OBA tank vs no tank: How long does it take to fill your tires?

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
How long does it take to fill your tires? Does an air tank matter?

Didn't we JUST have another thread on this subject?
I had to copy and paste the URL into an incognito tab just to make sure JMT wasn't trolling here as well, he blocked me for a similar discussion where I told him to shut it about similar threads, there will be more so shut it.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
I had to copy and paste the URL into an incognito tab just to make sure JMT wasn't trolling here as well, he blocked me for a similar discussion where I told him to shut it about similar threads, there will be more so shut it.
He blocked you, too? 😂

Reactions: pagrey
Didn't we JUST have another thread on this subject?
I haven’t seen real numbers and am curious. I also can flip a valve to remove the tank in my setup. So I might as well test it.

My guess is the tank saves 10 seconds.

If I can sneak out of my room this weekend Ill time mine. Id guess somewhere around 5-7 min

• Haha
I’ll time both ways this weekend.
There is a claim that running a 2 gallon tank for your onboard air system shortens the fill time for the tires on a rig by 4 minutes. That needs to be figured out.

The basics are simple. Each time a compressor piston completes a stroke, it produces a very specific volume of air. That can not be disputed. However many strokes it takes to inflate a tire from a given PSI to another given PSI takes X number. Whether those strokes go into temporary storage or into a tire does not and can not change that number.

The amount of time saved by running a temporary storage tank is exactly the amount of time that it takes for the compressor to turn on after you start inflating the tire. There is no 2 gallon air tank on the planet that holds 1 minute of inflation time into a tire that can be filled with an onboard air system at sub 200 psi. It just doesn't work that way.

What is the volume of a 35" tire on a 15" rim?

Screenshot_20211104-211121_Quora.jpg

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-calc...share=046ff39d&srid=YooY&target_type=question

Reactions: psrivats
The basics are simple. Each time a compressor piston completes a stroke, it produces a very specific volume of air.
Nope. High side pressure changes the volume that leaves the chamber.

Edit: overall I agree with post #11 so it don't matter either way for what it's worth

Last edited:
There is a claim that running a 2 gallon tank for your onboard air system shortens the fill time for the tires on a rig by 4 minutes. That needs to be figured out.

The basics are simple. Each time a compressor piston completes a stroke, it produces a very specific volume of air. That can not be disputed. However many strokes it takes to inflate a tire from a given PSI to another given PSI takes X number. Whether those strokes go into temporary storage or into a tire does not and can not change that number.

The amount of time saved by running a temporary storage tank is exactly the amount of time that it takes for the compressor to turn on after you start inflating the tire. There is no 2 gallon air tank on the planet that holds 1 minute of inflation time into a tire that can be filled with an onboard air system at sub 200 psi. It just doesn't work that way.
Something is not correct. A piston stroke does not give a specific amount of air (CFM?) on any air compressor, it varies considerably according to psi it is up against. The viair units I am currently using put out 3.53cfm@0psi and choke to 1.90cfm@100psi and down to 0.85@200psi

The lower end of a tire fill is faster due to less resistance via PSI. As a tire reaches it's desired PSI, the rate of fill is slower. That is why the stored air is used in pneumatic solutions. Not many run tankless. It is not efficient. I realize our OBA systems hardly qualify for an engineer, but it still falls under the laws of pneumatics.

Reactions: reddvltj and pagrey