NP241OR Transfer Case Leak

Jay MacLeay

TJ Enthusiast
I noticed a puddle of red fluid on my garage floor the other day. I believe it is the atf leaking out of my tcase. I have a 2005 Rubicon with a 6 speed tranny. I can't tell where the leak is coming from. The only thing I can say with a high degree of certainty is that it's not coming from the output shaft. Anyone have suggestions for where I should be looking?

Why do you think it's coming from the TC if you see no evidence of a leak on the actual TC?

Any chance it's power steering fluid?

Thanks Brian, I pulled the skid over the weekend and didn't really see anything, but I initially thought it was coming from the tranny, so that's where I was focusing my attention. I have 100k miles on the Jeep and I don't know if the trans fluid has ever been changed. While I had the skid off I went ahead and changed the trans fluid. There hasn't been any leaks since I did that, but now I am starting to think that's because the fluid was coming from the transfer case and it has all leaked out. I'm going to get more atf 4 and fill up the transfer case, then drive around and check the transfer case for leaks. I just wanted to know where I should be looking. Where are the places on a np241or that may leak? @Jerry Bransford @Chris @mrblaine

Thanks Brian, I pulled the skid over the weekend and didn't really see anything, but I initially thought it was coming from the tranny, so that's where I was focusing my attention. I have 100k miles on the Jeep and I don't know if the trans fluid has ever been changed. While I had the skid off I went ahead and changed the trans fluid. There hasn't been any leaks since I did that, but now I am starting to think that's because the fluid was coming from the transfer case and it has all leaked out. I'm going to get more atf 4 and fill up the transfer case, then drive around and check the transfer case for leaks. I just wanted to know where I should be looking. Where are the places on a np241or that may leak? @Jerry Bransford @Chris @mrblaine
There are more places it can leak than it can't. Any connection, fitting, bearing, seal flange, or flange interface can leak.

X2 to what Blaine said. You need to remove the skid and inspect. It's very easy to do, and that's where you ought to start.

Clean it up and let the vehicle run while you're under there. If it's leaking bad enough, you should be able to spot where the leak is coming from.

So, I bought so atf 4 and went to put some in the fill plug... It just started pouring out right after I started pumping it in. Assuming that means it is full, and that the leak is not coming from the transfer case.

What else could it be? The fluid is red and puddles under the center of the Jeep. I looked at the top of the skidplate and there's some fluid where the trans mounts to the skidplate. Could it be hydraulic fluid from the clutch?

Have you even checked all the levels to see what is low? Check the p/s level. Is it low? There's the leak. Check the engine. Is it low? There's your leak. It really isn't that hard. Did you check the trans level before you changed it? How about the transfer? It's easy enough to stick a finger in the fill hole and see.

If you have ever changed your speedometer gear the O-ring that seals the speedo housing to the tcase might be nicked and the source of the leak. It happened to me.

If you have ever changed your speedometer gear the O-ring that seals the speedo housing to the tcase might be nicked and the source of the leak. It happened to me.

X2. The seal around my hall sensor went south and it released a ton of fluid.

I too have a leak from the transfer case after installing a SYE (not by me). I took it to the oil change shop and they checked the fluids and said it was full. Started pouring out the moment they loosened/removed plug. Im thinking it may be a seal or poorly installed SYE.

A37FAB7F-21A6-4BC2-AD6D-E4738822C398.jpeg

830F2B8B-1218-430D-A324-FFC5DE884E8B.jpeg

CC2A5937-8324-4AFE-87B4-F13A4F7DF0D3.jpeg