New TJ owner

I have yet to find a single set of fog light replacements I like that cost less than $400, honestly. If you find something, be sure to let me know. All the cheap ones just look like that typical Chinese crap that doesn't belong on a TJ in my mind.

Kind of what I was finding and thinking as well, but I haven't spent a ton of time looking around yet. Was hoping you had a better/cheaper solution...lol. Is it taboo to put smaller fog lights on? The stock ones (7# I think) just look too big to me. Was thinking something around 4-4.5" would look good?

Kind of what I was finding and thinking as well, but I haven't spent a ton of time looking around yet. Was hoping you had a better/cheaper solution...lol. Is it taboo to put smaller fog lights on? The stock ones (7# I think) just look too big to me. Was thinking something around 4-4.5" would look good?

Ive spent a lot of time looking and haven’t found anything. With smaller fog lights it just looks weird in my mind.

Ive spent a lot of time looking and haven’t found anything. With smaller fog lights it just looks weird in my mind.

Noted. I went with LED cubes on my JK- clear on the pillars and amber on the bumper. I like having the amber ones being that I'm out in the desert and they really seem to cut through the dusty conditions without the glare at night. I will definitely be sticking with round lights on the TJ.

Was looking at these- https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led-lights/lifetime-led-lights-45-round-42w. They are only 4.5" though. Both my sets of cubes on my Jk are from Lifetime and they have held up well so far and happy with them.

These are my favorites:

https://www.visionxusa.com/shop/4-5-light-cannon/
Not cheap, but bright as hell, and top notch quality.

The ones you linked to just look too modern whereas the TJ looks like it needs something more classic I feel like.

These are my favorites:

https://www.visionxusa.com/shop/4-5-light-cannon/
Not cheap, but bright as hell, and top notch quality.

The ones you linked to just look too modern whereas the TJ looks like it needs something more classic I feel like.

Those vision's are very nice and just like everything, you get what you pay for. I do agree with the Lifetime's being too modern. That's partly why I wanted to try the H4 harness from Ksuspension- wanted to keep the factory appearance. Was looking earlier today at some Hella Halogen fog lights and really liked the factory type look they had. Not sure how they perform, but definitely liked the look.

@Billy06, congratulations on your new TJR. What a great platform. At 2” you probably will not have vibes, but don’t quote me on that. What’s your final tire size?

@Billy06, congratulations on your new TJR. What a great platform. At 2” you probably will not have vibes, but don’t quote me on that. What’s your final tire size?

Thanks man. Once the 2" lift is on, I'm hoping to fit a 285-75-16. It currently has 245's on it now without the lift.

Thanks man. Once the 2" lift is on, I'm hoping to fit a 285-75-16. It currently has 245's on it now without the lift.
That tire size will work well with 2“ of lift. Is that your final tire size? You said something about a stretch and long arms.

That tire size will work well with 2“ of lift. Is that your final tire size? You said something about a stretch and long arms.

Eventually, once the stretch and long arm is on, I would probably be looking at swapping out the 2'' for 3.5" coils and running 37's, along with highline fenders. Would rather keep the lift height as low as possible when it's all said and done, but this is all a couple years down the road. None of that is set in stone, as I haven't starting accumulating parts for that project yet. For now, I'm trying to get it up in the air just a bit higher while making it a little more capable on the trail. This allows me to use it for the time being while I formulate a long-term plan...and figure out how to pay for it!

Reactions: JMT
See @toximus thread for 37’s, Also, take a look @IH8MUD. I think his thread is closed, but he was running 36.8’s with 2.5” OME and MC’s up front with a modified stock cut on the rear. I would rethink long arms.

Reactions: Alex01
See @toximus thread for 37’s, Also, take a look @IH8MUD. I think his thread is closed, but he was running 36.8’s with 2.5” OME and MC’s up front with a modified stock cut on the rear. I would rethink long arms.

I will definitely take a look at those threads, thanks. My first thoughts were a Metalcloak short arm kit, as I am running their stuff on my JK and have nothing but good things to say about the company and their products. From what I've read so far, Metalcloak doesn't get much love from the TJ guys. Haven't really read any good reason why, just a lot of guys saying Currie and Savvy are the way to go. Once I started looking at a stretch, it seems all the ones I've seen and the info I've found so far all center around long arms, or custom arms anyways. Haven't done a stretch before, so still tons of info I still need to gather and tons to learn before any of that starts. The stretch's I'm looking at are similar to what GenRight and TNT Customs offers, and not necessarily any sort of frame stretch, like the TJ6 stretch.

