Official Formula 1 thread

Masi is a supposed to be a professional.

His actions over the past few races do not support this. How he could think manipulating the track position to allow the lapped cars between Max and Lewis, placing the Red Bull with fresh softs right behind the Merc on 39 lap old tires would make it a fair shoot out is beyond me.. but it's easy for me to criticize. Totally unfair for Hamilton/Mercedes. Masi stole the championship from Lewis and handed it to Max.

I still think the only fair move was red flag the race, Allow everyone a tire change and send them out for five laps in the order they went in. He could have used his over-ride authority to dismiss any rules that impeded a restart that deep into a race. Lewis would have forfeited the eleven second lead.. that's fair. Let Max work his magic on the lapped cars and with any time remaining take a shot at Lewis on fresh tires... that's fair.

Yeah.. Read and abide by rules one thru one thousand. Rule one thousand and one.. ignore rules the prior one thousand rules.

I am still heartbroken for Lewis. I have followed him since 2005. I have never seen him be anything less than an inspiration and a gentleman. He was totally molested out of the championship and remained a gentleman. Max, on the other hand, walks off the podium at Saudi Arabi like a little bitch. He a massively talented driver, but has the maturity and sportsmanship of a third grader.

The really sad part... Between the publicity of the fight between Max & Lewis, and Netflix, F1 surely gained countless new fans this year. The events at Abu Dhabi made an already confusing sport even harder to understand, and the kangaroo court antics makes F1 seem like a circus show more than a sport. Many of those new fans were likely lost.

Last edited:
Nice bit from BBC website article…

“…The subject is controversial, so senior figures have not been prepared to speak on the record in the immediate aftermath of the race.

But a number have told BBC Sport that at least half the F1 teams have lost confidence in race director Michael Masi, and that many of the drivers have concerns as well…”

And maybe this is one of the reasons for that loss in confidence.

“…In 2020, there was a safety-car period during the Eifel Grand Prix at the Nurburgring. Both Hamilton and Verstappen complained it had been unnecessarily long.

Masi was asked about this after the race. He said: "There's a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars past."

So, he seems to have changed his mind on the meaning of the relevant rule over the last year - he followed one course of action with regards to lapped cars in Germany last year, and another in Abu Dhabi.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59643988

Reactions: Ocho and MikekiM
Lewis Hamilton has received a knighthood.
I believe that he earned his title by being a true sportsman, congratulating others for their achievements, always putting team first and generally being a good egg.

Unlike a certain Dutch child who drives like a German, to win at all costs, and ...... well I could go on and on.

CONGRATULATIONS SIR LEWIS 🇬🇧

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...at-windsor-castle.5tY9cYG8dFe6nqLsYD1YQ4.html

Last edited:
Lewis Hamilton has received a knighthood.
I believe that he earned his title by being a true sportsman, congratulating others for their achievements, always putting team first and generally being a good egg.

Unlike a certain Dutch child who drives like a German, to win at all costs, and ...... well I could go on and on.

CONGRATULATIONS SIR LEWIS 🇬🇧

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...at-windsor-castle.5tY9cYG8dFe6nqLsYD1YQ4.html
He seems like a good dude. From what I've read he didn't come from anything - his dad worked more than one job & took a bunch of loans to support his early racing career. He supports his disabled brother's iRacing career (might be a different program, not sure), and he's generally been a good sport when he loses. I'm not a personal fan of his BLM activism, but that's a footnote as far as I'm concerned. I think he's great for the sport.

Max is an incredible driver, but fits the cookie cutter definition of a lot of racers at that level. Came from a racing family, had sponsorships & connections early on to get on the escalator and into the upper echelons of motorsport. That being said, there are plenty of others who share that background & would get circles driven around them by Max.

He seems like a good dude. From what I've read he didn't come from anything - his dad worked more than one job & took a bunch of loans to support his early racing career. He supports his disabled brother's iRacing career (might be a different program, not sure), and he's generally been a good sport when he loses. I'm not a personal fan of his BLM activism, but that's a footnote as far as I'm concerned. I think he's great for the sport.

