Oh how I love my TJ...

Just some thoughts after driving my TJ today in this exceptionally nice and sunny weather...

It brakes like a barge coming down the Mississippi, it gets the crappiest gas mileage imaginable, and it could definitely have more in the power department.

Despite all it's short comings, it simply doesn't matter, because nothing makes me smile like driving my TJ.

I've owned M3s, M5s, and all sorts of other fun, fast cars. But getting in my TJ and driving slow, taking my time, and just putting around... it's more exciting than any "fast" car.

It's like all of the TJs flaws just make you love it even more. They give it real character!
Yeaaaaaaaa Buddy!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Chris
Having driven my TJ everyday since I bought it brand new in 2005, I can't imagine NOT having a TJ to drive. I still remember Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealerships full of TJ's for sale.

I have several memories and experience's involving my TJ.

X2 on this. I never understood the appeal of a Wrangler until I drove one. Even though I love driving my GTI, I always catch myself preferring to drive my Wrangler when I can justify it...I'm currently trying to do so on a roadtrip up to Maine. The air B&b we're looking at said "4X4 required to access, especially in Winter" haha. Good enough for me!

Just some thoughts after driving my TJ today in this exceptionally nice and sunny weather...

It brakes like a barge coming down the Mississippi, it gets the crappiest gas mileage imaginable, and it could definitely have more in the power department.

Despite all it's short comings, it simply doesn't matter, because nothing makes me smile like driving my TJ.

I've owned M3s, M5s, and all sorts of other fun, fast cars. But getting in my TJ and driving slow, taking my time, and just putting around... it's more exciting than any "fast" car.

It's like all of the TJs flaws just make you love it even more. They give it real character!

Gotta chuckle out of you owning M3's and 5's. My daily is an S5. lol I like it on trips and such and hoping my Jeep is a perfect complement. I chuckled because I am also following your lift style. Hope to have the same feeling when I get to drive my jeep. Things are going very slowly on the Jeep end.

Reactions: Chris
Gotta chuckle out of you owning M3's and 5's. My daily is an S5. lol I like it on trips and such and hoping my Jeep is a perfect complement. I chuckled because I am also following your lift style. Hope to have the same feeling when I get to drive my jeep. Things are going very slowly on the Jeep end.

Oh yeah, I left German engineering behind years ago. The parts are too expensive, the cars are over engineered, and they’re almost impossible to work on yourself. That actually might not be a big deal for most, but I’m a DIY mechanic, so I got tired of it. The TJ is about as simple as they come these days, and it’s so much fun to drive without even going fast. I find myself purposely going slow!

Oh yeah, I left German engineering behind years ago. The parts are too expensive, the cars are over engineered, and they’re almost impossible to work on yourself. That actually might not be a big deal for most, but I’m a DIY mechanic, so I got tired of it. The TJ is about as simple as they come these days, and it’s so much fun to drive without even going fast. I find myself purposely going slow!

Chris, I agree somewhat! I find it therapeutic to work on my TJ as it takes me back to the days of working on my Mk2 GLi. However, I do love my German Sedan! Modifying it is almost as exciting, although I can't work on it myself as easily as the TJ. See the TJ with its stable mate hibernating:

IMG_3355.JPG

Here is a better pic:

IMG_2347.JPG

Chris, I agree somewhat! I find it therapeutic to work on my TJ as it takes me back to the days of working on my Mk2 GLi. However, I do love my German Sedan! Modifying it is almost as exciting, although I can't work on it myself as easily as the TJ. See the TJ with its stable mate hibernating:

View attachment 31506

Here is a better pic:

View attachment 31507
Same, while I love my tj, there's nothing quite like ripping around coners hearing/feeling that turbo spool with the sports tuned suspension and refinement of my VW GTI; which is partially why I don't really worry about the rough ride my TJ's rough country lift gives me. If I want a smooth comfortable ride, I just jump in my v-dub. Even though it's a PITA to work on, I love me some euro engineering.
170eb8f1fccf8a51e6dc29bf3e723353.jpg
f5e2cede0ec065967bd4412a2eddbb29.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac and BayTJ
This is an interesting thread. Are we extremists? Having a high powered German car that is super fast and a Jeep TJ? What I find odd is I am looking forward to driving my TJ more than my S5 for some odd reason. My S5 drives itself and does everything so well that it is sort of boring and to push the S5 to its limits could certainly lead to jail time as going 140 mph is ho-hum for it. Now driving a TJ takes me back to 1970 in comparison. I find that more exciting and fun for some reason. I just can't wait to get it on the road. Love all the German cars as complements to our TJ's. Hilarious.

I just love how basic the TJ is. No bells and whistle, no frills, no nonsense!

Reactions: BayTJ