NV3550 Transmission 2nd Gear Shifting Issues

PMJeepTJ2000

I recently started to experience some issues putting my car into second gear (grinding). I am deliberate with my shifting and haven't pushed the vehicle to any extremes. At times I have no problems shifting into second, and other times I experience some grinding or it disengages the gear entirely. I haven't experienced any other notable issues in first, third, fourth or fifth.

Notes: The vehicle has roughly 91-92K miles on it and I read the forums on the NV3550 issues. The previous owner was certainly not a member of this forum, or any other, as it appears he/she didn't practice great upkeep (I had some radiator/heat issues early on that I needed to fix).

I plan to...
  1. drain and replace the gear oil with Royal Purple ROY01300 Max Gear 75W90, as well as,
  2. replace he Clutch Combo Master Slave Cylinder Assembly.

I suppose my question is whether or not I need to replace the transmission, or if there could be another issue at hand, or whether I am entirely off the mark with my planned action items above.

Any/all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.

If there is no problem getting into any other gear then clutch problem is low.
It sounds like the syncro is failing in your 2nd gear. Try to shift with a short pause and no down shifting into 2nd. Buy some Redline oil for the transmission oil change. It will do more than other brands. Pay very close attention to what comes out with the old oil. Gold flakes means definitely syncro problems. If you can get a finger in the drain hole check for any grit or sludge in there.
Just be sure to shift out of first, pause a heartbeat, then shift into 2nd.

Thanks reviewing my concern so quickly. I'll try the steps highlighted and respond back with updates later in the week.

If there is no problem getting into any other gear then clutch problem is low.
It sounds like the syncro is failing in your 2nd gear. Try to shift with a short pause and no down shifting into 2nd. Buy some Redline oil for the transmission oil change. It will do more than other brands. Pay very close attention to what comes out with the old oil. Gold flakes means definitely syncro problems. If you can get a finger in the drain hole check for any grit or sludge in there.
Just be sure to shift out of first, pause a heartbeat, then shift into 2nd.

These transmissions are known for being notchy and having shifting issues. Use the Redline MTL and replace the clutch master / slave. If that doesn't do it, you're going to either need to learn to live with it, or get a new transmission.

Reactions: Fonz54
These transmissions are known for being notchy and having shifting issues. Use the Redline MTL and replace the clutch master / slave. If that doesn't do it, you're going to either need to learn to live with it, or get a new transmission.

Thanks for getting back in touch. I'll check out the steps outlined and get back once done.

Reactions: Chris
Yes, the NV3550 is notorious for 2nd gear synchro problems. Redline MTL will help, but it's not a miracle fluid. I had a grind upshifting to 2nd during cold weather, and MTL made it about 75% better, but I still have to pause momentarily between 1 and 2. After 20,000 miles, the problem has not gotten any worse, but it's something I live with. I suspect it will go a lot longer as long as I continue to shift carefully. If I ever replace the transmission, I'm putting in a new AX-15.

I recently started to experience some issues putting my car into second gear (grinding). I am deliberate with my shifting and haven't pushed the vehicle to any extremes. At times I have no problems shifting into second, and other times I experience some grinding or it disengages the gear entirely. I haven't experienced any other notable issues in first, third, fourth or fifth.

Notes: The vehicle has roughly 91-92K miles on it and I read the forums on the NV3550 issues. The previous owner was certainly not a member of this forum, or any other, as it appears he/she didn't practice great upkeep (I had some radiator/heat issues early on that I needed to fix).

I plan to...
  1. drain and replace the gear oil with Royal Purple ROY01300 Max Gear 75W90, as well as,
  2. replace he Clutch Combo Master Slave Cylinder Assembly.

I suppose my question is whether or not I need to replace the transmission, or if there could be another issue at hand, or whether I am entirely off the mark with my planned action items above.

Any/all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.
My '04 is a little notchy going from 2nd to 3rd. Changing to Redline MTL improved it but still a little sticky.

I had this same issue even after switching to the Royal Purple. Did the kerosene flush, then Redline MTL and new Master/Slave combo and the problem went away. 1+ yr later (daily driver) and it's still not an issue.

Thanks, everyone for your help. I did flush out the differential with brake cleaning fluid, refill with Royal Purple, and then replace the master/slave combo and its like driving a completely different vehicle. I think the car just needed some proper maintenance. I also removed the factory stock shifter boot as it was causing minor issues. I plan to replace it with an aftermarket leather piece.

I have the same issue. I've done the new clutch and Redline MTL. A bit better, sounds different anyway. But still there. Wondering if a flush of somekind would have done some good.

Hey all,

Resurrecting this thread.
I planned to pay to have my tranny rebuilt basically due to this very issue (2nd gear synchro problems). I've lived with it for like 7 years by just double clutching to second. I always planned on rebuilding when I got tired of it/had the money. It's costing me $1600. Would anyone here say I'm wasting my money? I considered buying the terminator ( http://tcase.rsgear.com/products/transmissions/terminator™.aspx ), but I'm having my Jeep regeared anyway and thought it was more convenient to just have the tranny finally rebuilt too.

Also, any tips to avoiding the synchro issue in the future? Is it as simple as just shifting at the perfect moment?

Last edited:
Hey all,

I planned to pay to have my tranny rebuilt basically due to this very issue (2nd gear synchro problems). I've lived with it for like 7 years by just double clutching to second. I always planned on rebuilding when I got tired of it/had the money. It's costing me $1600. Would anyone here say I'm wasting my money? I considered buying the terminator ( http://tcase.rsgear.com/products/transmissions/terminator™.aspx ), but I'm having my Jeep regeared anyway and thought it was more convenient to just have the tranny finally rebuilt too.

Also, any tips to avoiding the synchro issue in the future? Is it as simple as just shifting at the perfect moment?

I would not get your NV3550 rebuilt. New Venture is no longer in existence, so unless you're getting new old stock parts, the rebuild components are aftermarket and notoriously crappy. For the same price—$1600—you can get a brand-new AX15, which bolts in without any modification.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/transmission/transmission-packages/ax15-package

Hey all,

I had the same issue and went with the terminator. The gearing is a little different but it works a lot better than what I had. The price is around the same so it was an easy decision for me.

I put a used ax15 had over 250000km on it and it still works great paid only a couple hundred dollars for it and I scrapped the nv3550 as fast as I could. It’s also cheaper and easier to rebuild the ax15.

So please don't make me feel worse guys, but I made a bad decision and had it rebuilt based on price and quickness.

I'm upset about my decision because I've encountered a couple problems. There's a humming when the Jeep is in neutral and it stops to a silence when I press the clutch in. Does anyone know what might be the issue?
Also, the 2, 4, and R all slip. I called and the mechanic said it may need a boot adjustment. I'm bringing it back to the shop on Tuesday I just want to be fully informed when I do. I'm feeling scared that nothing was done right.