New weather strip made the door not close

myjeep3

TJ Enthusiast
I ordered these door weather stripping from extremeterrain https://www.extremeterrain.com/omix-ada-passenger-outer-tj-1230312.html
I cant close the door after installation. They bottom and side seam to be too bulky to fit.
Is there any tricks to make it work? these were about $45 each door.

20200109_202046.jpg

I bought OEM seals. I used to be able to close the doors with the lightest touch. Now, I have to use much more force. I’m assuming you closed them pretty hard.

I bought OEM seals. I used to be able to close the doors with the lightest touch. Now, I have to use much more force. I’m assuming you closed them pretty hard.
I do close them really hard..but still not closing. I push them as hard as i can but still not going..

It looks like the hard top is pushed awfully close to the door. Try loosening the hardtop and pulling it rearward and then retighten. That might give the thicker seals more room. Also, do you have that little rubber wedge looking thing that goes between the hard top and the tub? Can't think of iits name. It lifts the top up a smidge (technical jargon) to give the doors a bit more room at the top of the door.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
When I got new seals for my VW Bus, my doors didn't close like they used to. I was told it was because of the seals being thick from being new. People told me I would have to adjust my door out a little to make it close better. Of course I never did that and just kept closing the door hard, and now it closes fine. I was to chicken to mess with adjusting them.

So maybe that would help, if you adjusted to door out a little??

Also, do you have that little rubber wedge looking thing that goes between the hard top and the tub? Can't think of iits name. It lifts the top up a smidge (technical jargon) to give the doors a bit more room at the top of the door.

Mucket seals. (y)

When I got new seals for my VW Bus, my doors didn't close like they used to. I was told it was because of the seals being thick from being new. People told me I would have to adjust my door out a little to make it close better. Of course I never did that and just kept closing the door hard, and now it closes fine. I was to chicken to mess with adjusting them.

So maybe that would help, if you adjusted to door out a little??
It looks like the hard top is pushed awfully close to the door. Try loosening the hardtop and pulling it rearward and then retighten. That might give the thicker seals more room. Also, do you have that little rubber wedge looking thing that goes between the hard top and the tub? Can't think of iits name. It lifts the top up a smidge (technical jargon) to give the doors a bit more room at the top of the door.
I dont see any rubber that goes between the hardtop and tub beside the thin seal under around the tub. Reinstalled it just the way it was before reassembling.
I did try to adjst the door up and more in and the door seem to close little better..now its pushed out just a lil bit at at the bottom. Wll take a pic tomorrow..

I see.. what the point of it ?? It is so that the hardtop lift up a lil above the door so that the door can be adjusted to go up more?

I always thought it was just a seal for the area where the hardtop, tub and door meet.

It's a fairly firm rubber. I know they are supposed to be under the hardtop. Not needed with the soft top, but I still keep them under the door surrounds for the soft top so they don't get lost and the doors are the same, so why not.
I thought they were to help seal the gap between the top and the tub while working as a spacer to ensure good door seal and door height space.

are those tubes pipes from the rollcage that bolt onto the windshield frame adjustable? I remote the 2 bolts on each side, pushed the windshield frame out a little, then my door seem to have more room and somehow fits better, but now those tubes wont reach the windshield frame. Seem like i will need longer bolts and some washers to make it work, or if I can adjust them to more forward more, then i can reuse the bolts. I see a bolt on each side.

I have the same problem with my 1997 TJ's new weatherstrip. I was wondering what those little rubber things were. They are sitting in the console. I will install them and raise the doors a bit and report back.

Those muckets are just seals. There should be an indentation under the top for where it sits. It does not affect the height of the top. The thickness (or thinness) of your foam seal might affect it.
Will the doors close if you were to tape the seals flat for a while; untill they conform to door?

I have the same problem with my 1997 TJ's new weatherstrip. I was wondering what those little rubber things were. They are sitting in the console. I will install them and raise the doors a bit and report back.
Like @LONGJP2 said, I dont thing that rubber affects the hight of the door. In my case i can see all the gaps around the door being good, but it just doesnt close correctly. I did alot of adjustments from the door hinges and that seem to correct it a lik bit. Now i can close the door on one side, but just have to slam it.. i think if it stay close for a while, it will adapt itself to the door better. Wll see

Those little mucket seals didn't change any height, but they sure got rid of the last remaining draft I could feel on my arm, so thanks to MountaineerTom for pointing them out! I spend Sunday afternoon adjusting the passenger door and it's better. In my case, I noticed the bottom of the door was too far inboard and crushing the seal way too much near the lower hinge. I tried a 1/8" shim (temporarily) between hinge and body. That made a big difference. I'm not sure if a shim is the right fix, maybe I can bend the hinge.

Loosen and slide the hardtop towards the rear and then retighten. This should give you more room for the door and also help the rear hatch from leaking.
Try and leave the window cracked open a bit and see if this helps the doors close easier. For some reason mine builds internal pressure when I close the doors. Just crack the window a 1/4" and they shut easier.

are those tubes pipes from the rollcage that bolt onto the windshield frame adjustable? I remote the 2 bolts on each side, pushed the windshield frame out a little, then my door seem to have more room and somehow fits better, but now those tubes wont reach the windshield frame. Seem like i will need longer bolts and some washers to make it work, or if I can adjust them to more forward more, then i can reuse the bolts. I see a bolt on each side.
Those are adjustable. On the opposite end, you'll see one single bolt. To loosen it you'll need a security-type torx bit. T40 I believe.

Just a word for caution. When you do adjust it forward, it will affect your seals quite a bit. A little movement goes a long way. Me personally, I would try anything except for that.