New TJ owner

CTJeep

Hey guys, (1998 TJ Wranger 5speed 4.0L)
first time TJ owner here, growing up I’ve always wanted a jeep so May2020 I decided to buy a shit box to build up. Most definitely overpaid on it but I have been putting in a lot of work into it . So far I have changed or put it
Removed that terrible grill
Dana 44 Rear
Dana 30 Front
Frame rebuilt with adjustable perches
clutch
Ujoints
New brake cables/hoses
Upper and lower ball joints
New brake rotors and pads
Drop arm to correct lift that it came with
And new backing plates for rear axle

Dude cut out the exhaust so I’m looking forward to buy one and install and eventually get my floor pans replaced as they are rotted.

Any suggestions on what I should do next ?

BBD9A32D-B3CE-49D4-B33A-83D4F5D28380.jpeg

672D964A-0D51-4109-837E-68C87E2602FD.jpeg

Mostly looking mechanical repairs or changes before i start cosmetics
Being that you are in the NE, go over the frame with a fine tooth comb, and look for ANY rust, inside and out. Either buy, rent, or borrow a bore scope camera to look inside the frame, everywhere. If you have rot in the floors, id bet you have it in the frame...

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Welcome to the forum!

You're in the right place for info on your ride. Let us know what your build plans are, but be warned, you're gonna get dogged about the grill! Most guys here can't stand the "angry" jeep grills :ROFLMAO:

Being that you are in the NE, go over the frame with a fine tooth comb, and look for ANY rust, inside and out. Either buy, rent, or borrow a bore scope camera to look inside the frame, everywhere. If you have rot in the floors, id bet you have it in the frame...
Hey thanks, I already got most of the rust taken out of the frame. Only rust left is in the engine bay in hard to reach spots. Only way to access it is to remove engine
Welcome to the forum!

You're in the right place for info on your ride. Let us know what your build plans are, but be warned, you're gonna get dogged about the grill! Most guys here can't stand the "angry" jeep grills :ROFLMAO:
yeah I ripped that thing off man I didn’t like it at all either

Being in California, and a Giants and A's fan, we usually don't speak well of the Yankees. But since you're a Jeep owner, that gives you a pass in my book :ROFLMAO:

We'll have to see what happens this coming season. The virus crap has hurt every team.

Reactions: Pete Updike
Being in California, and a Giants and A's fan, we usually don't speak well of the Yankees. But since you're a Jeep owner, that gives you a pass in my book :ROFLMAO:

We'll have to see what happens this coming season. The virus crap has hurt every team.
Haha NY giants, NY Yankees all day ! And yeah man it sucks seeing the MLB struggle as a whole . Padres looking stacked man might have to switch teams soon 👀 I don’t see coming from the giants till a couple rebuilding seasons, The As are always a B+ team

A's were always a team of great guys nobody ever heard of, then once they were known, they'd get traded cuz they cost too much. Hard to have a dynasty type team like that.

Yeah, used to be the NY Giants. Happy to see them finally get a win in SF. Don't know when that'll happen again, but I'm always hopeful. I'm a homie for the Bay Area teams. what can I say. 😸

A's were always a team of great guys nobody ever heard of, then once they were known, they'd get traded cuz they cost too much. Hard to have a dynasty type team like that.

Yeah, used to be the NY Giants. Happy to see them finally get a win in SF. Don't know when that'll happen again, but I'm always hopeful. I'm a homie for the Bay Area teams. what can I say. 😸
Stay strong good things will come your way

Reactions: Modoc Guy
That thing had the JK trifecta. Angry grill, light bar, and black wheels. :)

Looks like you might be due for tires.

And front tow points if you plan to wheel it.

Last edited:
Welcome from another CT guy! If you're looking to get your jeep off-road check out Northeast Jeep Org! We have access to some trails in CT. If not there's a half dozen Facebook groups of jeep folks who do a lot of meet ups.

I have two replacement floor pans in the garage that have been with me for at least 3 moves. When you’re ready let me know, you can have them for shipping.
Hey if you want to contact me on facebook my username is Juan Otanez I have the same profile picture as my forum picture . Or if you want I can contact you I am more than ready for some floor pans right now

Welcome from another CT guy! If you're looking to get your jeep off-road check out Northeast Jeep Org! We have access to some trails in CT. If not there's a half dozen Facebook groups of jeep folks who do a lot of meet ups.
Thanks man I appreciate it , will do some research