Official Formula 1 thread

So happy to see Haas making a strong showing. Gunther might curse a little less this season.

Time and time again I am reminded that it ain't over until it over. No way I expected Lewis to be on the podium.

Overall, this first race is great for a season opener. That said.. I hate the 18" wheels. REALLY hate the hub caps.
the 18" wheels look absolutely sick with the covers off. I agree though that the hub caps are the worst part of the new cars

True.. the pre-race tire lineup shows them without the covers on them and they look far better. Although, I am still partial to the old school 13's.

If you've seen the most recent NASCAR wheels.. looks like the F1 wheels migrated over to NASCAR and the NASCAR wheels landed at F1. The center hubs were 'a thing' on F1 a few years ago before being banned. For the good if you ask me. I just don't like the looks.

Not 100% sure on this, but the added weight of the 18's are a contributor to the slower pit stop times. Haven't seen 3-4 seconds times as a norm in a long, long time. Even RB was struggling to get times down around 2 seconds.

Good to see most of the teams have got their porpoising under control. Personally, I think it was a bit of an over reaction. 😊

I've been acting like a grumpy old man in my group chat with fellow f1 friends about this all morning. The track layout looks uninspired at best with the only saving grace being the really long fast straights. I'd much rather see a real, already existing, race track get some grade 1 upgrades and host the race. If they can race at the shit for safety track that is Jeddah they can manage for a weekend at somewhere like Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Daytona (I'd love to see this), Laguna Seca, etc where there is a natural flow to the course

I've been acting like a grumpy old man in my group chat with fellow f1 friends about this all morning. The track layout looks uninspired at best with the only saving grace being the really long fast straights. I'd much rather see a real, already existing, race track get some grade 1 upgrades and host the race. If they can race at the shit for safety track that is Jeddah they can manage for a weekend at somewhere like Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Daytona (I'd love to see this), Laguna Seca, etc where there is a natural flow to the course
I was unimpressed with the course too although it'd be fun to watch at a hotel overlooking the strip.

I agree with this but with regard to existing tracks, it's no longer about the tracks but sadly the hotels, restaurants, event space, transit, etc. I feel lucky to have attended F1 races at Watkins Glen, Mosport and St. Jovite in the late 60s and 70s. All were great tracks for their day and have seen many improvements since then. They probably could become first class tracks by current standards but without the other infrastructure it's not going to happen.

The first time I went to the Glen I spent hours in a traffic jam in the dark trying to get into the track. We set up our camp and woke up the next day a bit too close to the "bog" - not good. The surrounding roads are better now, as are the ones around Mosport but they would still be a problem. Drivers of the day said that Mosport was one of the top courses they raced on. I still go one or two times a year and am seeing lesser classification cars with faster lap times. I've seen many F1 cars at vintage races at both Mosport and the Glen and would love to see even one current car take a few laps.

I think a night race on the strip would look amazing but the track layout does look kind of lame. It's also about selling tickets and driving more interest from the US to the sport I think is why they are doing it.

Is Watkins too narrow for f1 and would need barrier improvements maybe? But that would be a lot cheaper and easier than developing a street circuit.

If t
I think a night race on the strip would look amazing but the track layout does look kind of lame. It's also about selling tickets and driving more interest from the US to the sport I think is why they are doing it.

Is Watkins too narrow for f1 and would need barrier improvements maybe? But that would be a lot cheaper and easier than developing a street circuit.
If that was a problem, we wouldn't see races at Monaco, Baku, or Saudi Arabia, among others...

If t

If that was a problem, we wouldn't see races at Monaco, Baku, or Saudi Arabia, among others...
Some of those narrow tracks are boring as hell races with qualifying being the only exiting part of the weekend. Especially Monaco.

I agree Daytona, Glen, laguna or even Sonoma would be cool to see.

2022-03-31_15-55-29.jpg

Track layout vs the old Ceasars palace race layout. Courtesy of reddit formal 1 page. I rotated it because it looks like a giant pig 😆. Maybe they did that because its an American race in Vegas which kinda fits 😄

Reactions: Shropshirewrangler
This just came across my Facebook feed today ...

Trust Me, You Don't Want Formula One To Return To Your Favorite Classic Venues

I know you'd prefer Watkins Glen to Las Vegas, but it's not happening.

https://jalopnik.com/trust-me-you-dont-want-formula-one-to-return-to-your-f-1848731222
I saw that and it makes some good points. I think Vegas will be cool at night.

The logistics involved in f1 these days another problem. When they say they are a traveling circus they mean it!

I agree. But are you surprised it will be in Vegas? With all the fake news and twisted angles on the stories be presented by DTS, the fan base has bloomed. Leave it to Vegas to want to capitalize on it.

We just booked Austin. Tickets were going fast. Miami was priced beyond reason so we passed on that and Canada, though only a kinda short drive was also priced out. Two of my mates who were dead in for Austin, bailed and said they would rather put the $$ towards Vegas next year. I think that was a mistake.
Me too. I'm also not a fan of the night races.
I love the night races for a change of pace. I don't think I would want to drive one though.
The reason for crappy tracks is money buys those races. FIA is in it for the money. I would be very surprised if there isn't money passed under the table.
Exactly this ^^^^
I saw that and it makes some good points. I think Vegas will be cool at night.

The logistics involved in f1 these days another problem. When they say they are a traveling circus they mean it!

I watched that a while back. I had no idea each team had so many complete kits. Makes sense after seeing the details.