Not sure I want this promotion

So, I'm in something of a battle with HR (well, they're the face of the company's policies, so...). I have a new employee that has been with us for nine weeks. Within that nine weeks he has only had two weeks where he worked a full 40-hour workweek. And I'm not saying that for the other seven weeks, he missed an hour or so, here or there. No, this clown has missed one hundred and eleven hours...111 hours...since his hire date nine weeks ago. And guess what? I can't even fire the guy! HR says he needs at least three more unexcused absences before I can even begin considering making anything stick. Mind you, I wrote him up (Written Warning) two weeks ago, and within the week, he missed another ten hours. I told HR that he obviously has no regard for his job, and that I cannot rely on him in any form of fashion. She said "I would caution you against making assumptions like that", to which I replied "How in the hell can you in any way defend this guy?" Then she actually said to me "Just because someone doesn't share the same work ethic as you, you cannot just make assumptions on why he misses time." Really? For the last two days, he missed time because his knee hurt. I told this to HR, and then told her that if I stayed home every time I had pain in my knees, then we never would have met, because my knees hurt 24/7. It's not like he has cancer, for crying out loud! He misses time because his girlfriend is having a bad day, and it would "upset her" if he left her home to go to work...:rolleyes:

I told the HR gal (whose pronouns are "she/her", she proudly proclaims) that "I'm not going to miss this nonsense. Not one bit." Then I walked out the door. I had planned on working until June 30th, just to pull in a little extra cash. I discussed it with my wife, and I'm now looking at May 1st. She's 100% onboard with whatever I decide. Hell, she said she wouldn't blame me if I went in the next day and told them it was my last. But for me, May 1st is looking really good, right now. It'll impact my finances a bit, but nothing I can't handle. The stress of this kind of bullshit will likely kill me before I can make it to June 30th...

Rant over. :mad:

This new world that is forcing it's "coddle everyone" mentality on the old guard is going to find out really fast they made a huge mistake not doing everything they possibly could to keep the dependable employees happy. I don't envy you the next 2 and a half months, I only hope that it doesn't feel like a life time for you. Knowing what I do about you I'm sure you'll give them your best effort to the last day (maybe week :ROFLMAO:) in true Cryptid fashion.

This new world that is forcing it's "coddle everyone" mentality on the old guard is going to find out really fast they made a huge mistake not doing everything they possibly could to keep the dependable employees happy. I don't envy you the next 2 and a half months, I only hope that it doesn't feel like a life time for you. Knowing what I do about you I'm sure you'll give them your best effort to the last day (maybe week :ROFLMAO:) in true Cryptid fashion.

Well, I deleted almost 4,000 old emails from my work computer today, with about 3,300 more to go through. I also gathered up some boxes to pack home different items that I don't need there to do my job. I want it to where if the mood hits me, I can turn in my badge, grab my coat, and walk out the door without having to look back.

Well, I deleted almost 4,000 old emails from my work computer today, with about 3,300 more to go through. I also gathered up some boxes to pack home different items that I don't need there to do my job. I want it to where if the mood hits me, I can turn in my badge, grab my coat, and walk out the door without having to look back.

Sucks they have you in this position. Lucky you are at the end of it and can walk away.

I’ve cleaned out my office so I could leave at anytime before at a prior job. It’s a surprisingly good feeling.

I told HR that he obviously has no regard for his job, and that I cannot rely on him in any form of fashion. She said "I would caution you against making assumptions like that", to which I replied "How in the hell can you in any way defend this guy?" Then she actually said to me "Just because someone doesn't share the same work ethic as you, you cannot just make assumptions on why he misses time." Really? For the last two days, he missed time because his knee hurt. I told this to HR, and then told her that if I stayed home every time I had pain in my knees, then we never would have met, because my knees hurt 24/7. It's not like he has cancer, for crying out loud! He misses time because his girlfriend is having a bad day, and it would "upset her" if he left her home to go to work...:rolleyes:

it's this kind of shit-fuck mentality that is tearing this country down, another piece of pure fall out from the great covid debacle. The fact that companies are now not only accepting this bullshit conduct but defending and promoting it will only hasten our downfall. She sounds like a Class-A shit for brains.

