New Guy From Texas

Johnny-Boy

Hey everyone. First time wrangler owner here from Texas. This '04 Wrangler X was gifted to me by my wonderful grandpa. I know next to nothing about lifts and such so if anyone could explain to me what I have, it would be much appreciated. As far as I can gather, it has the 4.0 with stock Dana 35 in rear and 30 in front. NP 231t-case and on the tranny I don't know. Sitting on 265/75/R15's. I don't know if those are 31's or 30's. It is definitely lifted but to what extent I don't know. I do know that it rides pretty rough. Glad to have it though.

20210520_161625.jpg

20210520_161635.jpg

20210520_161638.jpg

20210520_161646.jpg

20210520_174051.jpg

20210520_174101.jpg

20210520_174120.jpg

20210520_174124.jpg

20210520_174136.jpg

20210520_174203.jpg

Reactions: RINC
Welcome to the jeep world! Looks like you have a 2" body lift and some sort of suspension lift as well. First thing I'd do is get rid of the body lift and put it back to stock, then lose that 2nd steering stabilizer. No need for 2. You can measure the coil springs from where they seat on the lower perch to the upper. Stock is 12" front, 8" rear. Anything over that is your lift.

Welcome to the jeep world! Looks like you have a 2" body lift and some sort of suspension lift as well. First thing I'd do is get rid of the body lift and put it back to stock, then lose that 2nd steering stabilizer. No need for 2. You can measure the coil springs from where they seat on the lower perch to the upper. Stock is 12" front, 8" rear. Anything over that is your lift.
Thank for the tips. Is the body lift a hazard or just unnecessary?

Also can I use the bolts that are in it to take the two inch body lift out? Or should I buy new body mounts?

Also can I use the bolts that are in it to take the two inch body lift out? Or should I buy new body mounts?
Other than it being unsightly, it's not really needed. Most popular body lifts for our jeeps don't go any taller than 1.25". If you take that one off, you'll need shorter bolts.

Reactions: JMT
FYI, there are 13 body mount points. The oft forgotten ones are on each side of the grill and center front. Loosen all of them, remove and replace only one side at a time. I’d buy a Savvy 1.25” to replace. Unbolt the fan shroud before you start, as well as the gas filler bezel and tube. Watch underneath at the TCase shifter. Hopefully it’s a cable shifter. If it’s not you will want one. Look for tire size on tire sidewall. If it’s a number like 245/75/15, look up what that means and the conversion into inches

Welcome to the Forum From Galveston, my Jeep was also a gift from my grandad! He went and sold out and got a 4 door JL Rubi but I prefer the TJ by far lol.

FYI, there are 13 body mount points. The oft forgotten ones are on each side of the grill and center front. Loosen all of them, remove and replace only one side at a time. I’d buy a Savvy 1.25” to replace. Unbolt the fan shroud before you start, as well as the gas filler bezel and tube. Watch underneath at the TCase shifter. Hopefully it’s a cable shifter. If it’s not you will want one. Look for tire size on tire sidewall. If it’s a number like 245/75/15, look up what that means and the conversion into inches
Will do. Thank you for the advice.

Reactions: JMT
Will do. Thank you for the advice.
Welcome to the coolest vehicle on 4 wheels. Take off that top and doors and enjoy TX! I’m from there, 45 years. Miss it

I removed the stabilizer that was unbolted on. I hope that was the right one. But no steering issues after removal or vibration. Thank you for the help

Welcome from Dallas. I like a 1.25" body lift myself. A lot of people dislike the look of body lifts. It doesn't bother me. I like being able to easily clean the frame and the better access when working on things. If you do decide to change the body lift to something else make sure you get a kit that is aluminum and not poly. I had the poly ones and they bulged and the bolts came loose several times.

Cant beat the old piney woods lol
I grew up in Paris,TX, so about 2 hours north. We used to play Longview High and Pine Tree High in soccer back in the day.