No third brake light

Chilidawg

TJ Enthusiast
Just bought a 99 TJ. It does not have a 3rd eye brake light. On the tub it has the 2 metal dots like my 2000 TJ had, but on the tailgate it has the plastic piece but no metal inside the 2 dots. Not sure if it is supposed to have the metal to connect to the tub when closed.

Yes, yours should have that. This is from the 1997-1999 Parts List:

1668782227863.png

The Terminals are no longer available from Jeep, and I don't think the Grommets are either, but Omix-ADA sells OEM-equivalent (their words, not mine) Grommets.

Just bought a 99 TJ. It does not have a 3rd eye brake light. On the tub it has the 2 metal dots like my 2000 TJ had, but on the tailgate it has the plastic piece but no metal inside the 2 dots. Not sure if it is supposed to have the metal to connect to the tub when closed.

My opinion and that's all it is, if it doesn't bother you I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think you have any kind of inspections around Ellijay do you??

@tr21triton can you help him out??

no inspections required in Ellijay/ Gilmer co. there is a junkyard that might have what you need if your really worried about it. cartercay salvage I think is the name of it. It's on hwy 52 east of 515 on the left after ya pass the dollar general. welcome to the forum and let me know if ya want to get together for a ride !

Reactions: John Cooper
I recommend having a third brake light in North GA. Anything that can help the morons glued to their phone instead of watching the road know you are stopped or stopping helps. I've been rear ended four times in the last ten years. Three of those times I was stopped at a red light and the guy behind me either let his foot off the brake or hallucinated the light had changed to green.

There was a guy that had a TJ salvage business in Dahlonega who might have what you are missing, but I don't know if he is still in business. I think this FB page may be him, https://www.facebook.com/northgeorgiajeep/

Thanks for all the replies. Im not that worried about it right now, just thought it was odd that the tub had the parts, but the tailgate did not. Just wasnt sure if the 99 had it. I will take off the spare soon and look around to see if the wiring is there. Also look at the tub and see if wires are connected there. On my 2000 the wires got disconnected when they installed the wiring harness for the trailer hitch. Good to be back in a TJ.

I have no idea if this is actually true, but I have read a couple times that insurance companies may deny (or at least try to deny) claims when someone gets rear ended and they either removed, or disabled their 3rd brake light.

I know this thread isn't asking for alternate 3rd brake light solutions, but I love mine, so I'm going to show it off anyway. 😁

IMG_3713.jpg

Integrated into the spare tire carrier, but not one of the typical big LED rings.

I have no idea if this is actually true, but I have read a couple times that insurance companies may deny (or at least try to deny) claims when someone gets rear ended and they either removed, or disabled their 3rd brake light.

I know this thread isn't asking for alternate 3rd brake light solutions, but I love mine, so I'm going to show it off anyway. 😁

View attachment 377729

Integrated into the spare tire carrier, but not one of the typical big LED rings.

What tire carrier you running ?

Reactions: tr21triton
That’s exactly the one I’ve been looking at. I just haven’t really seen a good picture of how high it rides. Thanks !

It actually rides higher on mine because I have the MORryde hinge. Because the carrier is angled upwards, I had to use the brackets that came with the hinge kit to make it fit. It’s probably rides 2”-3” higher and maybe an inch further out than it did on the factory tailgate location.

Reactions: Peppergat

View attachment 377729

Thats the same thing I did to my 2000 TJ. Looks good.

In reference to the two contact points in tube for third brake light, my TJ was missing one of the contacts. Thus, utilizing “ red neck tech”, used a galvanized carriage bolt as replacement, wired and insulated as required. Continues to function after two years. Looks similar to OEM.
Cheap alternative

View attachment 377729

I did something similar:
7.JPG

With one of these..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0175U88X8/?tag=wranglerorg-20
1668883894531.png

can someone share with me the electrical connections at wiring harness under fender liner mine was cut and i see a white wire that was grounded to frame ? Is this needed to make 3rd light work. All wiring missing including contact points on inner and on rear gate

have pulled new wires waiting on new kit for pins and covers

Attachments

• 092C7855-6531-4057-BA4C-1DFE4680AB26.heic
    2 MB · Views: 67
fisher843:

Welcome to the forum!
  1. Your attachment didn't work. It looks like a photo or video in heic format, which doesn't work on my PC or on my iPhone. If you can repost it in jpg format, it'll be much more visible to all.
  2. The wiring changed from year-to-year, and you haven't filled in your profile, which is where most of us go to see what model year you have before answering.
  3. You can get wiring diagrams from the Factory Service Manual for your model year. Most of those are available in the Resources forum, but here's a link for you:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/