Not sure I want this promotion

With plenty of first hand experience dealing with the one thing that you appear to be the most concerned with, Seattle traffic, personally it would not be worth the headache unless they are willing to adjust your hours so you could avoid rush hour...

It's not just the added time and stress of getting to work, you also have to factor in the added cost in fuel from the, oh so wonderful, stop and (jackrabbit) go from the time you get on the interstate until you exit. (More realistically from Lynwood to Seattle)

When I started working in Kent (commuting from Camano Island, 1.5 hour commute each way) I had to open the store at 7 so I always beat the traffic. I usually worked 11 hour days so by the time I got off work at 6 traffic had calmed back down. When the shop owner decided he wanted to cut my hours back to starting at 8 and getting off at 4, my commute went to 2.5 hours in the morning and any where from 3 to 4 hours in the evening. Job duties stayed the same but stress level went through the roof!!

That was one of the biggest driving factors in my decision to say adios to WA and move back to Idaho.

With plenty of first hand experience dealing with the one thing that you appear to be the most concerned with, Seattle traffic, personally it would not be worth the headache unless they are willing to adjust your hours so you could avoid rush hour...

It's not just the added time and stress of getting to work, you also have to factor in the added cost in fuel from the, oh so wonderful, stop and (jackrabbit) go from the time you get on the interstate until you exit. (More realistically from Lynwood to Seattle)

When I started working in Kent (commuting from Camano Island, 1.5 hour commute each way) I had to open the store at 7 so I always beat the traffic. I usually worked 11 hour days so by the time I got off work at 6 traffic had calmed back down. When the shop owner decided he wanted to cut my hours back to starting at 8 and getting off at 4, my commute went to 2.5 hours in the morning and any where from 3 to 4 hours in the evening. Job duties stayed the same but stress level went through the roof!!

That was one of the biggest driving factors in my decision to say adios to WA and move back to Idaho.
Well, you've nailed it when it comes to the commute issues, including the areas of greatest congestion. If I was looking at anything close to those extremes in traffic, it would be a hard "No" to even considering the position. However, if they're willing to work with me on the hours, then there's some potential to me accepting the offer. It will definitely be a main point of discussion when I sit down with the plant manager, again.

I thought I read you worked for Boeing... Must have been you said you worked "for Boeing" like they are your biggest customer. Sorry bout that.

For what it worth, I am think you're approaching this from the proper perspective. Once you reach a decision, I think you'll be happy, which ever way you go!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mike. In general, I'm a happy guy ('cept when it comes to politics ;)). I know that I'll make the best of whatever direction this goes. I just want to make the decision armed with as much information as I can.

Well, you've nailed it when it comes to the commute issues, including the areas of greatest congestion. If I was looking at anything close to those extremes in traffic, it would be a hard "No" to even considering the position. However, if they're willing to work with me on the hours, then there's some potential to me accepting the offer. It will definitely be a main point of discussion when I sit down with the plant manager, again.
The hardest thing to factor into my commute was Boeing, Getting through Everett was a shooting match so I always left a half an hour earlier than I needed to which put me just ahead of Boing and substantially ahead of Seattle traffic. If I got caught in Boing Traffic 9 times out of 10 it put me in the middle of Seattle traffic too. It's funny how 15 minutes can make the difference between a 1.5 and 2.5 hour commute.

I'm not sure where in Everett you live but if Boing traffic is going to be a factor... Leave earlier than they do... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I just want to take a moment and thank you guys for taking the time in offering some words of wisdom. I know this is a Jeep forum, but sometimes there are things that just take priority over other things. You all taking the time to share your thoughts on a subject that actually has no affect on you, but could have serious consequences for me, well...I appreciate it. Seriously. Thanks, guys.

Anytime and always brother.😎👍

I have a guy on here that offered to meet up with me to show me around his area and gave advice on things like that.

Another that led me to a deal on a truck and trailer. Yep be given some parts away for free and I have some more too. It’s nice to have a good forum to reach out to.

