Not As Mild As I Initially Thought Build

notGreenLJ

Well, if the goal was to just do it once, then I royally messed up. Last ~September I bought my first ever jeep! This past week I bought another, and intend to move my upgrades to the new Jeep. Mission failed.

Let me start by saying that this is an awesome forum and extend my thanks to all you experts that continue to help us newbs. I wanted to contribute a bit with my own build thread and maybe get some much-needed advice, because I can reliably make questionable decisions.

Catching up to now:
It all started when it came time to buy my first car. I have been leasing since getting my license (discounted rates through my dad's job), but alas I wanted something I could make my own and keep long term. I have always wanted a jeep and luckily my wife thought it’d be a cool car to have as well. My initial conditions were low-ish mileage, dark color (preferably Green), and mostly unmolested. Oh right, and no rust! After searching for a couple of months with the proper timing of turning in my lease I found a clean-looking 2005 TJ Unlimited located in Alabama. I jumped on it pretty quickly. It didn’t meet all my conditions, but close enough.

The khaki LJ had no rust, ~75k miles, hardtop, newish 33 KO2’s on 15in Cragar steelies. The only downside was a ~2in body lift the PO had installed, otherwise, everything was stock. I had never driven a TJ before so I had nothing to compare it to, but I can say with confidence now that it drove pretty awfully.

1594943502343.jpeg

I started by doing a slew of upgrades/mods in the following months:
Spicer Ball Joints
Currie Steering
Currie adj. front track bar
Currie adj. rear track bar
Currie bump stops
OME Springs (2-2.5in lift)
Rancho shocks
Rancho steering stabilizer
Black magic brake pads and new rotors all around
Savvy 1.25in body lift including new body mount bushings (downsizing from PO crap)
Savvy transfer case shifter
New iridium spark plugs
Rough Country seat cover (we got a puppy and needed some protection)
Sound system (including sub, amp, speakers, and single-din head unit)
Fancy covercraft sun-visor/shade
Exogate
Bestop Soft-Top (live in Dallas, Texas and wanted to enjoy the sun. Sold the hard-top because we live in an apartment and have no storage room)
Bunch of black trim pieces (didn’t like the chrome)
Rear main seal, valve cover and oil pan gaskets (had a small drip that turned into a pisser)
MBRP muffler and exhaust (a loud mistake - constant headache-inducing drone when you’re driving)

Then, this past month I decided I still needed the following:
Savvy double adj. control arms
Bomb-proof motor mount lift
Noico sound deadening
Parking brake shoes and hardware
Bedrug
Paint fender flares

Upon receiving the above parts and looking more into installing them, I realized I only ever wanted to sound deaden a jeep once..and I wasn’t happy with the Khaki..and I wanted lockers..and that it would be cheaper to just get a Rubicon now.

haha

So, shortly thereafter I’m browsing the interwebs and come across a pants-tightening solar yellow 2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon with ~85k miles. Boom, I buy it later that week. It is easy to see that the previous owner took great care of the Jeep, especially when considering the condition of my first one. So here we are.

1594943714396.jpeg

*Disclaimer: only the LJR is mine, although a Porsche Taycan Turbo would be nice

1594943661179.jpeg

My new LJR came with:
Hardtop
15in steelies with 33” KM3s
Rear bumper with tire carrier
what looks like the OME ~2in Ultimate kit:
OME Coils
OME Shocks
JKS adj. front track bar
JKS adj. rear track bar
JKS quick discos
JKS 1.25” body lift
JKS adj. rear sway bar ends
Brown dog motor mount lift 1"

You’re probably wondering what I’m building this jeep for (probably don’t need lockers in Texas!). My wife and I are planning to move to Colorado or Northern Cali in ~2 years once she finishes her PhD! The idea is to have a fun-reliable-capable car to take us to camping/over-landing/hiking spots, but right now the sole function of the Jeep is to drive our dog (Romeo) to the dog park and occasionally by my wife to Uni. We also love hiking, and want the Jeep to be reliable and comfortable enough for long (10 hr+) road trips and some light off-roading. We don’t really plan on doing much rock crawling, so I don’t think we’ll ever go to 35s. In fact, I’m even considering going down to 31s. I plan on keeping the LJR long term, working on it with the kids..once/if we ever have kids hah

The next step before I buy more parts will be to swap over my Currie parts with the JKS parts from the LJ to the LJR. I don’t think I’ll mess with the suspension though, since I like the way the LJR rides. I’ll be leaving some goodies on the LJ so that hopefully I can get a good price for it.

The goal build sheet for the LJR (going from parts I have already to parts I need to acquire):
Soft-top
OME Coils
OME Shocks
Currie steering
Currie Front and Rear Track bars
Savvy control arms
Exogate
Sound deadening + bedrug
Parking brake
Upgraded speakers (amp, sub, hu..)