Reactions: Alex01 and JMT
I will definitely take a look at those threads, thanks. My first thoughts were a Metalcloak short arm kit, as I am running their stuff on my JK and have nothing but good things to say about the company and their products. From what I've read so far, Metalcloak doesn't get much love from the TJ guys. Haven't really read any good reason why, just a lot of guys saying Currie and Savvy are the way to go. Once I started looking at a stretch, it seems all the ones I've seen and the info I've found so far all center around long arms, or custom arms anyways. Haven't done a stretch before, so still tons of info I still need to gather and tons to learn before any of that starts. The stretch's I'm looking at are similar to what GenRight and TNT Customs offers, and not necessarily any sort of frame stretch, like the TJ6 stretch.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-octane-a-streetable-adventure-lj-story.9956/

I ended up going with some 4.5" Ecco LED's, and mounted them on my fairlead roller. Still not quite the look I wanted, but it works for now.
20200901_134553.jpg

Yeah, MC is a mixed bag over here. I run their control arms, but I'm not a fan of their coil spring design so much.

I ended up going with some 4.5" Ecco LED's, and mounted them on my fairlead roller. Still not quite the look I wanted, but it works for now.
View attachment 188645
Yeah, MC is a mixed bag over here. I run their control arms, but I'm not a fan of their coil spring design so much.

Thanks for the pic. I think Chris is right, the 4.5'' lights look a tad too small (for my taste) now that I see yours. I've been super happy with my MC so far. I bought my JK and it had a Rough Country lift on it. Switching everything over to MC was night and day difference. A buddy had a Rubicon Express kit on his and once he drove mine he switched over to MC as well. There's a lot of good companies out there and not opposed to trying different ones.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Thanks for the massive link. I'm on page 5 and my head is already spinning! Feel like I'm going to have to re-read it a few times for it all to sink in.
Running 37's is no joke! I'm sticking with a TJ on 33's. If I want to go to 35's it's a small jump now. I think I just need the springs, shocks, big brake kit, and rear 4340 shafts for my Dana 44.

Savvy is the best. Not many have done the TNT thing, but I find some of their products interesting, like their Rock Sliders. MC is a little good, most not so good. Their marketing is a lot of hype. I think that's where people have problems. For example, I like the looks of some of their things, but what they are claiming, clearance wise, has been tested and is not true. Some of their claims work up to certain tire sizes, but not when you go beyond those tire sizes (they don't tell you that). Their springs amount to a spacer at the top, so you're effectively running a linear spring, not dual or progressive.

Running 37's is no joke! I'm sticking with a TJ on 33's. If I want to go to 35's it's a small jump now. I think I just need the springs, shocks, big brake kit, and rear 4340 shafts for my Dana 44.

I agree on the 37's. I'm running 35's on my JK and very happy with them. It probably sees more street time then trail time, so don't see the need for anything bigger on that one. The TJ will eventually be more of a trail rig than street, so I don't mind putting in the time and resources needed. Once I start adding up the cost, I may change my mind though...lol.

A TJ on 35's is awesome. Heck, mine on 33's is awesome with the flat belly. As toximus said, his LJ on 37's will be equivalent to a well set up TJ on 35's as far as capability. Not trying to discourage you from going to 37's. I can, however, count on one hand the number of people I have seen on here go to 37's since January of 2017. Of course, there are many others I know locally who don't do forums who are on 37's. A lot of them, in my estimation, are poorly set up.

The great thing about this forum is that there's a LOT of knowledge and a good core group that are enthusiasts, willing to spend the money to get it right the first time (many of them are doing it their second of third time). In the end, a properly put together rig will outperform an improperly set up rig with bigger tires.

37's would be awesome properly set up, as @toximus is doing. He's been at it for awhile! There's a big learning curve since so much of it is fabbed. I believe he's got my passenger side window on his and I've got some of his parts on mine. 🤣

A great group of people here. I'll enjoy watching yours grow. 🤣

A TJ on 35's is awesome. Heck, mine on 33's is awesome with the flat belly. As toximus said, his LJ on 37's will be equivalent to a well set up TJ on 35's as far as capability. Not trying to discourage you from going to 37's. I can, however, count on one hand the number of people I have seen on here go to 37's since January of 2017. Of course, there are many others I know locally who don't do forums who are on 37's. A lot of them, in my estimation, are poorly set up.

The great thing about this forum is that there's a LOT of knowledge and a good core group that are enthusiasts, willing to spend the money to get it right the first time (many of them are doing it their second of third time). In the end, a properly put together rig will outperform an improperly set up rig with bigger tires.

37's would be awesome properly set up, as @toximus is doing. He's been at it for awhile! There's a big learning curve since so much of it is fabbed. I believe he's got my passenger side window on his and I've got some of his parts on mine. 🤣

A great group of people here. I'll enjoy watching yours grow. 🤣

I've been surprised, happy, and excited since stumbling on this forum. I've been on Wranglerforum for a while, but the TJ section is lacking, in my opinion. I feel like there is a lot more traffic and info on here, which is awesome. I do need to educate myself a bit more on the belly/tummy tuck. Looks like a needed and effective mod.