The hardest thing to factor into my commute was Boeing, Getting through Everett was a shooting match so I always left a half an hour earlier than I needed to which put me just ahead of Boing and substantially ahead of Seattle traffic. If I got caught in Boing Traffic 9 times out of 10 it put me in the middle of Seattle traffic too. It's funny how 15 minutes can make the difference between a 1.5 and 2.5 hour commute.

I'm not sure where in Everett you live but if Boing traffic is going to be a factor... Leave earlier than they do... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Bingo! That fifteen minutes difference can make ALL the difference in the world! And yeah, I live just north of the Hwy 2 trestle, so Boeing is an issue at certain times. Fortunately, I've always been able to dodge that bullet. (y)

Bingo! That fifteen minutes difference can make ALL the difference in the world! And yeah, I live just north of the Hwy 2 trestle, so Boeing is an issue at certain times. Fortunately, I've always been able to dodge that bullet. (y)
Ahhh North Everett.. Know it well!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Which ever way you decide to go, just remember tranquility and fresh air await your retirement.

I
I know plenty of people who think like you do, and that's fine. My kid brother is one. He makes three times my annual salary, owns 20 acres in Colorado, had a hunting lodge built that is over double the size of the home I live in, and he's still not satisfied, or even happy, to be honest. He buys high-end vehicles every couple of years, and then complains that he's always broke. I'm sure I could live pretty well on his version of "broke", but whatever. We're all different, my friend. Just remember, the world needs its ditch-diggers, too. ;)
I didn't take his post that way. I absolutely want to make the most I can within reason (not gonna go to Azerbaijan as a contractor and not see my family), and I'll take a challenging opportunity and every chance I get to learn something new because it makes me more valuable, and that approach has paid off as I described in an earlier post. But I don't think of the extra money as funding some extravagant lifestyle, I think of it as security and a more comfortable retirement. None of our friends make what I do but they all spent at or near the same on their houses and drive newer cars. But I bet they're not putting 15% of their paycheck into retirement...

I

I didn't take his post that way. I absolutely want to make the most I can within reason (not gonna go to Azerbaijan as a contractor and not see my family), and I'll take a challenging opportunity and every chance I get to learn something new because it makes me more valuable, and that approach has paid off as I described in an earlier post. But I don't think of the extra money as funding some extravagant lifestyle, I think of it as security and a more comfortable retirement. None of our friends make what I do but they all spent at or near the same on their houses and drive newer cars. But I bet they're not putting 15% of their paycheck into retirement...
I may have misinterpreted his meaning. Whether I did or did not, I surely meant no disrespect to his viewpoint. As I see it, there are many different approaches to one's choices in life, and I admire those who know exactly what their goals are, and the way that's best suited to them to obtain those goals. Even in the case of my brother. While I don't see it his way, I'm sure he feels similarly about my own decisions in life. I also don't believe he would do it any differently, even if given the chance. He's driven, I'll give him that! ;)

We have members here from all walks of life, and with all kinds of employment experience. I'd like to tap into some of that experience and get some different perspectives on a situation I find myself in.

I'm just a skosh under 58 years of age, and have been working at the same manufacturing facility for 37 years. All of that time has been working second shift, and in the same department. I became a "lead" after two years, and a supervisor after fifteen years. I have a great crew of twelve folks, and I absolutely love the shift (for me, it's 2:30pm to around midnight). My boss is a cantankerous, obstinate individual (the area manager) who will be retiring in June of 2021. About two years ago, the plant manager and my boss asked if I'd be interested in taking over my boss' position when he retires, and I told them that I was not even remotely interested. I explained that my goal is to stop working at 63, and get the hell out of Dodge (Washington state). I also said that after all these years of swing shift hours, the idea of starting work at 6:00am held no appeal to me whatsoever. I told them this two years ago, and have never waivered from that position. In fact, I even suggested one of my own crew members as a candidate for the position, and they agreed that he would be a good fit.

