NV3550 replacement / rebuild advice

I spoke to midwesttrans.com the other day and they say confirmed that there is two vertion of the NV3550. As I explained; rockauto have two different kits for rebuilding the NV with two different sizes for the countershaft bearings...

1.18 inch counter shaft bearings
1.30 inch counter shaft bearings

they went on to say Jeep knew for sometime that there was an issue but continued to fit them with the 1.18 inch counter shaft bearings for a while. The cool part was that they showed me how to id the difference;

the vertion with the 1.18 inch counter shaft bearings has a countersunk bolt with a allen key head
shit.jpg

the 1.30 inch has a hex bolt that's not countersunk
good.png

The Terminator by Rockland Standard Gear is a beefed up AX15 and obviously the best and most expensive option but I love the way the NV shifts and I've spent too much time an money getting the Hurst to feel right and I cant used it on the AX.

If I cant sort a good NV before the end of the year I'll just go with the termi, anyone want an awesome shifter for the NV lol

Reactions: motomick76
Thanks bromel and I thought as much, I guess you could say I'm clutching at straws looking for a credible alternative or at least an affordable one.

I've always been of the opinion that the 2000 to 2004 model equipped with the NV was the most bulletprufe and capable TJ including the 2000 to 2002 having the best breakover angle as a result of the transfer skid being dropped lower after 02 to help with driveline vibrations issues that the TJ suffered during those 00-02 years.

I can still shift the tired old NV with my pinky, never jumped out of gear despite its age and condition so I love it and don't want another option if possible. I will contact Rockland on Tuesday - USA time Monday - and hopefully the below information continues to be correct and current...

The TERMINATOR Jeep XJ & TJ Trans Upgrade​

Jeep transmission upgrade for 2000-04 TJ and 2000-2001 XJ.​

Jeep owners now have an alternative to the New Venture 3550 5-speed manual transmission found in 2000-2001 XJ and 2000-2004 TJ Wrangler six cylinder models. The NV 3550 is infamous for the rattling sound it makes in neutral, grinding on the 1-2 shift and jumping out of gear on deceleration.

To make matters even worse, New Venture Gear is out of business, and the only replacement parts are inferior offshore components, or used salvaged parts. Rockland Standard Gear's new 5-speed upgrade appropriately called "The Terminator" is a direct bolt-in replacement with more torque capacity for extreme duty, and for Jeeps with engine modifications.

The Terminator uses the stock shifter (and 4WD shifter) in its original location. OEM replacement parts are guaranteed to be available for the next 10 years, and RSG carries a complete inventory of parts and transmissions. Best of all, upgrading to the Terminator is very affordable and ensures that you will only need to make this fix once.

Nice! but I'm not going to go back to an auto as my first new TJ had an auto and I didn't like it. I yearn for the challenge of selecting the right gear in the most challenging of situations, doesn't always come off right but when it does it's poetry in motion.

Hi Wombat,

I’m in Sydney and I just bought a 2000 TJ that needs a heap of restoration work.

One thing I didn’t realise when I bought it was that the trans is in pretty rough shape.

Instead of trying to find parts and rebuilding the NV3550 here where labour cost is 10x higher than the US, I stumbled across your post here on this Rockland Terminator.

Did you end up getting it?

What did it cost in fright to Aus?

Are you happy with it?

Cheers