Odyssey, Northstar, or DieHard...again!

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Yes that is the dual post version as indicated by the /78 suffix. I am running it's twin brother called Northstar which is even in the same battery case. https://www.batterysystems.net/northstar-nsb-agm-34-78-group-34-78-battery

Discontinued.

Ended up with a 'bad cell' according to my BatteryMinder so it's time.

Found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TCTD3Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Arrive 4/7

Next best for the Odyssey was WalMart at $385 arrive 4/12
For what it's worth I installed a NAPA Legend AGM in 2010 and it's still going strong .

Or NAPA Legend AGM 34/78 for $240 pickup Wednesday.

happy with Duracell for the short time I've owned it
dura.jpg

I don't know if it's true for all batteries, but I've seen that it is not recommended to attach a winch to the front terminals.
Definitely true for many like Optima but an Odyssey rep told me their front terminals are up to being used for winching. There's a way to still use the front posts for a winch by adding a pair of 2 gauge jumpers between the top and aux/side posts like I did on both of my previous Optima Yellow and Blue Top batteries.

BatteryJumpers.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba and NOTNSUV
Or NAPA Legend AGM 34/78 for $240 pickup Wednesday.

I could go for AGM at that price being that quality lead acid is almost that much anymore.

My LJ won't start if it sits for 10 days without a charger. I've ruled out any current drains and it's crusty around the positive terminal so it's long in the tooth and I don't trust it in the backcountry.

Not specifically what you asked for but , I just installed this one. I’ve had good luck with optima batteries in a few vehicles.

Optima yellow top here, was what I could get when I needed it, haven’t had any problems with it the 2 years I’ve had it but only time will tell.
As my broker always reminds me;
'Past performance is no guarantee of future results.'
Report back in 4-5 years.

I could go for AGM at that price being that quality lead acid is almost that much anymore.
NAPA made by Deka/East Penn (USA). Think I'll jump on this one.
Like you say, conventional L/A Interstate is $200+ (just got one for the wife's 2500).

Gotten 7+ years out of lead/acid so hopefully AGM will meet or exceed..

+1 for the Odyssey - used to run die hard exclusively until one let me down. The Odyssey glass matt has been super strong in comparison - expensive, but no looking back. Pay to Play!

Count me in that group. I had three Optima batteries in a row die premature deaths in my TJ.

@NOTNSUV the Odyssey p/n is Odyssey 34/78-PC1500DT.

I have one of these. Bought in Jan 2019. Still going strong. Before that i had a northstar. it died an early death. I think the mechanics ignored it while waiting for Chrysler to get a transmission.
finally had it towed to people that got it done. So probaby not the battery's fault.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
A year or 2 ago I got the x2 Power SLI 27AGMDPM for my Jeep, because I had been using an OEM spec battery, which wasn't really enough for the R2.8 and it's been good so far. I don't love dual purpose batteries, but it was the only single battery that Batteries Plus had that would have worked. Of course if you have AC it wouldn't fit unless you changed the orientation. For me it came down to price and simplicity. I could get 1 battery for under $400 or 2 smaller batteries for about $600 and then I'd have to stack them and mess with their orientation. I did have to make a little room inside the engine bay for the single battery, but it was very easy.

As far as posts, I do have the posts and I utilize them, but I suggest swapping to the military battery terminals and then you'll have a lot of real estate to work with and also if you're running lights and accessories, either figure out how to get into the OEM box or just add another box to keep all your relays and fuses in and then run a single line to your battery. Winch is obviously going straight to the battery. I've got an Aux battery too and it goes directly to the battery so I do have a bunch of stuff going there and yes the additional post are really handy, even with the military terminals.

I've been accumulating old diesel powered equipment and I'm a huge proponent on having more than enough battery to assist in starting and my ideal setup would be 2 high quality starting batteries and they would also be great for winching or any other high draw function too. However for most Jeeps and winching 2 dual purpose batteries are more than capable of handling that load too and with 2 batteries the winching load isn't that large. Things get tricky and IMO expensive when you try and start a dozer with the battery the size of a AA. My dad is always trying to use the smallest batteries to start equipment and then he ends up ruining that battery in months, rather than getting the right batteries and maintaining them. You can usually pro rate those batteries, but I don't really need to waste most of a day doing the exchange and having to pack around and pull and install batteries and lose that time working.

I'm not really brand picky because most of my batteries aren't really space limited so I just get relatively cheap group 31 batteries and they seem to last if maintained and I try to make sure my wiring and terminals are good and I disconnect the battery each day as well. If you are going to let your batteries sit, go ahead and make accommodations to maintain those batteries too. Also those NOCO jump starters are amazing.