These are the parts/mods I still need to acquire and have gotten “soft” permission from my wife:
Paint matching fender flares (painting properly is $$$ though)
SwayLoc front sway bar
Hellwig rear sway bar
New o2 sensors, spark plugs, fluids
Vanco 15in big brake kit (black magic) with new unit bearings
Spicer ball joints
Black magic pads and new rotors for the rear
Cooling system overhaul (preventative)
Derale Transmission cooler (Texas)
Caltrend seat covers
31” KO2s (not sure if downsizing is a good idea)

These are parts/mods I want, but have yet to devise a convincing reason to get:
KC headlights (there might be an actual reason here)
Savvy transfer case shifter (we’ve never used 4hi or 4lo, but knowing it will be smooth once the occasion arises is a good reason right?)
Genright 31.5-gallon safari tank (is the gas burp issue justification enough? For real though big plus for the long road trips)
Seat Risers (every inch or half-inch matters..)
Savvy front bumper (aluminum! and it looks good without a winch)
Savvy rear bumper w/ hitch (more aluminum!)
Savvy Tummy tuck (I was initially really keen on this, but after reading that people experience more noise inside the cabin after this mod I might end up not doing it. There’s also the fact that I may never need the additional clearance. But I do want a Tom Woods rear-driveshaft..is a Woody a good reason or is it an additional mod in itself?)
M8000s Warn winch (might actually be a good idea if/once we move to Colorado)

I have a lot of work cut out. I am keeping myself from ordering any more parts at the moment until I sell my motorcycle and/or the LJ. Bad news is I need to acquire more tools so I will be spending money anyways. I’ll be keeping track of my progress on here and would appreciate anyone's input or harsh criticism.

A few things:

1) I love my KC headlights because the quality, but also because there is a superb 23 year warranty, which you can't argue with.

2) GenRight tanks are fantastic. I loved my GenRight tank on my old TJ, and have every intention of putting one on my current TJ. The 31.5 gallon tank would be great for long trips too!

3) If you plan on using the receiver hitch on the Savvy rear bumper, don't get it and go with a different rear bumper instead. The receiver hitch on that bumper isn't designed for a lot of sustained use. For instance, putting a bike rack in it and then driving on a lot of bumpy roads would do damage to the bumper. I would suggest the Dirtworx rear bumper. I've paired that rear bumper with my Savvy front bumper, and it's a great combo.

4) You will experience additional noise with any tummy tuck, including the Savvy unit. You're moving the transfer case up right next to the tub, so it's inevitable, trust me. It's not really that bad though, but you will definitely notice a lot of extra heat. You'll need a new driveshaft, as well as a lot of other stuff to get that tummy tuck on. That's one of those mods that is going to end up being a rabbit hole, trust me.

The more I read your thread, the more this sounds like anything but a "mild" build. Your thread title is definitely incorrect, haha ;)

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I'm still floored you bought 2 jeeps, lol! Running 31's isn't a horrible idea, and will give you a chance to iron out details as you get comfortable with the new rig.

• Haha
A few things:

1) I love my KC headlights because the quality, but also because there is a superb 23 year warranty, which you can't argue with.

2) GenRight tanks are fantastic. I loved my GenRight tank on my old TJ, and have every intention of putting one on my current TJ. The 31.5 gallon tank would be great for long trips too!

3) If you plan on using the receiver hitch on the Savvy rear bumper, don't get it and go with a different rear bumper instead. The receiver hitch on that bumper isn't designed for a lot of sustained use. For instance, putting a bike rack in it and then driving on a lot of bumpy roads would do damage to the bumper. I would suggest the Dirtworx rear bumper. I've paired that rear bumper with my Savvy front bumper, and it's a great combo.

4) You will experience additional noise with any tummy tuck, including the Savvy unit. You're moving the transfer case up right next to the tub, so it's inevitable, trust me. It's not really that bad though, but you will definitely notice a lot of extra heat. You'll need a new driveshaft, as well as a lot of other stuff to get that tummy tuck on. That's one of those mods that is going to end up being a rabbit hole, trust me.

The more I read your thread, the more this sounds like anything but a "mild" build. Your thread title is definitely incorrect, haha ;)
Hey Chris,

I still haven't experienced the stock candlesticks at night, but after reading how bad they are, I'm sure after my first night drive I'll be ordering the KC's.
The GenRight sounds like one of those mods I wouldn't regret. I'll just need to space out the expenses.
Thanks for the tip on the Dirtworx. I do cycle quite a bit and have been looking into some solutions people have come up with. There is an exogate bike carrier I saw on a thread, not sure how sturdy that would be though. Dirtworx might be a better solution.
The tummy tuck might be a can of worms I leave closed for now. Decide on it after we move..depending on how much the shovel impedes our exploring.

Might need to retitle to mild over-build haha

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I'm still floored you bought 2 jeeps, lol! Running 31's isn't a horrible idea, and will give you a chance to iron out details as you get comfortable with the new rig.

Yup. Pretty crazy.
I want to experience the 4.10 gearing with the 31's to see how it affects gas mileage and ride quality. It will be a while though, since these 33's still have like ~80% tread life left.

Ummmm, what'd you do with the khaki LJ? is it a manual? I love the yellow too...These are the only seat risers you should be looking at:

https://buchananprecisionmachine.co...eat-riser-kit-for-tj-style-wrangler-1997-2006

pick the size that fits you...

I still have the khaki one. Once I swap some parts between the two Jeeps and pretty the khaki one up, I'll be listing it to sell. Both Jeeps are Automatic.
Nice, those seat risers will be the ones. 1.5" should do the trick.

Yellow grew on me a lot after seeing Nickgsjeep build thread!

• Love
Quick update.

Sold the khaki LJ and my motorcycle, so I was able to continue with the build.

Installed the following on the yellow LJ:
Dorman OPDA (used the original CPS)
Currectlync Steering (not sure if I will have problems due to a low lift here)
Currie Front & Rear Track Bars
15" Vanco Big Brake Kit (new unit bearings, steering knuckles, calipers, rotors, pads)
Spicer Ball Joints
Iridium Spark Plugs
Coolant Flush
Black Magic Pads in the rear along with new rotors and parking brake shoes and mechanism
Hellwig Rear Sway bar
2 new spare SKIM keys (so I can keep the originals safe)
Savvy Engine skid (factory skid was missing, so I went ahead and got the Savvy one in case I do a Savvy TT down the road)
KC Gravity HiLites headlights (these are great but made it clear that I need fog lights, so I have those on order)
1 1/2" Buchannan Seat risers
Caltrend Sportex Black seat covers
Husky rubber cargo floor liner
Stock wide fender flares from DPG
Bestop Soft top
Paint matched the headlight bezel
5 1/2" Polk Speakers along with kicker sub and an alpine amp
Exogate
Bedrug carpets
K&N air filter
Brake flush
Rugged Ridge Dash Mount
Door straps
front brake lines (might be too long)
a spare tire cover as well

I'm sure I'm missing something there. I still have the following parts to install, which are currently sitting in the closet of my apartment:
Stiffer hood latch (reduce hood flutter)
Savvy Transfer Case shifter
Noico sound deadening
O2 Sensors
Eastern Catalytic Cats (got a P0421 fault code on the way back from a camping trip in Arkansas)
Savvy adjustable control arms
new LED's for the interior and exterior (footwell, sound/dome, under-hood, reverse, side blinkers, shifter, rear running light)
black lug nuts

Got most of the work done while visiting the inlaws (everything from now on will have to get done in the apartment garage, which will be more challenging)

IMG_2272.jpeg

The jeep in its current state:

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2456.jpeg

Gotta say, that front bumper is mighty handy for drying stuff out!

Last edited:
You managed to get those nasty diamond plates off of the front fenders, huh? There wasn't any rust or damage under them? If so, lucky you! Usually that's not the case.

You managed to get those nasty diamond plates off of the front fenders, huh? There wasn't any rust or damage under them? If so, lucky you! Usually that's not the case.

The black plates on the front side of the fenders were actually plastic pieces attached by double-sided tape! It seemed like they were covering an insignificant dent on the driver's side, but that was the only damage I noticed. I much prefer the fenders without them!

Reactions: Chris
The black plates on the front side of the fenders were actually plastic pieces attached by double-sided tape! It seemed like they were covering an insignificant dent on the driver's side, but that was the only damage I noticed. I much prefer the fenders without them!

Ahhh, I thought they were metal. The metal ones usually trap water and result in rust.

It does look way better without them. That diamond plate is some of the worst looking stuff I think!

Wasn’t happy with the KC Gravity’s so I opted for the Gravity Pros. Had to get the H4 to H13 adapter and I also got the Vision X HLHI4 adapter so my lows stay on with the highs. Gotta say these are a great success, they look very nice. Only slight imperfection is that they stick out a hair, but it’s totally worth being able to see at night!

81B7BB71-3D06-4644-A980-9F3D16577E1B.jpeg

B0ABCCFD-F7CD-4D57-81D7-B7929D670D0D.jpeg

1E3994BC-61C2-42A5-BFC9-D1486E32AE00.jpeg

I still have the khaki one. Once I swap some parts between the two Jeeps and pretty the khaki one up, I'll be listing it to sell. Both Jeeps are Automatic.
Nice, those seat risers will be the ones. 1.5" should do the trick.

Yellow grew on me a lot after seeing Nickgsjeep build thread!
I was totally amazed at the difference after installing the 1.5" seat risers, one of my favorite mods