Off-roading a manual

gaabbee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I came across this link on this forum...

https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/common-sense-off-road-driving/files/inc/cca77024ba.pdf
Since we all have a lot of time I was reading and got to the point of using the starter to start and stop moving the truck. Uhhh does everyone drive like this off road or am I crazy? Says no clutch, feet on the floor, in gear, only use the starter to start and stop moving.

I guess the idea is that a starter motor is 100x easier and cheaper to replace then a clutch. Just want to hear how you guys drive and if you've heard/tried this method before.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
It's not that it's easier to replace - it's that you can start and stop with very little risk of rolling backwards. Imagine you skid a bit and find yourself barely hanging a tire over an edge. If you roll back, you're in for a lot of unintended motion. But if you use the starter, you can make forward progress with little risk of rolling back.

In addition, you should not disengage the clutch when the clutch assembly is underwater or under mud. It will damage the clutch material and lead to premature failure. So if you're crossing a deep stream or bog and stall, you're better off starting in gear than depressing the clutch.

TJs are made to do this. Most manual TJs come with a clutch interlock bypass. Simply stick a fuse in the slot and you can start in gear. Manual Rubicons automatically allow you to start in gear if you're in 4-Low.

It's not that it's easier to replace - it's that you can start and stop with very little risk of rolling backwards. Imagine you skid a bit and find yourself barely hanging a tire over an edge. If you roll back, you're in for a lot of unintended motion. But if you use the starter, you can make forward progress with little risk of rolling back.

In addition, you should not disengage the clutch when the clutch assembly is underwater or under mud. It will damage the clutch material and lead to premature failure. So if you're crossing a deep stream or bog and stall, you're better off starting in gear than depressing the clutch.

TJs are made to do this. Most manual TJs come with a clutch interlock bypass. Simply stick a fuse in the slot and you can start in gear. Manual Rubicons automatically allow you to start in gear if you're in 4-Low.
I knew most of the benefits of doing this I was just surprised about them saying to drive like that all the time off road. I know my last cj-7 was able to be started all the time and even in neutral without using the clutch and I tried it on my LJR but wasn't in 4L or gear so that's good to know. Thanks!

I knew most of the benefits of doing this I was just surprised about them saying to drive like that all the time off road. I know my last cj-7 was able to be started all the time and even in neutral without using the clutch and I tried it on my LJR but wasn't in 4L or gear so that's good to know. Thanks!
Yeah I wouldn't do it "all the time", but certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it when needed.

Another common solution you'll see often is a hand throttle. It's essentially a secondary gas pedal (actually a bicycle shifter) mounted to the shifter that allows you to control the throttle with your hand. Instead of doing the three-pedal mash, you can easily raise RPMs with your hand while holding onto the brakes and releasing the clutch. Gives you a lot more control than the three-pedal mash.

The clutch bypass can lead to some certain situations if you're not careful. I had it in 4low in my garage for some work and forgot to press the clutch to start it. Nearly drove through a cinder block wall. That's also when I learned that the brakes aren't strong enough to stall an engine in 1st and 4low... Fortunately I remembered I was an idiot and depressed the clutch just in time.

Some people who use the starter technique often will often upgrade to a high torque starter. PowerMaster makes one. I think Mean Green does as well. (The Powermaster seems to be more common.) If you intend to use it often, a high quality AGM battery is highly recommended.

Yeah I wouldn't do it "all the time", but certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it when needed.

Another common solution you'll see often is a hand throttle. It's essentially a secondary gas pedal (actually a bicycle shifter) mounted to the shifter that allows you to control the throttle with your hand. Instead of doing the three-pedal mash, you can easily raise RPMs with your hand while holding onto the brakes and releasing the clutch. Gives you a lot more control than the three-pedal mash.

The clutch bypass can lead to some certain situations if you're not careful. I had it in 4low in my garage for some work and forgot to press the clutch to start it. Nearly drove through a cinder block wall. That's also when I learned that the brakes aren't strong enough to stall an engine in 1st and 4low... Fortunately I remembered I was an idiot and depressed the clutch just in time.

