Not sure I want this promotion

My dad is retiring at 69 at Jan. 1st.

He regretted not going earlier.

I hope to be done by 50-55. But I have income and hobbies.

I think the ones with low to basic income struggle. I’d hate to look out a window all day waiting to die.

And just a general observation. Not directly pointed to anyone.

I hope my dad lives many years but his dad and grandpa lived to 70-71.

Breaks my heart but hope he lives well past it.

My dad is retiring at 69 at Jan. 1st.

He regretted not going earlier.

I hope to be done by 50-55. But I have income and hobbies.

I think the ones with low to basic income struggle. I’d hate to look out a window all day waiting to die.
I fully intend to retire in a rather modest fashion. Frugality has its benefits. And Lord knows that having hobbies is a benefit in retirement, as long as you don't let them take over your common sense, and deplete your savings. I do worry about my wife, though, as she does not have a real passion for anything with which to fill her time. That could be a problem...

I fully intend to retire in a rather modest fashion. Frugality has its benefits. And Lord knows that having hobbies is a benefit in retirement, as long as you don't let them take over your common sense, and deplete your savings. I do worry about my wife, though, as she does not have a real passion for anything with which to fill her time. That could be a problem...

Well. You are welcome to my place and we will have a hobby farm. My wife is already planning on chickens, geese, ducks, a mini donkey and mini jersey cows. And if we find a place with a pond, catfish. And if land allowed, alpacas. My mom is going to sell alpaca wool and butter and cream.

I have more stuff.

Buffalo, Missouri.

Just saying brother!

And just a general observation. Not directly pointed to anyone.

I hope my dad lives many years but his dad and grandpa lived to 70-71.

Breaks my heart but hope he lives well past it.
That's all the more reason for me to try and retire at 63. None of us is promised a tomorrow. I'd like to enjoy some down time, if'n the Good Lord allows it...

Well. You are welcome to my place and we will have a hobby farm. My wife is already planning on chickens, geese, ducks, a mini donkey and mini jersey cows. And if we find a place with a pond, catfish. And if land allowed, alpacas. My mom is going to sell alpaca wool and butter and cream.

I have more stuff.

Buffalo, Missouri.

Just saying brother!
Dayyum! Look at you! I have relatives in Missouri, though the name of the town escapes me, at the moment. It's awesome that you have this plan in place. That rocks, my friend!

• Love
Reactions: Rick Flair
Interesting thread . . . . . hoping you'll gain some insight Squatch.
Didn't feel ready for retirement at age 64. Had worked as a heavy equipment operator in the coast logging industry 40+ years.
Once I did retire, it was readily apparent that I could have done it about 4 years sooner . . . 4 years I'll never get back.
It really doesn't cost me much to live anymore.
If your relatively debt free, retirement is nice.
Your hobbies will serve you well, and you have the time to try new hobbies.
Everyone's situations and expectations are different . . . . mine worked out well.
Health is something to consider. You can make yourself ill doing a stress filled job, and it's just not worth it in our later years.
Good luck to you Squatch . . .

Interesting thread . . . . . hoping you'll gain some insight Squatch.
Didn't feel ready for retirement at age 64. Had worked as a heavy equipment operator in the coast logging industry 40+ years.
Once I did retire, it was readily apparent that I could have done it about 4 years sooner . . . 4 years I'll never get back.
It really doesn't cost me much to live anymore.
If your relatively debt free, retirement is nice.
Your hobbies will serve you well, and you have the time to try new hobbies.
Everyone's situations and expectations are different . . . . mine worked out well.
Health is something to consider. You can make yourself ill doing a stress filled job, and it's just not worth it in our later years.
Good luck to you Squatch . . .
Thanks, buddy. As some of you know, I've been pushing hard to get myself healthier. A diabetes diagnosis about seven months ago scared the hell outta me. Since then, I've lost 62 lbs., and have had my last two tests show numbers that were below the level of diabetes. The point is, I don't want to retire with health issues right from the start. If I can go into retirement with some good health history, then I figure I'm just increasing my chances of sticking around for a bit. Just seems like a sensible way to approach it, ya know?

I have more stuff.

Buffalo, Missouri.

Just saying brother!
Don’t forget to get some fainting goats

I wouldn't likely be able to step back into my old position, so I pretty much need to rule that option out. If I accepted it, I'd stick with it. What I'm struggling with is whether to accept it in the first place.

As it stands right now, I've pretty much got it made, but almost to a fault. I have a well-trained crew that does an excellent job. In fact, they do so well, there are times that I'm not sure they couldn't do fine without me here. The better they get (and they're good!), the easier my job becomes. As a result of that, however, I find that I have not been challenged by anything in my job for years, now. It has become a little too cushy, at times. Boring, even. So have I just become complacent, and maybe even afraid to accept something that might challenge me? Or am I looking at it sensibly, in that I have stayed on this path all along, with the end goal in sight, and all I need to do is finish the damn race?
I didn’t read all five pages, but I think this is your answer. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself for a few years. Whatever aspects of the job you don’t know (and it doesn’t sound like much), I’m sure you’ll figure out quick. I think it’s important to go for a big promotion when one is offered to you. Who knows, you may even enjoy it. Go for it!

Reactions: Squatch