Not a TJ Owner..... Yet

So I drove 2 1/5 hours to find out it wasn't anything like described. The main seal was leaking, a knocking noise under the motor, ticking noise on the the top of the motor, leak from the radiator, radiator had not been replaced, the turn signal had issues and the brakes had issues. I won't bother describing the cosmetic issues.

The ignition issue was when the motor is cold, it cranks 4-5 seconds before it starts. Once its warm, it starts right up.

I went and looked at another one while I was down there. Really nice 2002 with low miles but the control arm was wobbled out, and it overheated while I was looking at it. Came home empty handed. Oh well, I just keep looking.

That blows! nothing worse than wasting your time. Sorry that you were dealing with a shady seller.

Reactions: macox49
I've had this happen to me so many times when looking at used vehicles. It really sucks that most people aren't honest and upfront.

Worth the wait, IF you find 'perfect'. But that's technically up to the buyer.

When I first saw my Jeep, before it was actually mine, it was perfect. Perfect to me. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cKc99
Going on another road trip. 2005, 4.0L, automatic, hardtop with 81K miles on it for $8k.

Wow... 81k miles and $8000? Sounds too good to be true.

Make sure you look at it really well, because that seems fishy to me.

Reactions: UpperMI
So the story goes, the PO passed away last month. His sister, who lives in another state, was the beneficiary and it's going through probate. The title is currently at the Nevada DMV and can be collected once she receives payment. Because of the probate, it can't be registered in another persons name until after 40 days from the PO's death.

I had my cousin go look at it tonight. He took these photos of it. He said it's a solid Jeep. The interior is really dirty but he thinks it will clean up nice. The PO painted the fender flares and the paint on the fender flares is starting flake off.

If it's something I'm interested in and If this is all legit and after the 40 days, Then I will make arrangements to purchase it.

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

Reactions: Ron505
Yep, definitely wait the 40 days before giving someone money.

In the meantime, keep looking though, because you never know when something might pop up within those 40 days!

Yep, definitely wait the 40 days before giving someone money.

In the meantime, keep looking though, because you never know when something might pop up within those 40 days!
Indeed! Keep looking. It's out there!

So the story goes, the PO passed away last month. His sister, who lives in another state, was the beneficiary and it's going through probate. The title is currently at the Nevada DMV and can be collected once she receives payment. Because of the probate, it can't be registered in another persons name until after 40 days from the PO's death.

I had my cousin go look at it tonight. He took these photos of it. He said it's a solid Jeep. The interior is really dirty but he thinks it will clean up nice. The PO painted the fender flares and the paint on the fender flares is starting flake off.

If it's something I'm interested in and If this is all legit and after the 40 days, Then I will make arrangements to purchase it.
Worth a look. How far do you have to go, or are you holding off on the road trip?

Thanks for all the advise. I've been into Volkswagens all my life and currently'own 3. They are notorious for rust so I understand the rust issues and the kind of work it takes to repair or replace it.

All my friends are into Volkswagens so I'm hoping I can rely on you guys for advise purchasing one. Right now, I'm looking at a 1998 Sahara model, with 113k miles, 4.0L, manual, hardtop, no lift, clean interior for $10,500 OBO. TJ is from Kingman, AZ. What do you guys think?
what the hell is a volkswagon..I just learned a new word..lol 99 make sure you look at the rear upper control arms where the mounts are welded to the frame, rusty there move on

Reactions: Chris
This LJ is an 04, 61K miles on it. They want $16k for it. Little steep but maybe we can work something out. Do the LJ's come standard with the Dana 44's?

Last edited:
This LJ is an 04, 61K miles on it. They want $16k for it. Little steep but maybe we can work something out. Do the LJ's come standard with the Dana 44's?

No. The front will be a Dana 30 and the rear will be a 44. What you do get are a set of 3.73s and four wheel disc brakes.

If you have the VIN throw it in the following URL at the end replacing the "xxxxxxx" and you'll find the build sheet for it.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=xxxxxx