NTK sensors vs Mopar

Modoc Guy

Jack of all trades, master of none
Supporting Member
I wanted to replace the TPS on my throttle body because I believed it was acting up. I was on the Rock Auto site and found the OEM sensor, but they also had an NTK similarly priced.

I wondered if since the NTK o2 sensors work/are the same as OEM, I thought it might be true of other NTK sensors for our Jeeps.

So, skip to the punch line and it seems to work perfectly!

Has anyone else had similar experiences with other NTK sensors? I’m going to replace the cam sensor and probably the MAP as well. Since my 4.0 is pushing 100k miles and running a little rough and surge-y I thought it prudent.

So I wanted to ask you all what your experiences have been with NTK sensors.

Thanks to all for your input on this topic. 😺

I don't see any reason anyone would purchase NTK sensors -even if they are OEM quality - over genuine Mopar sensors if they are the same price.

• Face Palm
Reactions: skrelnik
I've had bad luck with NTK camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. The Crown camshaft position sensor that came with the Crown OPDA has worked flawlessly, and the O'Reilly house brand crankshaft position sensor is the only one that hasn't given me trouble yet.

I do have NTK ignition coils, which have given me zero issues. Oxygen sensors work fine as expected.

I've had bad luck with NTK camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. The Crown camshaft position sensor that came with the Crown OPDA has worked flawlessly, and the O'Reilly house brand crankshaft position sensor is the only one that hasn't given me trouble yet.

I do have NTK ignition coils, which have given me zero issues. Oxygen sensors work fine as expected.
Thanks Steel City 06, that’s what I’m looking for, direct experience.

I usually insist on OEM regardless of the cost, but as our Jeeps get older and fewer manufacturers make replacement parts, it’s good to know what works and what doesn’t.

Heard good things about Crown cam sensors and will go with it.

Would like to know more experiences with MAP sensors. That’s a $111 sensor. The TPS was $20. Don’t mind doing a test with 20 bucks, 100+ dollar tests are a little rich for my pocketbook!

Reactions: txbemis69
Installing camshaft sensors you are supposed to preform a re-learn with the DRB3. Most people don't want to do that because it's not easy to find a shop that knows how to do it and it costs money. People really push for Mopar on that one because it has the best chance of not requiring this procedure.

Reactions: Chris
Installing camshaft sensors you are supposed to preform a re-learn with the DRB3. Most people don't want to do that because it's not easy to find a shop that knows how to do it and it costs money. People really push for Mopar on that one because it has the best chance of not requiring this procedure.

Yep, this is what I’ve learned as well.

My guess is that the aftermarket sensors might fair much better if people did the re-learn procedure.

The Crown one that came with my OPDA did not require a relearn. Did one anyways trying to diagnose a misfire, but that did not solve the problem.

The NTK one immediately threw a CEL as soon as I put it in, so the Crown one went back in.

Mopar ones were not available at the time, so I couldn't use them.

Reactions: pagrey and Chris

Hey, I did a search for NTK crankshaft position sensor reviews and this TJ forum came up. I read your post above about having bad luck with NTK CPS. I recently installed an NTK CPS into my XJ and a couple weeks later, I'm getting similar symptoms, but without the CEL this time around. Stuttering, Engine turning off when I shift into Drive. I have a post on CherokeeForums: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/stutter-light-acceleration-266684/#post3679697
Any info you can provide about your experience with the NTK CPS would be helpful. Thanks!

Hey, I did a search for NTK crankshaft position sensor reviews and this TJ forum came up. I read your post above about having bad luck with NTK CPS. I recently installed an NTK CPS into my XJ and a couple weeks later, I'm getting similar symptoms, but without the CEL this time around. Stuttering, Engine turning off when I shift into Drive. I have a post on CherokeeForums: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/stutter-light-acceleration-266684/#post3679697
Any info you can provide about your experience with the NTK CPS would be helpful. Thanks!

I think I went through like three of the NTK sensors before I found one that actually worked for a decent amount of time. I actually had better luck with an Autozone house brand sensor. That said, now that the Mopar sensors are available again, I went ahead and ordered one of those, which works flawlessly.

I also had a similar issue recently with Cam-Crank correlation, but that was fixed by aligning the OPDA position with the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer.

I wondered the same thing a couple weeks ago when I was looking for an ECT sensor. Saw some ntk, standard motor products, and wondered if ntk was the OEM for any sensors other than O2. It's unlikely all the sensors were from the same OEM.

That said, tps, map, ECT and iat are all very simple devices electronically speaking so I'd be more willing to experiment on those. The O2 and shaft positioning sensors have to be very quick and have a specific and precise response so those need to be very good to work well.

I think I went through like three of the NTK sensors before I found one that actually worked for a decent amount of time. I actually had better luck with an Autozone house brand sensor. That said, now that the Mopar sensors are available again, I went ahead and ordered one of those, which works flawlessly.
NTK makes all of the Mopar O2 sensors. You had good luck with Autozone's sensors but their Duralast brand is the last brand I'd ever buy again.

NTK makes all of the Mopar O2 sensors. You had good luck with Autozone's sensors but their Duralast brand is the last brand I'd ever buy again.

I have had no problems with the NTK oxygen sensors, and would definitely recommend them. However, their camshaft and crankshaft position sensors (which is what I was referring to in the above comment) have given me nothing but problems.

From what I recall, the factory camshaft and crankshaft sensors were made by someone other than NTK, but I could be wrong there.

I also had a similar issue recently with Cam-Crank correlation, but that was fixed by aligning the OPDA position with the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer.

I ordered a Mopar CPS through Amazon and just got a call their inventory was incorrect, there's a national backorder, and I'm being refunded. Anyone recommend where to purchase a Mopar CPS?

I ordered a Mopar CPS through Amazon and just got a call their inventory was incorrect, there's a national backorder, and I'm being refunded. Anyone recommend where to purchase a Mopar CPS?

I’ve had 3 different orders for a Mopar crank sensor canceled due to back order. Finally got one off of eBay but item was first ordered from a distributor so stock could be hit or miss. As someone mentioned, mopar does appear to be making these again.