New front axle shaft vs replacing front u joints

You were just holding your tongue right, it usually all goes back together without any problems at all. :)
No tongue holding. Changing this axle out is a first for me and I’m just hoping I get it right. Learning as go and u all are a big help and great resource. Thanks much

What’s consensus on the rear caliper pin torque? I have two new bolts, but when I work on the jeep I’m in a rural area and 30-45 min away from a parts store so I don’t want to snap anything else....
Where are those specs from? Reason I ask is the bolts, bolt sleeves, and the material they are threaded into and the depth of the material for all intents and purposes are identical. The front caliper is easily twice as heavy as the rear one so it strikes me as very odd that the rear bolt torque is nearly twice what the front one is.[/QUOTE

Id pull the factory service manual and check the torque there. Alldata is usually quite reliable but @mrblane is correct that it's odd they would use just over 18ft/lbs for the rear and 11 for the front. Remember, if you apply locktite you need to drop the torque value you use as it's going to act as a lubricant, and I'm a firm believer in locktite on brake parts.

Here is a chart to help with that but I'd guess in the 30% range should be good.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amp/torque-lubrication-effects-d_1693.html

Another option is to use a 1/4 drive ratchet and go good and tight, call it a day. 8-11 ft/lbs is not much, snug plus a bit more will get you there.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Id pull the factory service manual and check the torque there. Alldata is usually quite reliable but @mrblane is correct that it's odd they would use just over 18ft/lbs for the rear and 11 for the front. Remember, if you apply locktite you need to drop the torque value you use as it's going to act as a lubricant, and I'm a firm believer in locktite on brake parts.

Here is a chart to help with that but I'd guess in the 30% range should be good.

Another option is to use a 1/4 drive ratchet and go good and tight, call it a day. 8-11 ft/lbs is not much, snug plus a bit more will get you there.

That sounds good to me. I’ll put a bit of locktite on the caliper threads and snug em down as u say. Don’t need the hassle of another broken bolt

Sounds excactly like what I did. Didn’t seem to have too much trouble though. Now I’m nervous that I should have had more difficulty.....?
It is easier if you have skinny fingers. I know if I push the axle in far enough to trap my thumbs and then pull it just far enough out to get my thumbs back, that's about an eighth inch too far.

18 is about right for what is essentially a 5/16" quality bolt but I know from all the knuckle savers we've sold that that's just a bit too much for the fronts. I do the same, snug them down, call it good. If I did that with some blue Loctite, I wouldn't worry about it much.

Reactions: Drizit and 04LJ
It is easier if you have skinny fingers. I know if I push the axle in far enough to trap my thumbs and then pull it just far enough out to get my thumbs back, that's about an eighth inch too far.
I have skinny fingers....drove the jeep after I put the shaft in and no more leaks. Being new I am constantly second guessing myself

18 is about right for what is essentially a 5/16" quality bolt but I know from all the knuckle savers we've sold that that's just a bit too much for the fronts. I do the same, snug them down, call it good. If I did that with some blue Loctite, I wouldn't worry about it much.
according to the service manual, which i found a copy by a generous soul on this forum, it is indeed 220in/lbs or approx. 18ft/lbs. i checked at the local jeep dealer parts and they looked it up and have the same value i will be very careful and not to zealous on the next one

thanks all for the help

So those numbers are right after all, cool.

Glad to hear it's all coming together. Second guessing things isn't a bad thing. Sit back, look at it again, make sure it makes sense. If it doesn't ask people. It's the best way to learn and not screw up important stuff like keeping your wheels on and brakes working. Keep wrenching.

Reactions: 04LJ