New from Oswego, NY

CamoColton

Supporting Member
Hi all,

Joined a few months ago, but neglected to post anything. I've been with a TJ since 2007. In addition to the TJ I've always had, we now have a 2006 LJ obtained from my girlfriend's mom and step dad (also Jeep people).

Used to be very active on other forums, and local clubs. But have since become a loner of sorts. With many friends moving away, and the clubs (at least local to me) becoming a scene I just can't get into anymore. (The posers and blowhards in upstate NY are inversely proportional to the decent wheeling opportunities). Add on top of it, other interests like motorcycles and such taking precedence.

With the new-to-us LJ, my interest in Jeeps and the community overall has been rekindled so here I am! The tech resources on this forum have been amazing and incredibly helpful with making sense of the LJ. Even though it is a TJ just the same as mine, my 1999 feels ancient compared to it.

Thanks!

IMG_2445.jpeg

IMG_7165.jpeg

Reactions: TJPurist
Welcome from Long Island, you will love this forum. I miss Oswego, wife and I both graduated from there in the late 80's! I miss the smell of chocolate from the Nestles factory in Fulton driving through there and of course the sunsets from my 9th flor dorm room over looking Lake Ontario.

Welcome from NJ! The club scene up there sounds just like it is down here. A bunch of JKs with 5 light bars, halo headlights that change color and angry eye grilles. Not my style. Nice looking rigs!

Welcome from Long Island, you will love this forum. I miss Oswego, wife and I both graduated from there in the late 80's! I miss the smell of chocolate from the Nestles factory in Fulton driving through there and of course the sunsets from my 9th flor dorm room over looking Lake Ontario.

Fulton misses Nestle too. They’re gone. Along with Miller and the bottle plant. It’s in a real bad way.
Oswego is doing alright for itself.

Welcome from NJ! The club scene up there sounds just like it is down here. A bunch of JKs with 5 light bars, halo headlights that change color and angry eye grilles. Not my style. Nice looking rigs!
Yup. I didn’t want to get too negative in a first post, but that sums it up quite well. The other end of the spectrum is the overlanding LARP'ers that haven't actually travelled anywhere. We used to laugh at the NJ plated vehicles we'd see at Rausch Creek. Little did we know what we were in for.

Here I sit in the middle with what are now "classics". And I have more in common with my Suzuki Samurai friends.

And I can see the visible confusion when they get around the LJ - "y uR uNLoOMitTeD nO haF FoUR dORs?"
I have heard that, Oswego still has the Niagara Mohawk plant right?
The steam plant? Sort of. Nine Mile is still operating. Plus there's Novelis, operating in the former Alcoa (?) plant.
In Fulton the brewery is now an ethanol plant. Not really sure how many employees, but I don't think it takes many.
Sealright, now Huhtamäki, is also still operating in Fulton.

Reactions: TWiG01
100 percent. Hah, it’s as if the JK was the first Jeep ever produced. Frustrating.

I don't want to be the elitist curmudgeon (too late), but the extra two doors and cheap financing really brought the whole thing crashing down.

My daily driver is a third gen. Tacoma, and it is the JK of the Tacoma world. First and second gen taco owners sound just like us.
I don't think it's as drastic a difference as the Jeep world - Tacoma's have had four doors and IFS for a long time. It's really just curmudgeon's mad at people buying new vehicles and asking dumb questions and posting stupid mods diluting their ecosystem.

Pretty much like us lol

But I think no one does "tasteless" mods quite like the Jeep community is now.

Reactions: TWiG01
I don't want to be the elitist curmudgeon (too late), but the extra two doors and cheap financing really brought the whole thing crashing down.

My daily driver is a third gen. Tacoma, and it is the JK of the Tacoma world. First and second gen taco owners sound just like us.
I don't think it's as drastic a difference as the Jeep world - Tacoma's have had four doors and IFS for a long time. It's really just curmudgeon's mad at people buying new vehicles and asking dumb questions and posting stupid mods diluting their ecosystem.

Pretty much like us lol

But I think no one does "tasteless" mods quite like the Jeep community is now.
Im just glad I’m not the only one with this train of thought.

Welcome from SE PA. I wheel mostly with the same group where the two leaders both roll in TJs. I was jealous last weekend when mildly built JKs just walked up most obstacles with a family of 4 and dog. I guess the 6 fog lights on the front helped him over my boring 2.

Welcome from SE PA. I wheel mostly with the same group where the two leaders both roll in TJs. I was jealous last weekend when mildly built JKs just walked up most obstacles with a family of 4 and dog. I guess the 6 fog lights on the front helped him over my boring 2.

Oh nothing against the new vehicles at all. They are definitely more advanced than TJ's and never had Dana 35's lol.
And you can fit so much more auxiliary lighting on them for sure.

But it's just the overall mentality that seems to be dominating the culture that's sort of driven me away from the clubs and events.