Print this out & tape it to her door

red-forman.jpg

holy man...That sucks! how are you going to build any accountability in that company with garbage policies like that? We give our employees 90 days to prove to us they deserve to work there. If they have an attendance issue, they are gone. We firmly believe in the three strike rule and hold our employees to our company values. If you are not meeting the company values, we talk with you, tell you where your missing, and set a meeting for 30 days (in which we need to see improvement). After that 30 days, we evaluate...has the employee gotten better, worse, or stayed the same. If they've gotten better, they get another 30 days to see if it sticks. If they've stayed the same, we'll have a really tough conversation...depending on the results of that conversation, they might get another 30 days or they might get a term letter. If they have gotten worse...well, better to pull the band-aid hard and early.

If you want to move to Michigan, I got a supervision job for you. I don't know you all that well, but I KNOW you'd fit our culture.

holy man...That sucks! how are you going to build any accountability in that company with garbage policies like that? We give our employees 90 days to prove to us they deserve to work there. If they have an attendance issue, they are gone. We firmly believe in the three strike rule and hold our employees to our company values. If you are not meeting the company values, we talk with you, tell you where your missing, and set a meeting for 30 days (in which we need to see improvement). After that 30 days, we evaluate...has the employee gotten better, worse, or stayed the same. If they've gotten better, they get another 30 days to see if it sticks. If they've stayed the same, we'll have a really tough conversation...depending on the results of that conversation, they might get another 30 days or they might get a term letter. If they have gotten worse...well, better to pull the band-aid hard and early.

If you want to move to Michigan, I got a supervision job for you. I don't know you all that well, but I KNOW you'd fit our culture.

46fbdae0ab8ec7b8b86a12352ee243b4--comment-pictures.jpg

Two days after issuing him the written warning for poor attendance, I had to issue him a written warning for poor performance. Within a twenty-day period, he crashed a large tool (custom built in-house) in our 60-ton punch press. The tool has multiple cavities (12-up tool) of about 3" diameter rings that cut through .040" stainless steel. Every now and then, the tool will fail to eject a part. This is an extremely obvious event, when it happens, and it has happened to every operator who runs the job. If an operator misses it and hits a second sheet, then there are now two rings stuck in the tool. The most anyone has ever had stuck in a cavity was two, and it usually results in them getting a talking to about keeping the tool better-oiled, and to pay better attention to what you're doing. Well, this guy had eight rings stuck in the cavity the first time, and it resulted in enough damage to the tool that portions of it cracked, and had to be rebuilt. Twenty days later, he did it again, but with nine rings stuck in the cavity, resulting in another rebuild! Each time, the Die Shop had to have the tool for several days for repair. The last time it happened, we missed our scheduled shipment to the customer by a full week, which cost us even more money (customer was line-down as a result of our missed shipment). You would think that with adding all this to his piss-poor attendance, he'd be out of there in a heartbeat, but noooo... :rolleyes:

This is not the world I grew up in, my friends. I don't understand any of it, anymore.

Last edited:
View attachment 399326

Two days after issuing him the written warning for poor attendance, I had to issue him a written warning for poor performance. Within a twenty-day period, he crashed a large tool (custom built in-house) in our 60-ton punch press. The tool has multiple cavities (12-up tool) of about 3" diameter rings that cut through .040" stainless steel. Every now and then, the tool will fail to eject a part. This is an extremely obvious event, when it happens, and it has happened to every operator who runs the job. If an operator misses it and hits a second sheet, the there are now two rings stuck in the tool. The most anyone has ever had stuck in a cavity was two, and it usually results in them getting a talking to about keeping the tool better-oiled, and to pay better attention to what you're doing. Well, this guy had eight rings stuck in the cavity the first time, and it resulted in enough damage to the tool that portions of it cracked, and had to be rebuilt. Twenty days later, he did it again, but with nine rings stuck in the cavity, resulting in another rebuild! Each time, the Die Shop had to have the tool for several days for repair. The last time it happened, we missed our scheduled shipment to the customer by a full week, which cost us even more money (customer was line-down as a result of our missed shipment). You would think that with adding all this to his piss-poor attendance, he'd be out of there in a heartbeat, but noooo... :rolleyes:

This is not the world I grew up in, my friends. I don't understand any of it, anymore.

