build

picture.php?albumid=4455&pictureid=54030.jpg

The trailer has come a long way since what you see above and I probably would have finished it this year ... if I hadn't bought the LJ which I had to put a fair bit of work into.

I built the expedition trailer along the lines of a utility trailer I built. I made it for hauling Jeep parts! (lol) It's also been handy for camping with my bikes and kayaks until the one above is done.

picture.php?albumid=4455&pictureid=63921.jpg

I haven't started the tear drop trailer yet but plan to this summer. I'm really just collecting parts and ideas for it now. I did get lucky though and picked up a frame to base the build on. The first step will be to remove the axle you see below and put in a proper axle and suspension. This one will also have Jeep Moab wheels on it so I don't have to carry a spare. This frame will give me a good head start.

picture.php?albumid=4455&pictureid=63224.jpg

picture.php?albumid=4455&pictureid=63224.jpg

picture.php?albumid=4455&pictureid=63921.jpg

Last edited:
Chris - They're definitely comfortable and it was surprisingly easy to do. It took me longer to figure out how I was going to do it than it did to actually do it.

The first step was to decide on whether to have my old ones reupholstered, whether to put covers on them or outright replace them. Reupholstering is very expensive. I've seen good covers and some bad ones and I just didn't want to take a chance. I went to an auto wrecker to see what was available and decided on the Tiburon seats which you can get for about $100 for the pair. These are from an '03 but various years would work. I wanted seats from a 2 dr. car for the pivoting feature. I also wanted non-power seats for simplicity. I would have liked seat heaters but no luck there. I generally sized up several different cars and took my chances with these ones.

I used the seat mounting brackets from the TJ and the sliders from the Tiburon. I cut various lengths of 2"x.0.25" and 1.5"x0.25" flat bar and used grade 8 hardware to bolt them together. I concentrated on getting the same seat height and front to pack travel and it worked out great. There were a few things on the seat bottoms that I had to bend or cut off but it was very straight forward. I also had to cut away a small amount of plastic trim from the Tiburon bases and again, no problem there. The seat belts are the original TJ parts. I currently don't have the fold forward feature on the passenger side but I know how I'm going to do it (minor welding project).

Here's what it looks like without the seat ...
View attachment 8535

You're right, that isn't nearly as hard as one would think it was. I like the look though, it's original and it looks very modern.

This is very cool though, and I'm certain someone will stumble upon this at some point and find it very helpful (myself included).

Reactions: Sahara 00
@PC06, stupid question but where did you get your bumper loop? Only ones I can find for the stock bumper are the small kc loops

IronCity - It's a Warrior Universal Center Hoop and I got it from Just Jeeps in Toronto. It bolts right on to the TJ bumper but you have to remove the tow hooks. I'm about to install a winch and I will likely have to modify the hoop a bit to make it work. Plus I want to get my hooks back! The outer diameter is 1.5" which is what I wanted to match some bumperettes that I'm building for the rear bumper.
https://www.justjeeps.com/product.php?productid=42920&cat=&page=8

You're right, that isn't nearly as hard as one would think it was. I like the look though, it's original and it looks very modern.

This is very cool though, and I'm certain someone will stumble upon this at some point and find it very helpful (myself included).
Chris - Thanks. I should probably post it in another thread too (... re interior mods or something).

Thanks Northwood. I agree with you on the silver! Here's a pic of the expedition trailer with my XJ in the background and a thread on it. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148123-PCO6-s-Trailer-Build

View attachment 8545

The trailer has come a long way since what you see above and I probably would have finished it this year ... if I hadn't bought the LJ which I had to put a fair bit of work into.

I built the expedition trailer along the lines of a utility trailer I built. I made it for hauling Jeep parts! (lol) It's also been handy for camping with my bikes and kayaks until the one above is done.

View attachment 8546

I haven't started the tear drop trailer yet but plan to this summer. I'm really just collecting parts and ideas for it now. I did get lucky though and picked up a frame to base the build on. The first step will be to remove the axle you see below and put in a proper axle and suspension. This one will also have Jeep Moab wheels on it so I don't have to carry a spare. This frame will give me a good head start.

View attachment 8547
Those are some awesome trailers! You've got some skills sir!

Reactions: Kevin E and Chris