New OME 2.0 lift questions

Thanks I do feel better already knowing I am done tearing down my suspension for a while. I am going to install my new 5 1/4 speakers in dash tomorrow, and might have to straighten the steering wheel a tiny bit, but other than that I am going to take it easy tomorrow or should I say today hehe.

Thanks again.
Aren't you afraid that adding speakers in the dash might make it nose heavy, and upset the balance all over again??? :D Really enjoyed your recap of the situation, and the final results. It's a bummer when you have to struggle through something like that. My wife asks me all the time why I don't get pissed about some of the problems I encounter on my old cars, and I just tell her that every situation is a learning experience. I like a challenge, so there's no reason to get upset. T'sall good, right? Anyhow, glad it's over for ya. Hope you feel better soon!

Reactions: ac_
I am not sure if @Daz7 understands or read the beginning of this thread, but I was not trying to get more lift out of my OME. I simply wanted it levelish. With the heavy kit on my Jeep it actually gave me just a touch under 4 inches of lift in the rear and barely 2 inches in the front. This did all sorts of crazy things to my jeep. I am also running 31 duratracs and do not intend on running bigger tires. I was just trying to figure out how to level it.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

I was being generalistic in my comment, however if you did have 4" lift in the rear and barely 2" in front something was "really incorrect" and you would be running into the issues as suggested.

I've just looked at the ARB US Catalogue as some stuff didn't make sense when I compare to the kit I purchased from ARB in Australia.

• It says the 10mm spacers are optional in the US (I didn't get any spaces with my kit) but if you have used them both initially as they were part of the kit supplied, you've added just under 1/2" of lift on top of the springs. Whilst you may have needed the front spacer for leveling, the rears were surplus. So maybe this is a trap for young players if ARB are supplying these in the kits without you ordering them.

• I'm running HD springs all round with no hardtop and no rear seat. I am however running an ARB rear bumper and 32" spare so maybe that added weight isn't giving me the issues you guys are having.

I used the transfer case lowering spacers as I didn't want any dramas, I've always had it in my mind that I was going to install a SYE and adjustable arms at some point anyway to complete the kit.

Glad you feel you have it all sorted :)

Aren't you afraid that adding speakers in the dash might make it nose heavy, and upset the balance all over again??? :D Really enjoyed your recap of the situation, and the final results. It's a bummer when you have to struggle through something like that. My wife asks me all the time why I don't get pissed about some of the problems I encounter on my old cars, and I just tell her that every situation is a learning experience. I like a challenge, so there's no reason to get upset. T'sall good, right? Anyhow, glad it's over for ya. Hope you feel better soon!

Haha, If that happens, I have some spare 3/4 daystar spacers I can add just in case.

So here is the deal. I have a Ram pickup that I use to tow my toy hauler. I went camping last weekend and on the way out the batter was completely dead. I grabbed the spare optima from my trailer and put it in my Ram, then we camped for a couple of days and when I packed up and was ready to go home the spare battery was completely dead. I run two batteries in all of my rigs so I flipped the switch and jumped it with the spare and off I was again. Thinking it would charge on my way home, but when I got home my spare battery from the trailer was dead. The truck is charging and the battery is a known good one, so I have some kind of direct short in my truck somewhere.

I went looking on the internet and found a ton of people with the same issue, but nothing was resolved. I mean tons of threads but nobody ever followed up.

I actually figured out what my issue was and fixed it (I think) I will know more tomorrow, but the reason I bring that up is because I want if someone googles TJ issues and ends up here, they get something that is resolved or not resolved but some kind of closure. Even if it is not exactly their issue maybe it sparks an idea that leads to a resolve. I also especially want to help people that are already here.

As far as me keeping my cool, you don't know how many wrench holes there are in my garage walls. I am not a real cool person. But I can't seem to make good decisions when I lose my mind, so sometimes I have to step away for a bit and make a plan, and then it turns into a challenge, and I almost always accept challenges. It is definitely fun when I kick the challenges ass! Like this thread for instance.

Reactions: JMT and Squatch
Hope you are feeling better soon.

