New TJ, what lift?

Alex M.

Supporting Member
I recently sold my 98 XJ to buy a 2002 Wrangler TJ Sahara.

I'm wanting to lift it as the first order of business but I with all the lifts out there I am trying to get a general consensus for what the most popular choices are.

Let me start by saying this will be mostly a daily driver with occasional off-road use. I'm looking for around 2-3" of lift and I'm not interest in long arms. I want something mild, but effective that would be able to hopefully fit 33" tires.

Thanks
Alex

Look at the OME and BDS 2" lifts. Both are well regarded by people who have them. The OME is a bit more expensive and may have a softer ride while the BDS is very reasonable for what you are getting and has a bit firmer ride. You can order OME springs that have different spring rates so that it can be very closely tailored to your needs. Expect to need bump stop adjustments as well as the actual kit. This is very important to keep from damaging components on your Jeep. There are other items that are nice to have's, but can be added later.

Either of these lifts will accommodate 33" tires with the addition of a 1 to 1 1/2" body lift. Wheel offset will become an issue with that size tire as well. To fit 33x12.50 - 15 tires on a TJ, and use it off road you may wish to look into the following items:

Spring lift
Shocks to match springs
Bump stop extensions
Body lift
Motor mount lift
Fenders
Gears for the differentials

If this is for looks, and not really for off road utility, go with spring spacers, shocks and bump stops. You are still going to need to look at re-gearing to accommodate the much larger tires. Your performance with stock gearing will vary from bad to abysmal depending on the gear ratio you currently have. Your current gear ratio is stamped on a tag on your differentials.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, ask away!

Reactions: Chris
I personally have the OME 2.5" HD lift and absolutely love it, it's worth every penny. I will say that if you go the OME route you want to make sure to get the HD kit. Most people who don't get the HD kit later regret it. HD stands for Heavy Duty, and refers to the higher rated springs in this kit.

If you're like the majority of us and have a hard top, a winch, heavy bumpers, tires, etc. you absolutely need the HD springs. The standard springs won't ride well with all the extra weight, and they'll sag much easier as well.

I can tell you that the 2.5" OME HD lift with a 1.25" body lift will easily accommodate 33" tires and it will be a very nice lift as well.

You'll obviously need to make sure that you either have a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) or transfer case drop brackets if you plan on lifting your Jeep. If you don't have one of those you'll almost certainly encounter driveline vibrations which won't be good.

Last but not least, you're going to need proper bump stops and adjustable front and rear track bars if you want to do it right.

I pieced my lift together part-by-part. However, if I could do it all over I would have saved a ton of money (and time) just purchasing the DPG Off-Road OME Ultimate Lift Kit. This kit includes the complete OME HD kit, body lift, adjustable track bars, motor mount lift, bump stops, and every single thing you'll need to get your Jeep setup properly.

Not only that, but all of the components included in this kit are top notch quality! I HIGHLY recommend this kit, and if you ask around you'll see this is one of the more popular lift setups for the TJ.

There are plenty of other options out there for lifts, I'm just giving you one of the more popular 'complete' kits.

My last piece of advice is to stay away from Rough Country and Rusty's lifts. Those lifts are widely regarded as having crappy ride quality and sub-par components.

I've had good luck with Rubicon Express. 5 lifts on 5 different Jeeps. No issues.

Rubicon Express (from what I hear) is supposed to be pretty good.

Metalcloak or Currie are also two other super options, but very, very pricey!

Actually before a lift I'd do a HighLine... Actually I did.

2" AEV HighLine and 33s on a TJ.... no lift. no clearance issues.
I have since added a 2" lift.... probably ego.
DSC_0170.jpg

Reactions: Sasquatchewan
AEVs was straight bolt on... fabulous kit. Not sure about the rest but I think there is more work relocating the underhood items mounting to the inner fenders. AEV just modifies the stock inner fender, adding a strip of metal just under the flat top to raise the flat top. And they cut away a triangle at the rear of the wheel opening. All pretty easy to do in a driveway. AEV still sell a fibreglass HighLine hood. The hard part will be new plastic? flares.

I really like the Metal Cloak product but they leave on your own to address signals and side markers.

I'm considering the highline so I'll have to look into this. I too like the Metalcloak product, but the signals and side markers would be an issue for me. Your Jeep looks really good!

I recently did a skyjacker 4 inch lift. I have 33x12.50 tires and I have no issues no squeaks very happy with it. The kit comes with everything you need including the transfer case drop kit.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I recently did a skyjacker 4 inch lift. I have 33x12.50 tires and I have no issues no squeaks very happy with it. The kit comes with everything you need including the transfer case drop kit.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Really? That's good news I guess. Usually I hear horrible things about Skyjacker and Rough Country.

I don't usually recommend something I personally have not used, but I have been hearing good things about the zone lifts. Pretty comprehensive kits really well price from what I've seen. From what I've read their 3.5 (I believe) has everything and doesn't need an sye kit. Let us know which way you go.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I ended up going with the DPG ultimate OME kit. I am going to have it installed next week so I'll let you know.

I run a Currie 4" suspension lift but for a first lift, it'd be real hard to beat the Old Man Emu 2.5" or the Zone 4.25" which combines a 3" suspension lift together with a 1.25" body lift. It's significantly easier and less costly to get a 2-3" suspension set up and working well than it is a 4" or taller suspension lift.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
It's significantly easier and less costly to get a 2-3" suspension set up and working well than it is a 4" or taller suspension lift.

I'm finding this out first hand as I prep for my 4" Currie lift! Lots of money indeed.

I do agree that the OME lift is a fantastic lift for the money (it's on my rig now). The ONLY reason I am upgrading at all is for more height and my love for all things Currie. I figured if I am going to get the Currie control arms I may as well get the entire kit since I already have the Currectlync and the Antirock.