OME 2.5" lift bump stops?

... there's no bolt on aftermarket adjustable track bar on the market that can be used without adding a minimum of 1.75" bumpstop extension, that track bar is rough country forged 0-3.5"
Is this regarding the front or rear track bar?
I assume it’s front since the rest of the paragraph was on front specs.

Do rear aftermarket bars change spacer requirements?

14.5" collapsed front shocks match 1", 15.5" collapsed front shock length matches a 2" bumpstop extension and clears a 33" tire under stock fenders. The stock flares will still rub tires.

Ultimately, it's best to cycle the suspension for other clearance issues such as track bars, steering, exhaust, driveshaft and those with short arm links stretched out longer than 16", but there's no mystery to what shock length or tire size needs which bumpstop amounts, they are all the same. A body lift and highline fenders can compensate for bumpstops where tire size alone is a concern.
How are you measuring your front shocks when you say 15.5" fit with 2" of bumpstop? I recently purchased long travel OME which OME specs say measure 15.5". However, that measurement does not included the rubber bushings needed on top of the stem. When you add in the bushing and measure the distance from the center of the top 2 bushings to the center of the bar pin on the bottom, you will end up with a 16.5" shock. So even though I have 2" of bumpstop and the space between my shock mounts measures 15.5" I found a 15.5" shock will not fit. Because they actually measure an inch taller than specs. Apparently shock manufactureres measure to the base of the stem and not to the actual mounting point between the 2 bushings. Please let me know if I am missing something.

Also, as I'm sure you know, I have also found that the rear shock length can vary by a lot depending on how much the pinion is tipped up and if a CV driveshaft is used. Tipping up the pinion with a CV driveshaft will effectively provided room for a longer shock. On my LJ, since I maintained the factory 2 joint drive shaft, I actually tipped the pinion down so that it is level with the transfer case output shaft. Doing this I actually lost room for my rear shock and need something with smaller compression dimensions. Which is a challenge to find. Let me know if I am missunderstanding anything.

How are you measuring your front shocks when you say 15.5" fit with 2" of bumpstop? I recently purchased long travel OME which OME specs say measure 15.5". However, that measurement does not included the rubber bushings needed on top of the stem. When you add in the bushing and measure the distance from the center of the top 2 bushings to the center of the bar pin on the bottom, you will end up with a 16.5" shock. So even though I have 2" of bumpstop and the space between my shock mounts measures 15.5" I found a 15.5" shock will not fit. Because they actually measure an inch taller than specs. Apparently shock manufactureres measure to the base of the stem and not to the actual mounting point between the 2 bushings. Please let me know if I am missing something.

Also, as I'm sure you know, I have also found that the rear shock length can vary by a lot depending on how much the pinion is tipped up and if a CV driveshaft is used. Tipping up the pinion with a CV driveshaft will effectively provided room for a longer shock. On my LJ, since I maintained the factory 2 joint drive shaft, I actually tipped the pinion down so that it is level with the transfer case output shaft. Doing this I actually lost room for my rear shock and need something with smaller compression dimensions. Which is a challenge to find. Let me know if I am missunderstanding anything.

Manufacturer specifications

Rear do vary a little on stock mounts and alot with shock shifters. Pinion angle is at ride height and measurements on a 2" bumpstop extension.

20210617_200257.jpg

20210617_200238.jpg

Screenshot_20210617-200439_AngleMeterPRO.jpg

Thank you Dave.

How much bumpstop do you typically find you need up front for a 15.5" compressed shock like the OME long travel 60047L. I recently ordered the 60047L because I thought I could get away with 2" bumpstop, but after I received the shock and measured it with the rubber bushing/isolators required for installation, I realized I would need close to a 3" bumpstop for that shock. How much bumpstop do you typically see up front on something like that? Do I need to account for the rubber bushing/isolator on the shock since the mfg does not include them in their measurments?

Thank you Dave.

How much bumpstop do you typically find you need up front for a 15.5" compressed shock like the OME long travel 60047L. I recently ordered the 60047L because I thought I could get away with 2" bumpstop, but after I received the shock and measured it with the rubber bushing/isolators required for installation, I realized I would need close to a 3" bumpstop for that shock. How much bumpstop do you typically see up front on something like that? Do I need to account for the rubber bushing/isolator on the shock since the mfg does not include them in their measurments?
15.5", manufacture's measurements, without the bushing included closely match a 2" bump stop extension. disregard the bushing unless it's abnormally thick as some of the fox can be. they do compress some under a shock load. theres a good 1/2" of rubber that can compress between the uppers and lowers. good bar pins like the ome and bilstien 5100 shocks have can handle a good load. I think rough country has pretty will proven what the shocks can take since they tend to rip off the mounts instead of bust the shocks.