I was being generalistic in my comment, however if you did have 4" lift in the rear and barely 2" in front something was "really incorrect" and you would be running into the issues as suggested.

I've just looked at the ARB US Catalogue as some stuff didn't make sense when I compare to the kit I purchased from ARB in Australia.

• It says the 10mm spacers are optional in the US (I didn't get any spaces with my kit) but if you have used them both initially as they were part of the kit supplied, you've added just under 1/2" of lift on top of the springs. Whilst you may have needed the front spacer for leveling, the rears were surplus. So maybe this is a trap for young players if ARB are supplying these in the kits without you ordering them.

• I'm running HD springs all round with no hardtop and no rear seat. I am however running an ARB rear bumper and 32" spare so maybe that added weight isn't giving me the issues you guys are having.

I used the transfer case lowering spacers as I didn't want any dramas, I've always had it in my mind that I was going to install a SYE and adjustable arms at some point anyway to complete the kit.

Glad you feel you have it all sorted :)

I have never been to Australia but I am assuming your drive is on the opposite side of my TJ that is why they add a A and B spring so your A's will both be on the same side to adjust for power and driver, but since we drive on the opposite side A & B is just a guideline as is the 10mm spacer also a 5MM spacer is available. (as told to me from a ARB representative)

I have heard the same thing from other people that they have heavies all around with no issues too. Now maybe I got miss marked springs, but the ARB guy said my issue is really common, so I don't know what to think. I know that when I pulled my heavies out and put my lights in keeping the same 10mm spacer it actually lowered 3/4 of an inch. So there was a definite ride height difference.

I can't tell you why it works for some and not others except that the ARB guy says "all TJ's are different," so I am assuming mine is fscking eccentric as hell.

Haha, and I do feel I have it sorted now. I do wish I had a more firm answer on why all TJ's are different, but hopefully at the very least I am letting people know that if they do a 2 inch OME chances are they are going to have to do it a few times because "All TJ's are different" lol

Very impressive work resolving that. I wish you didn’t have to go through it all, but you fixed it very quickly. I’m glad your almost level, and happy. Jeep looks great and drives great. What more could you want suspension wise!? Get well friend!

@ac_ I may have missed this detail in this thread, but since you are wanting information in here that would help anyone searching in the future on this issue, can you verify that you ended up in your current suspension setup with 2933 front springs & 2941 rear springs? After initially installing 2942 rear springs?

The reason I ask is, we tend to toss HD & LD around when it comes to OME suspension, when websites can really vary on what that means. Some sites even throw in a 'medium duty' OME variance. I have yet to figure out what that means. Maybe it's what you ended up with ultimately. I did a ton of research prior to ordering my kit with 2932 & 2941 springs (which had no trim spacers included), and probably PM'd @Chris to death on the issue before I could decide. It ended up being those springs & 3/4" spacers front & rear for me that gave me room for 32" tires, no vibrations, and a great ride.

Great thread, btw, I have followed this from day 1. Thanks for detailing your gruelling, it seems, journey to the conclusion with a fix.

Reactions: Chris
I also might add that I appreciate you (@ac_) making this information public (since I know we were PM'ing back and forth about it before). I think this is one of those threads that's going to help people for years and years to come. You can't be the only one who will experience this issue.

The odd thing is that it's so different than my OME experience, which had basically no rake at all.

@ac_ I may have missed this detail in this thread, but since you are wanting information in here that would help anyone searching in the future on this issue, can you verify that you ended up in your current suspension setup with 2933 front springs & 2941 rear springs? After initially installing 2942 rear springs?

The reason I ask is, we tend to toss HD & LD around when it comes to OME suspension, when websites can really vary on what that means. Some sites even throw in a 'medium duty' OME variance. I have yet to figure out what that means. Maybe it's what you ended up with ultimately. I did a ton of research prior to ordering my kit with 2932 & 2941 springs (which had no trim spacers included), and probably PM'd @Chris to death on the issue before I could decide. It ended up being those springs & 3/4" spacers front & rear for me that gave me room for 32" tires, no vibrations, and a great ride.

Great thread, btw, I have followed this from day 1. Thanks for detailing your gruelling, it seems, journey to the conclusion with a fix.

I believe the medium duty is heavy front and light rears. I think there are actually two lifts
One for TJ's and LJ's and one that is for the TJ only.
I believe the medium option is only offered on the TJ only lift.
The differences are for the TJ lift and the LJ lift is nothing with the springs it is what comes with the lift. like steering stabilizer and such. If you order a medium lift i believe you get slightly different options but the same heavy springs up front and light rears.

I see your point so here is a parts list that fixed me up:

2 Old Man Emu Part #: 2933 Front springs Heavy
2 Old Man Emu Part #: 2941 Rear springs Light duty
2 Old Man Emu Part #: OMEJGF10 10MM front spacers
Old Man Emu Part #: FKWTJ02 Rear trackbar bracket
2 Old Man Emu Part #: 60048 Rear shocks
2 Old Man Emu Part #: 60047 Front shocks Heavy load
Old Man Emu Part #: FK16 Rear bump stops

(In the end I removed the trans drop kit. Once I got the rears lowered to a normal level, I didn't need it, and it shifts so much better without it.)

My Tj for reference 98 TJ 4.0 AX15 5p. Front Warn stubby winch bumper and m8000 Winch, Dual batteries (significant because I think the batteries are 40 lbs each). No back seat in rear, soft top, Dirtworx rear bumper with Hilift mounted on it and a 31 spare
Tires are 31x10.5x15 on 5x8 Procomp wheels (actual about 30 inches)

I am kind of hoping that others will also share their experiences on this thread. I know @Ranger_b0b is close to doing the same thing. It will be interesting to see what others are facing and just how different our TJ's really are.

Reactions: Starrs
Btw, I wanted to say thanks to all of you for sticking with me through this, and all of your suggestions. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. I am happy to do that for you all too.

Please anybody reading this thread that is doing a OME 2 inch lift please psst your Jeep type, parts liist or lift kit number. and experience and most of all pictures!

Btw, I wanted to say thanks to all of you for sticking with me through this, and all of your suggestions. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. I am happy to do that for you all too.

Please anybody reading this thread that is doing a OME 2 inch lift please psst your Jeep type, parts liist or lift kit number. and experience and most of all pictures!
Mine will be getting the 3/4" spacers up front on Tuesday. I'll post up when it's finished.

Congrats on getting it sorted out @ac_. The stance is perfect now. Mine has a 0.5" rake as well, and I to, on occasion, haul a trailer, so I'm happy with the stance. Wish I would have went with the 941 rears, but that's water under the bridge being my springs are 10 years old, lol! I'm headed to the shop right now to sort out my rear shock conundrum. I'll post pics of my shenanigans as I go.

I would add that anyone going the OME route, and thinking about posting, take plenty of photos before, during, and after, and of the oem springs next to the OME springs. Those help immensely. Perhaps if @ac_ had seen that visual of the comparison to the stock springs, it might have made a difference. Although it's still a mystery why others have not experienced such a large rake, ie. @Chris, with the HD springs.

Reactions: ac_ and Chris

Job well done and it looks great . I thank you for all of the great information. It will defiantly help when I install my lift.

I just looked up the ARB application guide and noticed that there is really only 1 (2941) spring for both medium and light loads in the rear. They make the lift height different. @ac_ are you running a hard or soft top? If its a soft top, that might account for the wackiness you saw, or at least part of it.
upload_2018-1-20_14-32-45.png

I just looked up the ARB application guide and noticed that there is really only 1 (2941) spring for both medium and light loads in the rear. They make the lift height different. @ac_ are you running a hard or soft top? If its a soft top, that might account for the wackiness you saw, or at least part of it.
View attachment 29468
I am running soft top no back seat 31 in tires and a dirtworx bumper with Hilift jack

I am now running the 2941 2.5 lift in the rear. the softop one according to your matrix abox

I'm whooped, but got done what I needed to for the day. I'll post my findings and pics on my build thread since I'm kind of straying away from the OP's thread. Bout the only thing left OME on my jeep is the springs, and that might change soon.

Reactions: JMT