New to all things jeep

KadinBanc

Hey everyone. I bought a 1998 Wrangler SE two days ago and this is the first jeep I have ever owned. I got it for a pretty decent price in my opinion but it definitely has work that needs to be done to it. I don't know how active this forum is, but I would love any help people are willing to give. The first thing that I am working on is getting a new front end. From what I have read, the SE comes with the Dana 30 4.10 Axle? What would be the best way to go about getting one of these. eBay? Wrecking yards? I have tons of questions so if this gets any activity I will be sure to throw them out there. Thanks!
Kadin

Welcome. There’s a lot of activity on this forum.

Why do you need a whole new front axle? Is your housing bent?
The right one is cracked on the rear. I am pretty sure the entire housing is a little bowed as well.
Awesome! That is good to hear.

IMG_0745.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg

Hmm. I’d search Facebook market place or eBay. But shop around and get a good idea of the asking prices. Some people give the axles away when doing axle swaps.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Your in California. Good shops are everywhere. Shoot, I bet there are shops with Dana 30s sitting in the back waiting to be scrapped. Call around, and do some leg work.
Alright, will do! A couple of scrap yards had them, but they were all asking $600+. Ill keep checking around.

Jeep Cherokees also has Dana 30s in the front. '96-99 had High Pinion D30s (HP30), which are slightly stronger than what you have. 00-01 they had the same Dana 30 your TJ has. Both will bolt right in to your Jeep.

At least up here, the local Pick n Pull junk yards have no Wranglers but we have lots of Cherokees. I got an HP30 for $75 after I removed the brakes and stuff, which I just moved from my old Dana 30 into the HP30.

You'll have to find a 4 cylinder Cherokee to find one with 4.10 gears, like yours. You'll burn $500 regearing if you accidentally get one with the wrong gears.

Long story short, $500 is crazy for a Dana 30. Keep an eye on FB, Craigslist, or hit the junk yard.

I saw that and contacted him but how would I go about getting the ratio changed to 4.10?
You can get the gears from these guys. https://www.revolutiongear.com/

As for getting them installed, find yourself a local offroading club and ask them who in your area they trust to do regearing. You can go to 4 Wheel Parts, but they'll overcharge you. That said, the labor is more than the cost of the axle and gears, so definitely focus of trying to find the right an axle with the right gears as a starting position.

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
It looks like there is a lot of rust under there. Pull your skidplate to check for the bad stuff. You'll need to support the trans with a Jack before you drop the skid. If you can send some pics of the whole underside and frame we can give you some more help of other problems you might have under there.

Is just the lower control arms being bent the problem? If so, that is a pretty easy fix.

X2. Artec sells lower control arm mounts for $50. Though I would verify that your tube is or is not bent first. It hasn't been mentioned yet, but make sure whatever you gear the front to matches the rear.

Are you 100% sure that you have 4.10s? There should be a tag between 2 bolts on the diff cover that say what the gear ratio is. Or you can lift the front end and rotate a tire 2x (open diff) and count the driveshaft revolutions. If it turns just over 4x with 2 revolutions of a wheel then you will be sure of what you currently have in there.

Hey everyone. I bought a 1998 Wrangler SE two days ago and this is the first jeep I have ever owned. I got it for a pretty decent price in my opinion but it definitely has work that needs to be done to it. I don't know how active this forum is, but I would love any help people are willing to give. The first thing that I am working on is getting a new front end. From what I have read, the SE comes with the Dana 30 4.10 Axle? What would be the best way to go about getting one of these. eBay? Wrecking yards? I have tons of questions so if this gets any activity I will be sure to throw them out there. Thanks!
Kadin
Looking at the pic tater tot , all you need is a control arm mount welded on ..a good welder can weld it inside and out, it's only welded outside at the factory ..so it will be even stronger.

Active? Dude , we pull peoples' keys and wheels and send fines for improper conduct , press charges , report people to several agencies , govern all TJ activities in the Continental United States and Canada (and boy they need help too). We regulate all TJ regearing decisions for those that qualify , remove light bars, and govern aftermarket parts applications.

Also, we just saved you 500 dollars plus , we get 10% . We don't work cheap , got parts to buy.

Welcome to the TJ Forum , I'm the only guy you can trust past 10 p.m eastern time on here son . Do you like Gladiator movies ? (Movie "Airplane" joke).

You will find the best TJ knowledge right here.

Reactions: TrueTexas
Looking at the pic tater tot , all you need is a control arm mount welded on ..a good welder can weld it inside and out, it's only welded outside at the factory ..so it will be even stronger.

Active? Dude , we pull peoples' keys and wheels and send fines for improper conduct , press charges , report people to several agencies , govern all TJ activities in the Continental United States and Canada (and boy they need help too). We regulate all TJ regearing decisions for those that qualify , remove light bars, and govern aftermarket parts applications.

Also, we just saved you 500 dollars plus , we get 10% . We don't work cheap , got parts to buy.

Welcome to the TJ Forum , I'm the only guy you can trust past 10 p.m eastern time on here son . Do you like Gladiator movies ? (Movie "Airplane" joke).

You will find the best TJ knowledge right here.
I don't trust anyone that looks at pics of tater tots .

Reactions: AndyG
That's 'cause a lot of us are old!👴 We have to be in bed by 9:00 otherwise we won't be getting up at 4:30 am to complain about the newspaper being late! 😁(You young 'uns can Google 'newspaper')

Reactions: N757KF and AndyG