Max is an incredible driver, but fits the cookie cutter definition of a lot of racers at that level. Came from a racing family, had sponsorships & connections early on to get on the escalator and into the upper echelons of motorsport. That being said, there are plenty of others who share that background & would get circles driven around them by Max.
I have always liked that about Lewis. He also seems very genuine about using his platform to be a role model for younger kids. Especially in the last few seasons. He normally races pretty clean too. People always say it's just his car but he has consistently beaten his teammates with the exception of Roseberg in 16.

I have always liked that about Lewis. He also seems very genuine about using his platform to be a role model for younger kids. Especially in the last few seasons. He normally races pretty clean too. People always say it's just his car but he has consistently beaten his teammates with the exception of Roseberg in 16.
He's certainly a better driver than his teammates, but if you think the other car gets the same upgrades at the same time, I have a bridge to sell you.

And I'm willing to bet it's a lot the car. Just look at Russell last year if Merc hadn't fucked him over.

Hamilton was picked up by the McLaren young driver programme age 11 IIRC, so he did get huge support from a young age. In his first few years in F1 I disliked him, as he seemed to have a real sense of entitlement, but he has matured a lot since then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59675264
"Formula 1's governing body says the controversial Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is "tarnishing the image" of the sport.

The FIA will conduct a "detailed analysis and clarification exercise" into the running of Sunday's race, with all the teams and drivers, "to draw any lessons from the situation".
It is an effective admission of mistakes in the running of the race that decided the world championship.

Race director Michael Masi's actions are at the centre of the controversy..."

Bye, bye Michael.

He's certainly a better driver than his teammates, but if you think the other car gets the same upgrades at the same time, I have a bridge to sell you.

And I'm willing to bet it's a lot the car. Just look at Russell last year if Merc hadn't fucked him over.
https://racingnews365.com/lewis-hamiltons-teammates-ranked-from-worst-to-best
The fastest car doesn't always win case in point the last race we all just watched. Russell has been a Mercedes test driver for some time now. I don't think that race showed how good the car was anymore than it showed how good Russell can be with proper equipment.

It's not all the car when looking back at how he stacked up against his teammates. Especially as a new team member with Alonso in the McLaren. Nico was already in a merc when Lewis got there and was beaten by Lewis except for 2016. They were close except for 2015. That was when Mercedes claimed they had no 1st or 2nd driver. He has been in one of the fastest car for a while now and probably Mercedes 1st driver since Bottas came on board even though they don't often admit it. He has consistently shown the skill to preserve tires, make things happen when the red bull or Ferrari were faster at certainly tracks and won when Mercedes wasn't the fastest car during the weekend.

It takes a fast and consistent driver to win, even if the car is the fastest on the grid.

Reactions: MikekiM
I don't tgink Stroll comes from a racing background, he just has a billionaire for a dad. As do two other F1 drivers, but neither of their dads have bought a team so they keep their seats... yet.

I read an article about Lance and his path to F1 a while ago. Lawrence was not a famous racer, but he does own Circuit Mont-Treblanc. The piece talked about the open checkbook and the different cars at his disposal. He had a drivers coach at age 4 and all the best equipment. I doubt anyone had a better opportunity than Lance.

Reactions: UKTJ
Mazespin somehow finished 21st in a 20 driver lineup.
That guy has no right to have a drive, it is an embarrassment for F1. I don’t care how badly teams need the money.

There were always a number of drivers who got their break due to funding, Perez being one. But in the past it was usually somebody backing a talented driver, often as a national champion. If you want somebody from your country in F1 you have a larger talent pool to fish in compared to wanting one of your kids!

I read an article about Lance and his path to F1 a while ago. Lawrence was not a famous racer, but he does own Circuit Mont-Treblanc. The piece talked about the open checkbook and the different cars at his disposal. He had a drivers coach at age 4 and all the best equipment. I doubt anyone had a better opportunity than Lance.

He had it for sale a while back. It's a great track and hosted the Canadian GP and CanAm races back in the 60s & 70s. I haven't been to it since the improvements Stroll made but a video I saw of it showed that he did with maintaining the spirit of the original track but making it much safer.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/04/11/stroll-puts-his-canadian-circuit-up-for-sale/
EDIT - I spoke too soon. He took it off the market.

https://racer.com/2021/05/07/stroll-takes-mont-tremblant-circuit-off-the-market/