Not sure I want this promotion

If I ever had any thoughts of staying longer, they went away yesterday.

I had to write 34 evaluations in a week-and-a-half (no pressure, there...). I made the deadline, and have been delivering the evals to the employees all week. Not all of the employees received a glowing review. One such individual was rated at "Below Expectations", and subsequently was ineligible for a pay increase.
This did not go over well with him. He proceeded to tell me that this place doesn't give a f*#k about him, and that this evaluation is the proof of that. He asked if it's because he's brown? Said he doesn't know if this is me being racist, or not, or if it's because he's a Muslim. Said he knows I don't like him, and that I'm subconsciously letting everyone around me know that. And on, and on, and on... :rolleyes:

I cannot get out of here fast enough.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. The whole "blame everyone but myself" thought process is going to destroy our country faster than any thing else.

If I ever had any thoughts of staying longer, they went away yesterday.

I had to write 34 evaluations in a week-and-a-half (no pressure, there...). I made the deadline, and have been delivering the evals to the employees all week. Not all of the employees received a glowing review. One such individual was rated at "Below Expectations", and subsequently was ineligible for a pay increase.
This did not go over well with him. He proceeded to tell me that this place doesn't give a f*#k about him, and that this evaluation is the proof of that. He asked if it's because he's brown? Said he doesn't know if this is me being racist, or not, or if it's because he's a Muslim. Said he knows I don't like him, and that I'm subconsciously letting everyone around me know that. And on, and on, and on... :rolleyes:

I cannot get out of here fast enough.

I hired a guy last month that we already had to let go. Missed 8.5 days for various sicknesses in 21 days. 7 of the days he actually showed up he didn’t have a choice since he was on a business trip with a few of us. He was only in our office 5.5 days.

I was asked if we should give him another chance and the only guaranteed path of non failure was to say no.

I hired a guy last month that we already had to let go. Missed 8.5 days for various sicknesses in 21 days. 7 of the days he actually showed up he didn’t have a choice since he was on a business trip with a few of us. He was only in our office 5.5 days.

I was asked if we should give him another chance and the only guaranteed path of non failure was to say no.

Yeah, I think that guy may have worked here for a while...:sneaky:

I felt bad for him, he’s going through some stuff. But I couldn’t depend on him and the drama doesn’t help in the office.

I get it. There are those who have things happen in their lives. Hell, we all go through that at some point, I believe. However, there are also those who just seem to be absolutely immersed/engulfed in drama. I don't know whether they create it themselves, or it just seemingly gravitates toward them. Either way, it's hard to run a business...any business...with that kind of stuff happening on a regular basis.

I get it. There are those who have things happen in their lives. Hell, we all go through that at some point, I believe. However, there are also those who just seem to be absolutely immersed/engulfed in drama. I don't know whether they create it themselves, or it just seemingly gravitates toward them. Either way, it's hard to run a business...any business...with that kind of stuff happening on a regular basis.

And that mimics what I told the owner. Personally I’d give him a chance. But, business wise he needed to go and I’m running a business.

@Squatch - here you go a split windshield, retirement celebration purchase.

Screenshot 2023-04-01 9.22.44 AM.png

@Squatch - here you go a split windshield, retirement celebration purchase.

View attachment 412216

I have a friend (an old coworker who has long-since retired) who has a '62 Jeep Wagon 2wd in his barn. His dad was the original owner. Anyway, he offered it to me years ago for $1,500. The engine is seized, but is otherwise in really decent shape. I was actually thinking about seeing if he still has it. Then again, I have 10 cars here at the house, so maybe I don't actually need another money-pit. ;)

Some interesting stuff going on at work.

*I'm outta there on 4/28/23
*General Manager (former president of the company) also gone on 4/28/23
*My boss, the current Plant Manager (great guy) is being promoted to General Manager. It's a well-deserved promotion. This guy started at the company 35 years ago as a stock-cutter, and now he's going to be running the show. Congratulations to him! Unfortunately, it's akin to Skipper telling Gilligan that he's in charge of the S.S. Minnow just before she runs aground. That's how I see it, anyway.
*One of the Quality Control folks came up to me today and told me he has accepted a position at another company, and that tomorrow is his last day. He gave his boss a 2-day notice.
*Speaking of his boss, that individual gave a 1-week notice. He's the head of the entire QC Department, and he's fleeing the melee on 4/21/23.
*One of the three purchasing agents has turned-in her notice, and will be gone by the end of the month. `Rumor has it that her boss is also threatening to leave...

As for me, my vehicle will only be darkening my parking spot with oil drippings eleven more times, and then it's over. I think I'm gonna drive my ol' diesel Dodge in on my final day. That old truck was my daily commuter for well over ten years, so it only seems fitting that it should see me out of there on my last drive in. I'm looking forward to it. (y)

*My boss, the current Plant Manager (great guy) is being promoted to General Manager. It's a well-deserved promotion. This guy started at the company 35 years ago as a stock-cutter, and now he's going to be running the show. Congratulations to him! Unfortunately, it's akin to Skipper telling Gilligan that he's in charge of the S.S. Minnow just before she runs aground. That's how I see it, anyway.
*One of the Quality Control folks came up to me today and told me he has accepted a position at another company, and that tomorrow is his last day. He gave his boss a 2-day notice.
*Speaking of his boss, that individual gave a 1-week notice. He's the head of the entire QC Department, and he's fleeing the melee on 4/21/23.
*One of the three purchasing agents has turned-in her notice, and will be gone by the end of the month. `Rumor has it that her boss is also threatening to leave...

As for me, my vehicle will only be darkening my parking spot with oil drippings eleven more times, and then it's over. I think I'm gonna drive my ol' diesel Dodge in on my final day. That old truck was my daily commuter for well over ten years, so it only seems fitting that it should see me out of there on my last drive in. I'm looking forward to it. (y)

Damn I'm actually excited for you!! When is the retirement party???

Congrats on the retirement. Hope all is well and you have a enjoyable time.

Damn I'm actually excited for you!! When is the retirement party???

PARTY........ Partieeeeeeeeee !!!!

So happy for ya Squatch. Thanks for the update. A company is only as good as the individuals running it.
Got plans for retirement??

It looks like you are in a much better frame of mind than when you started this thread. I retired at 56 back in 14 and never looked back. I do miss “Some” of the people I worked with and still keep in touch with some of them. They tell me it is still a Shit Show so I know that was not my fault.
Pace yourself and do not try to get everything done right away. I found I have more patience with people and things after retiring.

It looks like you are in a much better frame of mind than when you started this thread. I retired at 56 back in 14 and never looked back. I do miss “Some” of the people I worked with and still keep in touch with some of them. They tell me it is still a Shit Show so I know that was not my fault.
Pace yourself and do not try to get everything done right away. I found I have more patience with people and things after retiring.

Thanks for the advice, man. Right now, I am absolutely convinced that I've made the right decision. My only area of concern is finances. I've always been good with my money, but that's because it's what I wanted to do. Now, it will become something that I have to do, so it's more critical to me. I've done what I can to prepare myself, but we all know that's not a guarantee of success. Still, I'm only going to be aware of it enough to keep things headed in the right direction, but not enough to let it ruin my days. That's about the best I can do, I figure.