I'd put that guy on mop duty until he leaves.

I'd put that guy on mop duty until he leaves.

I would, but there's the risk that he would play the race card. I've already witnessed that with a new-hire in another area (not mine), and being this close to getting out of there, I don't want anything to do with a clusterf*#k like that. Hell, maybe that's why HR is handling him like he's made of crystal...🤷‍♂️

I would, but there's the risk that he would play the race card. I've already witnessed that with a new-hire in another area (not mine), and being this close to getting out of there, I don't want anything to do with a clusterf*#k like that. Hell, maybe that's why HR is handling him like he's made of crystal...🤷‍♂️

There has got to be some terrible job there that he's "qualified" to do. You can't keep him on the press...he's a danger to himself and others...If he doesn't realize he's making double hits...good chance he doesn't understand press safety. The trick with people like that is to move them around until they give up and leave. You're not firing him, your giving him a chance to be successful base on his unique skills and abilities!

You can't keep him on the press...he's a danger to himself and others...

Yeah, he is no longer allowed to run that job. And yes, I have been farming him out to other areas (within my realm of responsibility) where any potential damage would be minimal, as would the cost. For instance, poking "slugs" out of Mylar parts with a hand-help "pin". Of course, that's only for those rare occasions when he actually shows-up for work...

That is hard to believe but I certainly do believe it. Hang in there and don’t let it get to you, not worth it. You are on the doorstep out and your health is priority one at this stage of life.
Yep. Just look forward to retirement and all the Belly Dance classes you'll be taking! ;)

HR is NEVER your friend.
This will just make your retirement just that much more sweeter.
Just be prepared for the company to call after after you retire and ask for help to solve an issue they are having. My company called twice to help with a issue and balked when I told them what my consulting fee was.

Well, we've been training for a few weeks on a completely new system that is going plant-wide. This was supposed to have started back in 2018, but it's such a convoluted mess that they're just now getting around to finalizing things. At the end of the meeting, they asked if there were any questions? "When is this scheduled to go live?", I asked. He replied "May 1st of this year." I chuckled to myself, and then sent out an email giving my resignation, with the departure date of April 28th.

Man, that felt good!

About ten minutes later, the former president of the (original) company, the founder's son, emailed me saying that it would be hypocritical of him to try and talk me into staying, as he, himself, will be leaving there a few months after I do. He just hasn't made it public knowledge, yet. That's a pretty telling statement on the condition of things, if you ask me. Now I absolutely know I'm doing the right thing!

Well, we've been training for a few weeks on a completely new system that is going plant-wide. This was supposed to have started back in 2018, but it's such a convoluted mess that they're just now getting around to finalizing things. At the end of the meeting, they asked if there were any questions? "When is this scheduled to go live?", I asked. He replied "May 1st of this year." I chuckled to myself, and then sent out an email giving my resignation, with the departure date of April 28th.

Man, that felt good!

About ten minutes later, the former president of the (original) company, the founder's son, emailed me saying that it would be hypocritical of him to try and talk me into staying, as he, himself, will be leaving there a few months after I do. He just hasn't made it public knowledge, yet. That's a pretty telling statement on the condition of things, if you ask me. Now I absolutely know I'm doing the right thing!

Timing is EVERYTHING!!

Man, that felt good!

Congratulations

Man, that felt good!

You're getting out at the right time. The industrial computer company I worked for years back had a new system that was going to be coming online about 2 months after I left. It was a clusterfuck of EPIC proportions...

Reactions: Squatch