No Start Unless Jumped at Starter Relay

MajiJeepTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Hi, I hope someone can shed some light on this. I have been chasing this issue since March. I finally got to the point where the Jeep starts, but only being jumped at the Starter Relay. I attached a video to see if anyone can help me. I have power at the ignition switch, power at the starter, when I turn the key I have power at the Yellow and Black wire. I have a direct wire from the positive terminal and jump it, it is a brown wire that runs to that end terminal at the starter relay. I am not sure if I am clear but hopefully you can see it in the video.

Attachments

• FA342B94-457D-4EF5-AF2D-5C63497DBF22.mov
    4.8 MB
The ignition switches are notorious for going bad. Try and slowly turn to the start position and see if it engages. Years ago I diagnosed my dads Jeep, it had a hair line spot that would still engage the starter but if you turned the key all the way you’d pass it. The issue was turning the key as fast as we are accustom too would pass the spot with no starter noise or anything.

The switch can be opened, and contacts cleaned. Second photo shows dirty contacts…

AF3B87FD-D98B-4475-89F1-72CBADCF0349.jpeg

364F7710-4563-49A1-B4B3-9738032B2923.jpeg

Yea that is one of the things I replaced since I thought maybe something in there was broken. I tried your method but to no avail. I found the problem finally. The wire going to the starter is not getting power when I turn the key. The ignition wire has power when I turn the key over but does not power the other wire. If I jump the two wires then the Jeep starts with no problem. I am kind of lost as to where the problem is now.

Yea that is one of the things I replaced since I thought maybe something in there was broken. I tried your method but to no avail. I found the problem finally. The wire going to the starter is not getting power when I turn the key. The ignition wire has power when I turn the key over but does not power the other wire. If I jump the two wires then the Jeep starts with no problem. I am kind of lost as to where the problem is now.

I know it’s been a while but did you ever find the problem? I have the exact same issue