Some people who use the starter technique often will often upgrade to a high torque starter. PowerMaster makes one. I think Mean Green does as well. (The Powermaster seems to be more common.) If you intend to use it often, a high quality AGM battery is highly recommended.
Funny, I actually did do this once in my cj...destroyed a file cabinet I had in my garage. Lucky enough hit the clutch and brake and didn't damage the wall, so im glad the LJ has more safety in mind haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Steel City 06
Learn something new everyday....
X2. I did not know this.

I use a handthrottle. It seemed confusing to use at first (at least to me) but once you start playing with the handthrottle and only using the clutch/brake with your feet it immediately clicks. I have mine set where one click up on the handthrottle starts increasing the RPMs

hand throttle.JPG

This manual has some great information but it's important to know that it's a sponsored book. Some sections may have been heavily influenced by the sponsor to help salesmen sell to an inexperienced customer. Considering the limited situations that this technique is even possible in a stock Jeep it might be an example of this. The section on tires might also have some sponsor influence.

Reactions: Steel City 06
X2. I did not know this.

I use a handthrottle. It seemed confusing to use at first (at least to me) but once you start playing with the handthrottle and only using the clutch/brake with your feet it immediately clicks. I have mine set where one click up on the handthrottle starts increasing the RPMs

View attachment 150867

That is the exact setup I installed in my '98 XJ 4.0L which I used on quite a few occasions including the obstacle called "Hells Gate" on the Hells Revenge trail.
How did you attach the cable to the TB linkage ?
I drilled and tapped a hole in the throttle arm to install another pivot point.

That is the exact setup I installed in my '98 XJ 4.0L which I used on quite a few occasions including the obstacle called "Hells Gate" on the Hells Revenge trail.
How did you attach the cable to the TB linkage ?
I drilled and tapped a hole in the throttle arm to install another pivot point.

I put a large washer on the throttle linkage with a retaining clip I found in the garage. Has held for two years now.

hand throttle1.JPG

Reactions: CharlesHS
Up until I did my V-8 swap in my TJ I had never owned a automatic 4x4 and have been using the starter when off-road for years. Yes I can be hard on the starter but as others pointed out it's better than having the rig rollback or forward in a situation where you don't want it to. When you are in low range the Jeep should be moving so slow your starter can move the vehicle up just about any obstacle. I would hardly ever touch my clutch once I was on a trail. The only reason I went to a automatic was due to a leg injury.

I've played with the starter trick just to see it work, but I've never used it for anything.

Reactions: JMT
I never knew that my rubicon would start without the clutch in 4-Low. Gonna have to try it now. I've never felt the need to use my starter without the clutch though...but it does make sense in certain areas. I have a very good feel for where my clutch starts to engage, so I can start on a hill without rolling back. I'll file this tip away though, and save it for later.

I pulled the fuse for the clutch start a few years back. I've only screwed up unintentionally starting in gear once but I've used it 0 times off-road.

I find I can usually hold the Jeep on a hill by using the clutch to barely stay still and not stall. That gives me time to move my right foot to the accelerator and take off.

Reactions: tworley
I've played with the starter trick just to see it work, but I've never used it for anything.

Give it a go next time you're out in the woods playin. I found I had better control using the starter to get moving.

I pulled the fuse for the clutch start a few years back. I've only screwed up unintentionally starting in gear once but I've used it 0 times off-road.

I find I can usually hold the Jeep on a hill by using the clutch to barely stay still and not stall. That gives me time to move my right foot to the accelerator and take off.

Yes 3 footen it works for a lot of situations but not all of them. I would say it depends on where you are wheeling at and the type of trails you run. Just for grins and giggles on one trail run just try it out.

My ex almost put her bumper on her Scout thru my face once becasue she would forget to push in the clutch. I installed a safety switch on her rig after that. My Nissan pickup had a override button on the dash to bypass the clutch.