Not sure I want this promotion

At least you are getting a txt, I had a guy go silent for 20+ days a couple months after coming back from medical leave. It is not easy or fast to do what we think is right now a days, all legal related I think. As my dad always says (he is 88) “this is not the world I grew up in”.

Damn, this whole workplace bullshit is getting good!

So, Mr. Nowhere Man left work today to pick up his son from school. Yeah. He left at 9:30 in the morning, missing another 4 hours of work. He's up to 144 hours of missed time now, in an eleven-week period.

I just got word that the company that bought us out a year and a half (or so) ago now feels that all the salaried employees are making too much money, and so they want to renegotiate the individual contracts. Ha! 🖕🖕🖕

And finally, the former president of the company just informed me that he is leaving the company on April 28th...the same day that I am making my exit. I can't wait for that news to get out! He said he plans on announcing it next week, if he can get everything lined-up.

Good times, my friends. Good times! ;)

152 hours missed, and counting. I've decided to let him hit 160 hours. That's a nice 4-weeks flat of missed time. If he misses tomorrow, that'll be 4 weeks missed of his 11 weeks of employment.

200.gif

152 hours missed, and counting. I've decided to let him hit 160 hours. That's a nice 4-weeks flat of missed time. If he misses tomorrow, that'll be 4 weeks missed of his 11 weeks of employment.

View attachment 402601

You need to find someone who isn't planning on abandoning ship any time soon and have them be your spy after you and the former president leave. It sounds like the new owners are going to systematically sink the ship in record time... It might be fun to be privy to their demise. Then again it could also be bitter sweet watching a company you spent so much time with imploding.

Last edited:
You need to find someone who isn't planning on abandoning ship any time soon and have them be your spy after you the former president leave. It sounds like the new owners are going to systematically sink the ship in record time... It might be fun to be privy to their demise. Then again it could also be bitter sweet watching a company you spent so much time with imploding.

I have a few who fit that bill. And "imploding" is precisely the word I have been using to describe what is happening to the place...

Reactions: reddvltj
I flippin' cannot believe this HR gal. I sent out a complete attendance report on Mr. Nowhere Man, showing every single missed day, and that he has a total of 160 missed hours (4 weeks) in his eleven weeks of employment, with the last three days being a "No Call, No Show" (which is classified as Job Abandonment). She responds with an email asking me if this is just documentation, or do I want to take an action against him?

200.gif

I flippin' cannot believe this HR gal. I sent out a complete attendance report on Mr. Nowhere Man, showing every single missed day, and that he has a total of 160 missed hours (4 weeks) in his eleven weeks of employment, with the last three days being a "No Call, No Show" (which is classified as Job Abandonment). She responds with an email asking me if this is just documentation, or do I want to take an action against him?

View attachment 403455

1o09ge.jpg

Well, the saga of the missing employee may have finally reached its end, but not without a struggle. As I mentioned, the HR gal asked me what I sought to do with all of the attendance information I provided her. I replied that he was deep in termination territory, as I saw it, but that was HR's decision to make. She responded to that with the question "Did you ever issue him a final warning?". I gave her the date I issued his Attendance Warning, and she questioned me again about a final warning. Then she called me.

HR: "Your emails were rather vague."
Me: "I disagree. My emails were succinct, and to the point."
HR: "I thought we agreed that there would be a second, final warning."
Me: "I have no recollection of any such conversation. If you recall, my last conversation with you in your office didn't go well. After 92 hours of missed work, as well as a written warning for attendance, and one for poor performance, I still couldn't fire the guy."
HR: "Well, we have to align with the company's policies."
Me: "If the company's policies allow this guy to continue working after what is now 160 hours of missed work in eleven weeks, then I want no part of it."
HR: "It sounds like you're checking out. I get that, but I still need to align with the company's policies on these issues."
Me, in a matter-of-fact tone: "When I left your office the last time, I was done. I told the plant manager that I would not issue the guy any more warnings. I would put him to work if he shows up, and document his absences. Beyond that, you (HR) could deal with it. I tried to get rid of him, and I wasn't allowed to. Now he's making a fool of someone, and I'll tell you what...it isn't me. This is all on you, now. If the guy shows up tomorrow, I'll put him to work, but I won't fire him. You get to do that. That last meeting with you and the way it was handled is the sole reason I bumped up my departure date by two months, by the way. I want you to know that."
HR, after a long silence: "Are you telling me that you feel I'm ineffective and unable to accomplish things in my job?"
Me: "I'm telling you that you are the face and the voice of this company's policies, and that I don't want anything to do with a policy that keeps employees like this around. This is on your department. These policies are the worst, and I want nothing to do with them."
HR, now somewhat indignant: "Alright, then. Thank you for the clarification. Goodbye."

A half-hour later I get an email stating that the employee had been terminated.