A year or 2 ago I got the x2 Power SLI 27AGMDPM for my Jeep, because I had been using an OEM spec battery, which wasn't really enough for the R2.8 and it's been good so far. I don't love dual purpose batteries, but it was the only single battery that Batteries Plus had that would have worked. Of course if you have AC it wouldn't fit unless you changed the orientation. For me it came down to price and simplicity. I could get 1 battery for under $400 or 2 smaller batteries for about $600 and then I'd have to stack them and mess with their orientation. I did have to make a little room inside the engine bay for the single battery, but it was very easy.

As far as posts, I do have the posts and I utilize them, but I suggest swapping to the military battery terminals and then you'll have a lot of real estate to work with and also if you're running lights and accessories, either figure out how to get into the OEM box or just add another box to keep all your relays and fuses in and then run a single line to your battery. Winch is obviously going straight to the battery. I've got an Aux battery too and it goes directly to the battery so I do have a bunch of stuff going there and yes the additional post are really handy, even with the military terminals.

I've been accumulating old diesel powered equipment and I'm a huge proponent on having more than enough battery to assist in starting and my ideal setup would be 2 high quality starting batteries and they would also be great for winching or any other high draw function too. However for most Jeeps and winching 2 dual purpose batteries are more than capable of handling that load too and with 2 batteries the winching load isn't that large. Things get tricky and IMO expensive when you try and start a dozer with the battery the size of a AA. My dad is always trying to use the smallest batteries to start equipment and then he ends up ruining that battery in months, rather than getting the right batteries and maintaining them. You can usually pro rate those batteries, but I don't really need to waste most of a day doing the exchange and having to pack around and pull and install batteries and lose that time working.

I'm not really brand picky because most of my batteries aren't really space limited so I just get relatively cheap group 31 batteries and they seem to last if maintained and I try to make sure my wiring and terminals are good and I disconnect the battery each day as well. If you are going to let your batteries sit, go ahead and make accommodations to maintain those batteries too. Also those NOCO jump starters are amazing.

Did the same,runs my fridge while we are out,and I keep it maintained with a shumaker setup like @Jerry Bransford when it sits.I also have the noco gb70 just in case!

Reactions: BugoutJeep
As a slight aside, I actually really like using solar to maintain batteries. We don't have power at our farms so to maintain equipment I've found the cheapest and easiest method is to use ~ 100W panel(s) (I actually use (2) 50W panels so I can put them in parallel or series depending if I'm charging 24V or 12V for most I would suggest just (1) 100W panel) and fairly high quality charge controllers (PWM is great for maintaining if you've got time to wait, MPPT if you need the max) that are temp compensating and you can set for battery chemistry and I just mount the charge controller to a piece of wood and on the wood I attached magnets and to hook to the battery I use good quality alligator clips. I'd install MC4 connectors though if you don't need to be as versatile.

If you've actually got power, it's not a big deal to just plug in though and that works. However for my solar stuff, cost of a couple batteries more than outweighs the cost of my setup. Also it's so nice to just start equipment when you need to start it and not have a dead or dying battery.

Reactions: ColoJeep
As a slight aside, I actually really like using solar to maintain batteries. We don't have power at our farms so to maintain equipment I've found the cheapest and easiest method is to use ~ 100W panel(s) (I actually use (2) 50W panels so I can put them in parallel or series depending if I'm charging 24V or 12V for most I would suggest just (1) 100W panel) and fairly high quality charge controllers (PWM is great for maintaining if you've got time to wait, MPPT if you need the max) that are temp compensating and you can set for battery chemistry and I just mount the charge controller to a piece of wood and on the wood I attached magnets and to hook to the battery I use good quality alligator clips. I'd install MC4 connectors though if you don't need to be as versatile.

If you've actually got power, it's not a big deal to just plug in though and that works. However for my solar stuff, cost of a couple batteries more than outweighs the cost of my setup. Also it's so nice to just start equipment when you need to start it and not have a dead or dying battery.

Yeah I run my diesel pump off a battery and a panel... neighbors think it's hilarious I have a solar powered diesel pump filling up the tractor.

-Mac

Yeah I run my diesel pump off a battery and a panel... neighbors think it's hilarious I have a solar powered diesel pump filling up the tractor.

-Mac

Honestly using solar to pump diesel is about the best energy storage I've ever heard. I love charging batteries, but batteries just don't hold the energy as what diesel does. I'm always racking my brain to figure out useful ways to integrate solar. I like the off-grid concept and as back-up insurance/emergency use, but it's such a pain in so many ways mostly because of how inconsistent it is. Every storm where we lose power, my solar is useless and so far I've always got power on before my panels produced anything.