New Tow Pig - Considering a Topper - Thoughts?

NashvilleTJ

I miss the snow...
Ride of the Month Winner
Lifetime Supporting Member
First, I will understand if you give me grief for lack of originality, but I just picked up a new tow pig:

Here it is next to the old tow pig.

606645AD-FA9A-4BBF-A14D-562A54633F68.jpeg

In the old tow pig, I ran a sliding Truck Covers USA bed cover and tool box. Waterproof, secure, and durable:

69C3629F-389F-49CD-959B-04893549431F.jpeg

But, I was always running out of space - especially on big trips like Moab.

So for the new pig I am considering a topper. I do still want to run a tool box in the front mounted up a bit off the floor so I can still get full sheets of plywood, etc., in the bed. But I’m concerned it will be a pain to get to the tools having to crawl into the bed every time. Perhaps side opening windows would help? Will a tool box like this even work with a topper?

I’d like it to be lockable - ideally somehow locked by the locking tailgate - waterproof, and styled to match the lines of the truck.

Any recommendations for a good solution? I’ve looked at several, all in the 3-5 grand range. Any names to stay away from? Any other issues with a topper setup? Any other solutions I should consider?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Last edited:
But I’m concerned it will be a pain to get to the tools having to crawl into the bed every time.

With a traditional front mounted box, it will be a pain because you will have to climb in there.

Perhaps side opening windows would help?

They help, but it's still inconvenient.

Will a tool box like this even work with a topper?

It will need to be a below-the-rails box, but it will still be inconvenient to access.

With a top, I'd look at two of those side mounted boxes, some even swing out to you. (I haven't owned any)

1713362080388.png

1713362153352.png

Nice truck. I have a Snug Top canopy on my Dodge that I've had for 16 years.
truck canopy.jpg

Its fine and functional. We got it for the dogs when the kids were in the back seat. The door is not as waterproof as you might think and needs periodic maintenance. The canopy also blocks your view somewhat. Lastly, I'm a windows down when ever possible person and the sliding rear window on pickups is one of my favorite things because, when open, it eliminates the wind buffeting from the other windows being open. That doesn't work with the top. You just get a lot of road noise. Now that the kids are grown and the dogs got promoted to the back seat, I may go to some kind of roll up bed cover this year.

Nice truck!

I've had the swing out carriers, (Swing Case) and I can't recommend them. They are not very durable. Mine only lasted a few years before I started having issues. First the hinges broke, then the swing latch. Once the swing latch broke, it put a bunch on stress on the self tapping screws and those tore through the sheet metal. Its a good design, but needs to be made more robust.

I'm looking at the decked system for my colorado.

A coworker of mine had a topper on his last truck. His toolbox was a smaller jobox that was secured to the floor of the bed, so it didn't take up any bedrail space allowing him to run the topper. But...that won't keep you from having to climb into the back of the bed to get what you need out of the box.

I think @BlueC is on to something with the side mounted boxes....

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Lots to consider - including just switching over my current sliding cover. Took some measurements today, and it looks like it would fit if I go that route.

I do like the idea of a slider combined with a topper. Good access to tools and other stuff, and still some decent storage above it.

Not crazy about the side mounted tool boxes. Seem like it would be tough to get to tools, etc, if the bed was full of stuff. Also, still crawling in to get to stuff.

Lots of good options to consider.

The problem with a "topper" - which we used to call a "camper shell" - is that it will slow the vehicle down by 75%. I'm joking around of course, but it seems to me that every time I see a pickup truck with a cap, its slow - especially if its a mini-truck. As yours is not, perhaps that rule won't apply as much! ;) :D

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
The problem with a "topper" - which we used to call a "camper shell" - is that it will slow the vehicle down by 75%. I'm joking around of course, but it seems to me that every time I see a pickup truck with a cap, its slow

That's an age based issue. At 75% under, that guy is 75 years old. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba
The problem with a "topper" - which we used to call a "camper shell" - is that it will slow the vehicle down by 75%. I'm joking around of course, but it seems to me that every time I see a pickup truck with a cap, its slow - especially if its a mini-truck. As yours is not, perhaps that rule won't apply as much! ;) :D

That engine won’t notice that there’s anything back there.

If Jeff drives the truck like his Jeep, he’ll be fine.