Thank you very much. That answers my question about the front shock bushings. I didn't know they would compress so I added them to the shock length. Unfortunately I already sent back the OME because I was concerned about the length. But knowing this will open up more shock options in the future. I just didn't want to risk damaging my new shock by over compressing it.

Thank you very much. That answers my question about the front shock bushings. I didn't know they would compress so I added them to the shock length. Unfortunately I already sent back the OME because I was concerned about the length. But knowing this will open up more shock options in the future. I just didn't want to risk damaging my new shock by over compressing it.
I've always gone by the manufacture length to avoid my own confusion, I'm sure I've got pictures specific to short and long arm 3 link and radius arms for reference I can dig up if necessary.
I'll have the front of a full traction long arm torn down later today I'm converting to a 3 link.

I'd love to see a picture of how much shock is left of a 15.5" collapsed shock on 2" bumpstop if you come across one or do one in the future. Setting up my Jeep is just didn't seem like it would fit. Thanks.

That is a good picture of the space you have between mounts. I took measurments on my Jeep from that same location and I had 15 5/8" on my Rubicon with 2 hockey pucks. So you have a little more room than me. But my concern was how much do the rubber bushings in the shocks compress when you torque them down. Can you find a way to hold a shock in compression and mount the top mount first. Then see how much travel is left?

For example. When I measured the OME 60047L they had a compressed length of 16.5" when measured from the center of mounting bushings to center of bar pin. For sure that top bushing will compress some when you tighten it down. But the shock bushing on the underside of the mount would have to compress 1/2" on that Jeep you are measuring to fit without bottoming out. They would never fit on my Jeep with 15 5/8". Which is frustrating since OME says the shock compresses to 15.4".

In short what I am seeing, is that a front shock that claims a compressed length of 16" would not fit on that Jeep you are working on because the bushings are not included in the mfg measurments. Or am I still missing something. I'd like to see a picture of a fully compress shock in that space. Just to see if their is any shaft showing.

I know you like Bilstein, as do I. If you installed a 24-188180 which has a compressed length of 14.98 I'll bet it fills in about 15 1/2" of that space.

EDIT: On a related note. How much do you tighten down that top bolt on the front shock? Do you tighten until you run out of thread or do you just tighten until the bushings look like they are squished really well. Maybe I am not cranking down enough on that top bolt.

Last edited:
This may be totally non-helpful, but here is a 14.43" compressed Rancho with 1.75" bumpstop extension.
20200307_132541.jpg

There is about 0.25" of shock shaft left.

That is a good picture of the space you have between mounts. I took measurments on my Jeep from that same location and I had 15 5/8" on my Rubicon with 2 hockey pucks. So you have a little more room than me. But my concern was how much do the rubber bushings in the shocks compress when you torque them down. Can you find a way to hold a shock in compression and mount the top mount first. Then see how much travel is left?

For example. When I measured the OME 60047L they had a compressed length of 16.5" when measured from the center of mounting bushings to center of bar pin. For sure that top bushing will compress some when you tighten it down. But the shock bushing on the underside of the mount would have to compress 1/2" on that Jeep you are measuring to fit without bottoming out. They would never fit on my Jeep with 15 5/8". Which is frustrating since OME says the shock compresses to 15.4".

In short what I am seeing, is that a front shock that claims a compressed length of 16" would not fit on that Jeep you are working on because the bushings are not included in the mfg measurments. Or am I still missing something. I'd like to see a picture of a fully compress shock in that space. Just to see if their is any shaft showing.

I know you like Bilstein, as do I. If you installed a 24-188180 which has a compressed length of 14.98 I'll bet it fills in about 15 1/2" of that space.

EDIT: On a related note. How much do you tighten down that top bolt on the front shock? Do you tighten until you run out of thread or do you just tighten until the bushings look like they are squished really well. Maybe I am not cranking down enough on that top bolt.
that is exactly 16.5" metal to metal. 15.5" advertised is a perfect match for 2" bumpstop extension. the rubber shock bushings will also compress under a load. the stem gets tightened up until the rubber starts to bulge a little which will be under 1" of additional collapsed length.

Yeah, I see 16.5" now. I looked wrong before. So I agree, when you take into account the rubber bushing that is perfect for 15.5" shock. That jives with what I was seeing. Now can I ask you to measure that bumpstop. Is that only 2" bumpstop? I have 2" of hockey pucks on mine (plus 3/8 steel plate standard on Rubicons) and mine only measured 15 5/8 metal to metal. So now I'm really confused why mine measured so much shorter.

Last edited: