New Steinjager crossover steering for my 2001

Wow... The responses to this post are pretty disheartening. The poor guy didn't ask for opinions on his mod... Just that he did it. No reason to be a giant prick about it. Just let it be. If OP is really curious why no one is giving him accolades, he'll ask. Then you are free to explain why crossover steering is bad.

Good way to scare off new members, IMHO.

Wow... The responses to this post are pretty disheartening. The poor guy didn't ask for opinions on his mod... Just that he did it. No reason to be a giant prick about it. Just let it be. If OP is really curious why no one is giving him accolades, he'll ask. Then you are free to explain why crossover steering is bad.

If number of members is the goal, sure this matters. However I'd argue it's important to not just be a bunch of "yes men" that root any and all mods, that's how you end up with the JK builds you see running around with train engine front ends. The number of users past some healthy discussion threshold really only matters to someone that owns the forum.

Reactions: L J and pc1p
As far as a TJ goes with factory width axles, there are no benefits.

In fact, the OP made a big mistake by going with such a garbage steering setup. I know that no one wants to hear they just essentially downgraded their TJ, but in this case that's just what the OP did.

Live and learn!
Cancel culture! 😡

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

It's a rock and a hard place. Post #3 opened the door to the tech explanation that needed to happen. In a perfect world, everyone would respond to that and politely leave the OP out of it.

Regardless, Steinjager has a fairly unique ability to re-issue and regurgitate every garbage modification that has ever been done to the TJ. I can't wait for them to start ripping off Metalcloak!

If "Crossover Steering" so bad why does it come on the JK's and JL's?

I had it on my converted 4 runners front Dana 44 and never had any issue with it.

The one thing I have issue with the Steinjager setup is the use of Heims.
They don't last as long as a TRE.

If "Crossover Steering" so bad why does it come on the JK's and JL's?

Wider axles have more room to package the steering with the track bar.

Crossover can be done well on a stock TJ axle, but you will be attaching the track bar out towards the inner C.

Wider axles have more room to package the steering with the track bar.

Crossover can be done well on a stock TJ axle, but you will be attaching the track bar out towards the inner C.
Ha! Funny thing, A friend gave me a brand new Rusty's Steering setup. He went with Dana 60 and didn't use it.
I looked at it and I could not figure on what to do with the track bar..

So it's sits in the corner of my garage collecting dust.

Ha! Funny thing, A friend gave me a brand new Rusty's Steering setup. He went with Dana 60 and didn't use it.
I looked at it and I could not figure on what to do with the track bar..

So it's sits in the corner of my garage collecting dust.

Rusty's.jpg

If number of members is the goal, sure this matters. However I'd argue it's important to not just be a bunch of "yes men" that root any and all mods, that's how you end up with the JK builds you see running around with train engine front ends. The number of users past some healthy discussion threshold really only matters to someone that owns the forum.
Read my post again. I didn't say we needed to root him on. I just said that blasting him wasn't beneficial. The OP didn't say, "what do you think if my new mod." He just whipped his dick out on the table and said, "See, there it is."
He was showing off or trolling. If he's trolling, the forum fell for it, hook, line and sinker. If he's showing off, meh, whatever. Not my build, but whatever. Or... If he is genuine, and cares and his build, maybe he might wonder why he didn't get the reaction he thought he should. Then he might ask the question and be in a place where he's willing to abstain and understand the answer.

Now... Good luck trying to change his mind about anything.

It's a rock and a hard place. Post #3 opened the door to the tech explanation that needed to happen. In a perfect world, everyone would respond to that and politely leave the OP out of it.

Regardless, Steinjager has a fairly unique ability to re-issue and regurgitate every garbage modification that has ever been done to the TJ. I can't wait for them to start ripping off Metalcloak!
I get it. It's the guy's first post though.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t seen a single thing that Steinjaeger produces that doesn’t look iffy as hell.

Reactions: Blackjack
Read my post again. I didn't say we needed to root him on. I just said that blasting him wasn't beneficial. The OP didn't say, "what do you think if my new mod." He just whipped his dick out on the table and said, "See, there it is."
He was showing off or trolling. If he's trolling, the forum fell for it, hook, line and sinker. If he's showing off, meh, whatever. Not my build, but whatever. Or... If he is genuine, and cares and his build, maybe he might wonder why he didn't get the reaction he thought he should. Then he might ask the question and be in a place where he's willing to abstain and understand the answer.

Now... Good luck trying to change his mind about anything.
I'd approach the first post differently, but I still stand by everything I said.

Reactions: L J and pc1p
In this case, it makes the toe in a bitch to adjust, helps you figure out how to diagnose bump steer easily, increases the likelihood of DW, and makes centering the steering wheel much harder. Oh, if you play in the rocks or where you can run the tie rod into stuff, it makes it very easy to really increase the wear since the angled tie rod bends put a lot of force against the rod end body and ball in the worst direction possible. Other than that, not many downsides.
Question, what are the benefits NOT IN THIS CASE ??
It seems like this style steering has quite a following with the big desert rock crowd using hydraulic cylinder assist.
I've seen photos of several very shiny high dollar Rock TJ's using some form of crossover steering.
Thanks Blaine !
Good luck with the Title defense brother !!!:cool:

Question, what are the benefits NOT IN THIS CASE ??
It seems like this style steering has quite a following with the big desert rock crowd using hydraulic cylinder assist.
I've seen photos of several very shiny high dollar Rock TJ's using some form of crossover steering.
Thanks Blaine !
Good luck with the Title defense brother !!!:cool:
It's a generally a better steering setup, except for when it doesn't package well.

Reactions: pc1p and TWiG01