200.gif

Well, the saga of the missing employee may have finally reached its end, but not without a struggle. As I mentioned, the HR gal asked me what I sought to do with all of the attendance information I provided her. I replied that he was deep in termination territory, as I saw it, but that was HR's decision to make. She responded to that with the question "Did you ever issue him a final warning?". I gave her the date I issued his Attendance Warning, and she questioned me again about a final warning. Then she called me.

HR: "Your emails were rather vague."
Me: "I disagree. My emails were succinct, and to the point."
HR: "I thought we agreed that there would be a second, final warning."
Me: "I have no recollection of any such conversation. If you recall, my last conversation with you in your office didn't go well. After 92 hours of missed work, as well as a written warning for attendance, and one for poor performance, I still couldn't fire the guy."
HR: "Well, we have to align with the company's policies."
Me: "If the company's policies allow this guy to continue working after what is now 160 hours of missed work in eleven weeks, then I want no part of it."
HR: "It sounds like you're checking out. I get that, but I still need to align with the company's policies on these issues."
Me, in a matter-of-fact tone: "When I left your office the last time, I was done. I told the plant manager that I would not issue the guy any more warnings. I would put him to work if he shows up, and document his absences. Beyond that, you (HR) could deal with it. I tried to get rid of him, and I wasn't allowed to. Now he's making a fool of someone, and I'll tell you what...it isn't me. This is all on you, now. If the guy shows up tomorrow, I'll put him to work, but I won't fire him. You get to do that. That last meeting with you and the way it was handled is the sole reason I bumped up my departure date by two months, by the way. I want you to know that."
HR, after a long silence: "Are you telling me that you feel I'm ineffective and unable to accomplish things in my job?"
Me: "I'm telling you that you are the face and the voice of this company's policies, and that I don't want anything to do with a policy that keeps employees like this around. This is on your department. These policies are the worst, and I want nothing to do with them."
HR, now somewhat indignant: "Alright, then. Thank you for the clarification. Goodbye."

A half-hour later I get an email stating that the employee had been terminated.

View attachment 403582

Typical HR double speak , you actually let them have to deal with their own inept policies. This rarely happens as they force supervisors to work out the unworkable. I find myself looking forward to 4/28 on your behalf. Stay strong , hey maybe you need something like a rear end collision to take your mind off the work BS.......... too soon ?:giggle:

Typical HR double speak , you actually let them have to deal with their own inept policies. This rarely happens as they force supervisors to work out the unworkable. I find myself looking forward to 4/28 on your behalf. Stay strong , hey maybe you need something like a rear end collision to take your mind off the work BS.......... too soon ?:giggle:

Thanks, man. I told my wife today that after all this nonsense, retirement is at risk of being viewed as boring! ;)

I’ll tell you a bit of my tale.

I started in LE when I was 21. I was eager to learn and I’m a fast learner. I was out on third shift during my 12 months of probation. During this time, it stunted my learning what went on during the day and second shift but hey, I’m new and doing what I can to learn as much as possible.

I have a Lt. that takes a liking to me and starts to push me to promote at my 1 year make to Cpl. I tell him I’m not ready to lead officers or advise them. He keeps pushing, I push back. So I don’t promote. He is a Lt. With 7 years in and a good boss and sharp.

Fast forward 10 years. Each time you promote you go back to square one for seniority. So, I stay as an officer. I also on this time went to college and got my BS as I didn’t want to stay in LE.

Fast forward another 10 years. Still never promoted, wen to two different departments. I could have been at the top if I focused but my family took over and I was happy not having the stress.

And I watched coworkers promote and some took to it, others it just ground them down into the ground.

I’d be honest with your boss. Tell him your concerns and maybe ask for a trial period if you are unsure. You know that place better than most I’d imagine. You also know what bosses put up with.

Is the juice worthy of the squeeze? It wasn’t for me. I don’t regret it even though I think it would have worked out fine.

4 years or so to retire? Sounds like a lot of negative stuff to jump in but if they really want you there maybe they make some adjustments for you. Doesn’t hurt to ask, sounds like they respect you..

You got this brother.

Follow your head, follow your heart Squatch. Life's short.

Reactions: Squatch
Very Good. You've earned your retirement Friend! Don't let them guilt you into staying (tho, I don't think that is going to be a problem, lol).

If I ever had any thoughts of staying longer, they went away yesterday.

I had to write 34 evaluations in a week-and-a-half (no pressure, there...). I made the deadline, and have been delivering the evals to the employees all week. Not all of the employees received a glowing review. One such individual was rated at "Below Expectations", and subsequently was ineligible for a pay increase.
This did not go over well with him. He proceeded to tell me that this place doesn't give a f*#k about him, and that this evaluation is the proof of that. He asked if it's because he's brown? Said he doesn't know if this is me being racist, or not, or if it's because he's a Muslim. Said he knows I don't like him, and that I'm subconsciously letting everyone around me know that. And on, and on, and on... :rolleyes:

I cannot get out of here fast enough.

Last edited: