No Tailgate?

digitalarchitect

Hi members,

Just bought myself a new (old) TJ and by the looks of it I don't have a tailgate. Was this an option for 2000 Sahara's? Pictures attached, but I'm not sure if it was a modification from a previous owner or if it came like that. Haven't seen any other Jeeps like it. Pictures attached. Looks like there are demarcations on the inside, but the outside of the vehicle is flat with no brakes. Took the spare wheel off to help see .

15347276248831557801936278481448.jpg

15347276469103589889217024074403.jpg

I think I'm right in saying that all TJ's came with tailgates....Looks like yours is custom built, I like it but not sure about the practicality of it though.

I think I'm right in saying that all TJ's came with tailgates....Looks like yours is custom built, I like it but not sure about the practicality of it though.
Did anyone ever use the tailgate functionally? Mine is just to cary the spare tire. The jack is under the passenger side, the back seat is blocking the access through the rear, and the cargo is 3 inches wide. And so, no need to swing the gate isn't it? :) oh wait a minute, I have seen how you loaded you rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Did anyone ever use the tailgate functionally? Mine is just to cary the spare tire. The jack is under the passenger side, the back seat is blocking the access through the rear, and the cargo is 3 inches wide. And so, no need to swing the gate isn't it? :) oh wait a minute, I have seen how you loaded you rig.
haha ummm yes...I throw my food shopping in the boot (Not much room in there I know) I'd love a drop down tailgate but then there's the issue of where to put the spare.

Reactions: Starrs
All TJs come with a tailgate, it wasn't an option.

Someone welded your tailgate shut, did the body work, and repainted it to look like it was never there.

That's a first!

Reactions: alittleoff