Fast forward to last Thursday, and in a nutshell, the plant manager has informed me that he really wants me to take the position. He says that he has always considered me the #2 guy, and that he really can't even consider anyone else within the plant for the position. He said I'm the most logical choice, and would I please keep it in mind, and keep the dialog going on the subject.

Ugh.

Here's the thing, guys...I feel a certain obligation to take the position. I mean, sure, I'm honored/flattered that they believe I could do the job, but what hits me the most is this sense I have of commitment and obligation/duty to the company. I get that it makes the most sense to put me in that spot. I already do 75% of the job, anyways. The guy I recommended would be bumped up to a supervisor to replace me, and I'd move to dayshift and become the area manager, in charge of all three shifts. Do I think I could handle the job? I suppose so. But do I want that level of stress and responsibility? Do I want to change almost four decades of my "regularly scheduled program" to something where I'm forced to wake up in the morning at a time when I used to be just falling asleep? I just don't know. Hell, the difference in traffic, alone, is enough to dissuade most. My commute one way is now 45 minutes. That could easily become 75-90 minutes with the new shift.

I can only assume that there would be a monetary benefit to me taking the promotion. That would help me realize some of my goals (paying off the house, and retiring at 63). And I would only be doing the job for 4 and a half years, so there would be a light at the end of the tunnel. But still...the meetings, the added stress, the schedule. Would it be worth it?

I'd really like to hear what you all might have to say. Advice. Suggestions. Opinions. Tell me I'm nucking futs. Let me hear what you think about all this. I'm literally losing sleep over this situation, as I'm seriously torn as to whether this is a real opportunity, or a huge mistake in the making.

Thanks,
Squatch
First..... How did you pull this off?.... last we heard you were on your way out over a pumpkin :ROFLMAO:

Second... and to the point. Your highlighted sentence above tells me that you know what it will bring. Don't trade the money for a position that will detract from the well being you've had for 37 years. If the money is not "needed" then I'd say the stress of a leadership position isn't worth it.

I speak from some familiarity on this. Long ago I was in a 18 person architectural firm in Spokane and was "given" a chance to buy into it and make some more money etc. That began a long road away from what I got into the profession to do. Sure I made some money but the passion I had for the craft slowly began to disappear and was replaced with stress, frustration and all of the unhealthy things that come with it.

Long story short.... I sold the firm, moved to Phoenix and took a position that got me back into the actual "work" again. At a "skosh" over 57 I'm as happy professionally as I've been in 25 years.

That's my take based on what you've written.

My goal is to never work again, I retired in 2000 when I was 40. I no longer have to deal with the general public, I don't miss it one bit. I hope you get to retire, and enjoy life even more.
Congrats on that.... Not sure I could do that. My father died at 96 and retired at 66... he told me that if I only listened to one piece of advice he gave me it should be to never retire too early.

First..... How did you pull this off?.... last we heard you were on your way out over a pumpkin :ROFLMAO:

Second... and to the point. Your highlighted sentence above tells me that you know what it will bring. Don't trade the money for a position that will detract from the well being you've had for 37 years. If the money is not "needed" then I'd say the stress of a leadership position isn't worth it.

I speak from some familiarity on this. Long ago I was in a 18 person architectural firm in Spokane and was "given" a chance to buy into it and make some more money etc. That began a long road away from what I got into the profession to do. Sure I made some money but the passion I had for the craft slowly began to disappear and was replaced with stress, frustration and all of the unhealthy things that come with it.

Long story short.... I sold the firm, moved to Phoenix and took a position that got me back into the actual "work" again. At a "skosh" over 57 I'm as happy professionally as I've been in 25 years.

That's my take based on what you've written.
Thank you for that, my friend. It gives me pause for thought...

Oh, and I had to laugh at this one... :ROFLMAO:
"First..... How did you pull this off?.... last we heard you were on your way out over a pumpkin" :ROFLMAO: