NV3550 or NSG370

RyansTJ

Hey guys, I’m new to this forum. In my hunt for my first Wrangler, I’ve decided on a TJ or LJ with a 4.0 and a manual transmission. Now should I pick the 5-speed NV3550 or 6-speed NSG370? What would you prefer?

My Jeep LJ has an automatic, but based on my experience with this forum, pick the best vehicle in your price range. You won't be disappointed

Reactions: RyansTJ
All things equal, the AX-15 in the earlier TJs is actually the most desirable manual transmission it would seem.

The NV3550 isn't bad (it seems to be a better choice than the NSG370), but when the NV3550 goes bad, most seem to replace it with an AX-15 because it bolts-in with no modifications, it's half the cost, parts are easy to find (and a lot less as well), and it has much more aftermarket support as well.

But if all we're talking about is the NV3550 vs the NSG370, I'd take the NV3550, as it seems to have the better reputation of the two. Of course this is just based off internet talk I've followed, so take it for what it's worth.

If you want a 5 speed, then you won't be getting an LJ. At least not in stock form. ;)

Reactions: Chris
If you want a 5 speed, then you won't be getting an LJ. At least not in stock form. ;)

The NV3550 came in 00-04 models. The LJ was made from 04-06.

So technically you should be able to get an LJ with a NV3550, albeit for one year only.

I couldn't recommend the Mercedes trans (NSG370). Unless it just had the $2500 dollar rebuild. I got lucky and mine doesn't pop out of first or reverse. It only grinds hard on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts..... So annoying....

My LJ has the NSG370 in it. I've owned it since late October and it gets driven daily. I still haven't made up my mind if I like the trans yet. It works pretty good, but the shifter is sloppy. Like I think I'm putting it in 3rd and it goes into 5th. If I take my time about shifting, I usually get it right. I haven't had it pop out of gear yet.

I'm thinking about one of those B&M shifters for it though.

I've had both the nv3550 in my 04 and the nsg370 in my current LJR. Of the two, I liked the 5 speed better, but it was a lot louder than the 6 speed. If and when I replace/rebuild my 6 speed, I'll most likely put in an AX15. It really was a great 5 speed manual.

Out of my four Jeeps I had an AX-5, two NSG370s and my current NV3550. No issues in any of them other than a clutch slave cylinder failure on the AX-5 (which was in the bell housing, fun). All of them had over 110,000 to 170,000 original miles on them. Personally I prefer a five speed over a six speed, all things being equal.

That being said: when my NV3550 craps out I'll eventually go with an AX-15.

Of what I have read NV3550s don't take well to rebuilds anyhow while an AX-15 does. That and you can buy a brand new AX-15 if you want for $1,600 according to @Brantley here whereas New Venture (who made the NV3550) is no more. Even a rebuilt AX-15 is cheaper than an NV3550 and has a better reputation with the only downside being that in it's stock configuration it has a numerically lower 1st gear (3.8 to 4.0).

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I'm no longer a fan of manual transmissions in a Wrangler that sees tough offroad trails but I'm in agreement with Chris above on manual transmission choices. My first choice would definitely be the AX-15, with the NV3550 being in non-close second place, with the NSG370 being in a very distant third place. Not many feel the NSG370 was a good choice for a Wrangler.

I'm no longer a fan of manual transmissions in a Wrangler that sees tough offroad trails but I'm in agreement with Chris above on manual transmission choices. My first choice would definitely be the AX-15, with the NV3550 being in non-close second place, with the NSG370 being in a very distant third place. Not many feel the NSG370 was a good choice for a Wrangler.

As I get older my appreciation for Autos grows, specially off-road. The problem is trying to convert to an AT is also painful. My current Jeep will remain a manual, any future Jeep down the road will most likely be an AT. Then I'll kick myself for that decision too. ;)

If I end up having to replace the NSG370, I'm thinking a TH700R4 would make a good choice for an auto to replace it. No computer module, a bit taller overdrive than the 6spd and one of the lowest 1st gear ratios in an auto trans.

Doesn't that transmission have a .7 Overdrive, essentially as bad as the 42RLE's .69?

Also, an automatic's 1st gear ratio numbers don't mean much due to the torque converter. The torque converter gives an automatic an essentially infinitely low first gear ratio.

Last edited:
My original NV3550 lasted about 193,000 miles before it started to give me trouble. 1st - 4th gear synchros were shot and it liked to pop out of 5th gear. For comparison, the original clutch was replaced at 189,000 (even though it was still in working condition). I replaced my NV3550 with a rebuilt unit after rev matching for a year. The rebuilt unit pops out of 4th on deceleration if I don't hold the shifter and pops out of 2nd in 4low unless I really pull back hard. It isn't enough of a problem to bother fixing currently, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably go with an AX15. My Jeep will never have anything besides a manual transmission. I'll probably end up ditching the NV3550 for some other manual in 10+ years when I decide to swap to something besides a 4.0L.

If I was buying a Jeep today, I'd want an AX15. But if I found the right Jeep with an NV3550, I wouldn't shy away from buying it. The NV3550 isn't as good as an AX15, but it is definitely acceptable.

My LJ has the NSG370 in it. I've owned it since late October and it gets driven daily. I still haven't made up my mind if I like the trans yet. It works pretty good, but the shifter is sloppy. Like I think I'm putting it in 3rd and it goes into 5th. If I take my time about shifting, I usually get it right. I haven't had it pop out of gear yet.

I'm thinking about one of those B&M shifters for it though.
I have a B&M shifter in my 04 rubi. I've had the sifter about 4 months now it is firm and gives you a pice of mind when u shift and knowing that ur in the gear you want to be in.

My original NV3550 lasted about 193,000 miles before it started to give me trouble. 1st - 4th gear synchros were shot and it liked to pop out of 5th gear. For comparison, the original clutch was replaced at 189,000 (even though it was still in working condition). I replaced my NV3550 with a rebuilt unit after rev matching for a year. The rebuilt unit pops out of 4th on deceleration if I don't hold the shifter and pops out of 2nd in 4low unless I really pull back hard. It isn't enough of a problem to bother fixing currently, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably go with an AX15. My Jeep will never have anything besides a manual transmission. I'll probably end up ditching the NV3550 for some other manual in 10+ years when I decide to swap to something besides a 4.0L.

If I was buying a Jeep today, I'd want an AX15. But if I found the right Jeep with an NV3550, I wouldn't shy away from buying it. The NV3550 isn't as good as an AX15, but it is definitely acceptable.
Is I have started having the same problems I'm currently at 201k in my 04 rubi if I remember correctly I started having trouble right at 193k. Was there anyothere problems along with the sencronizors?

All things equal, the AX-15 in the earlier TJs is actually the most desirable manual transmission it would seem.

The NV3550 isn't bad (it seems to be a better choice than the NSG370), but when the NV3550 goes bad, most seem to replace it with an AX-15 because it bolts-in with no modifications, it's half the cost, parts are easy to find (and a lot less as well), and it has much more aftermarket support as well.

But if all we're talking about is the NV3550 vs the NSG370, I'd take the NV3550, as it seems to have the better reputation of the two. Of course this is just based off internet talk I've followed, so take it for what it's worth.
Hey Chris,

Riddle me this. I have an 06 wrangler, 4cylinder that is seized since it popped into gear while being towed. Would the ax15 bolt right up to the frame without modification? What years of engines would bolt up to the ax15? Do all 4.0/2.4 have the same bolt patterns across each year and transmission relative to the same engine(I.e. 99 4.0 vs 06 4.0)

Thanks!