OEM Mopar locking gas cap?

My current 02 came with a Stant locking gas cap from the previous owner, it seems to work fine so far. I had an OEM on my 05 Sport which was keyed for the ignition key. It was great. I never forgot to put the cap back on and, after the tether gave up the ghost, I never lost the cap. This worked out for about 4 or 5 years.

Until it failed.

The issue I ran into was that the lock on the cap wouldn't let go of my key. This was a weird day besides this, and I had my spare in my day pack so the solution was easy - I left my day-to-day key in the cap and drove home. You cannot imagine my relief that I had my spare, I was at a rest stop on 476 with no way to get my spare had it been at home anyway. Later I was able to get the key out with lots of patience and no tools, but it wouldn't lock into the filler, it just would spin the ratcheting part of the cap and a slight counterclockwise turn popped it out. Anyway I just went to the local Jeep dealer and bought a non-locking cap and tossed the OEM locker. It didn't throw a CEL, but I wasn't playing around with it either.

While I would love to eliminate a key from the ring, my close call keeps me from jumping on another ignition locker cap. YMMV, I am sure my story is at the far edge of extremes.

My current 02 came with a Stant locking gas cap from the previous owner, it seems to work fine so far. I had an OEM on my 05 Sport which was keyed for the ignition key. It was great. I never forgot to put the cap back on and, after the tether gave up the ghost, I never lost the cap. This worked out for about 4 or 5 years.

Until it failed.

The issue I ran into was that the lock on the cap wouldn't let go of my key. This was a weird day besides this, and I had my spare in my day pack so the solution was easy - I left my day-to-day key in the cap and drove home. You cannot imagine my relief that I had my spare, I was at a rest stop on 476 with no way to get my spare had it been at home anyway. Later I was able to get the key out with lots of patience and no tools, but it wouldn't lock into the filler, it just would spin the ratcheting part of the cap and a slight counterclockwise turn popped it out. Anyway I just went to the local Jeep dealer and bought a non-locking cap and tossed the OEM locker. It didn't throw a CEL, but I wasn't playing around with it either.

While I would love to eliminate a key from the ring, my close call keeps me from jumping on another ignition locker cap. YMMV, I am sure my story is at the far edge of extremes.
Thanks for the info, Ill be sure to keep my spare with me.

I would hope this issue you had isn't a common one, as this is the first I am hearing about it. But could definitely see this happening.

Reactions: Echo5
Thanks for the info, Ill be sure to keep my spare with me.

I would hope this issue you had isn't a common one, as this is the first I am hearing about it. But could definitely see this happening.
I think my situation was outside the norm for failures and wouldn’t expect it to happen again. Except to me. Lol

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Echo5,

I did something similar. I just picked up a 05 LJ about a month ago, and it came with a locking gas cap. I don't know what brand, but it had a separate key that looks completely different from the ignition key.

I had a bad experience with a locking gas cap years ago, so I replaced mine with a non locking cap I picked up at the local auto parts store.

Just wanted to post an update here. I ordered my locking gas cap from eBay, from a Jeep dealership in Arizona (Airpark Dodge Chrysler Jeep from Scottsdale, AZ). I paid $42.90 + $5 shipping. I got a OEM Mopar part, and the best part, they asked for my VIN#, cut a key for me free of charge that works with the lock cylinder (key also opens my doors and starts the Jeep). The cap and key arrived in 2 days and there are no codes whatsoever. Got a official receipt with a hassle free 30 day return from the dealership if there are any problems. Can't have had this any better. I'll rest easy now that I can lock my gas tank.

For those who are looking for the same, here is what I bought (01-06 only).

@Chris , weren't you looking for one at some point as well?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=163252335737

Many thanks to @Fouledplugs and @L J for helping me out.

Question, did yours come with the "collar" which then attaches to the vehicle? I need a replacement just that part so trying to find it separate, not clue what it's called

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Question, did yours come with the "collar" which then attaches to the vehicle? I need a replacement just that part so trying to find it separate, not clue what it's called

Yes, it came with it. it's just a press fit to the body of the Jeep.

You asking about the part on the right with the loop, correct? If yes, I think you should be get that in an auto parts store. If not, let me know, I'll send it from my old gas cap, I still have it somewhere.

s-l400 (2).jpg

Yes, it came with it. it's just a press fit to the body of the Jeep.

You asking about the part on the right with the loop, correct? If yes, I think you should be get that in an auto parts store. If not, let me know, I'll send it from my old gas cap, I still have it somewhere.

View attachment 96225

Yep! Mine broke, I'll have to look around and see if I can get one