OME 2" lift with heavy duty springs rides harsh

Assuming the OME Sport Nitros have same specs as the gen 1 Nitros, the Ranchos listed for 2.5" of lift run longer.

RS55239:
  • Compressed Length: 14.430
  • Extended Length: 23.840
  • Travel Length: 9.410
OME N67:

13.190 compressed length
22.360 extended length
9.17 travel length

Why is this important?

Assuming the OME Sport Nitros have same specs as the gen 1 Nitros, the Ranchos listed for 2.5" of lift run longer.

RS55239:
  • Compressed Length: 14.430
  • Extended Length: 23.840
  • Travel Length: 9.410
OME N67:

13.190 compressed length
22.360 extended length
9.17 travel length

Why is this important?

I sent Rancho an email asking something about the RS5000x RS55239 (front) and RS55241 (rear) shocks for 2-3" lifts. The Tech made a comment that the RS55241 has a dirt shield. I ask if when he says a dirt shield, did he mean a plastic/metal cover over the shaft to protect it. He said, yes it will be a hard plastic.

If any of ya'll who have recently ordered those 241's could confirm if it has a hard plastic cover over the shaft instead of a rubber boot, that would be great. That was the first I had heard of them not coming with a boot, because everyone always says to leave the boots off. I'm wondering if he got them mixed up with a different shock of theirs.

I sent Rancho an email asking something about the RS5000x RS55239 (front) and RS55241 (rear) shocks for 2-3" lifts. The Tech made a comment that the RS55241 has a dirt shield. I ask if when he says a dirt shield, did he mean a plastic/metal cover over the shaft to protect it. He said, yes it will be a hard plastic.

If any of ya'll who have recently ordered those 241's could confirm if it has a hard plastic cover over the shaft instead of a rubber boot, that would be great. That was the first I had heard of them not coming with a boot, because everyone always says to leave the boots off. I'm wondering if he got them mixed up with a different shock of theirs.

I can confirm that the 241s DO in fact have a hard plastic cover already installed. I installed mine just a few months ago. The 239's come with a rubber boot that you can install if wanted. Hope that helps.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I can confirm that the 241s DO in fact have a hard plastic cover already installed. I installed mine just a few months ago. The 239's come with a rubber boot that you can install if wanted. Hope that helps.

That's good to hear about the covers. I wish the fronts did too.

Where did you purchase them from?

This is good stuff. Can anyone confirm the part numbers for Rancho 5000x with OME 2.5 inch HD springs. I believe they are RS55239 and RS55241. I am going to be the test subject. Thanks!
This is my driver front ProComp spring, I turned it so the part number could be seen.. or did @JMT do that, he let me help him install the 2" lift.. 😀
20190212_145616.jpg

This is how my jeep sits now, 2" lift with 3/4" front spacers..
20190212_143000.jpg

The ride is firm, not harsh,.. I am very pleased with how the jeep rides

Reactions: JMT
I see. I figured if it was open on the bottom things would drain out. Well, maybe not fine dust.

We have sand everywhere here in SC and like mrblaine mentioned earlier, I'm concerned about the shafts being sand blasted by the rear tires. That's just everyday driving, not even counting the times we spend driving on the beaches in NC.

I see. I figured if it was open on the bottom things would drain out. Well, maybe not fine dust.

We have sand everywhere here in SC and like mrblaine mentioned earlier, I'm concerned about the shafts being sand blasted by the rear tires. That's just everyday driving, not even counting the times we spend driving on the beaches in NC.
I had to remove some front shocks from a rig where the nut was fused to the shock threads, prohibiting me from getting the nut off. I used an angle grinder to make the shafts flat on either side so I coudl get a wrench on them to hold them while I broke the nut free. The steel shafts are very hard steel. It took me quite a while to flatten them out on either side. Oh, that rig is pictured in post #69 above! My point is I wouldn't worry about sand.

You might check periodically if you can and see if anything is getting inside the plastic covers, which would probably do more harm than not having them on at all. If you remove them, of course, you can always see what's there and clean them up. But maybe those plastic things seal well against the body of the shock. IDK, just always read to remove all that stuff so it doesn't trap stuff.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
This is good stuff. Can anyone confirm the part numbers for Rancho 5000x with OME 2.5 inch HD springs. I believe they are RS55239 and RS55241. I am going to be the test subject. Thanks!

I just installed this exact lift. The ride improvement over stock is amazing. I highly recommend the setup. I have a winch up front and went with 3/4" Daystar spacers up front as well. I also installed an OME rear track bar relocation bracket.

Reactions: Hcwlsu101 and JMT
This is my driver front ProComp spring, I turned it so the part number could be seen.. or did @JMT do that, he let me help him install the 2" lift.. 😀View attachment 77330
This is how my jeep sits now, 2" lift with 3/4" front spacers..
View attachment 77331
The ride is firm, not harsh,.. I am very pleased with how the jeep rides
With what size tires? I didn't see that on your profile...

I just installed this exact lift. The ride improvement over stock is amazing. I highly recommend the setup. I have a winch up front and went with 3/4" Daystar spacers up front as well. I also installed an OME rear track bar relocation bracket.

Thanks for the feedback. Getting these soon and excited to see the difference.

Reactions: Magua
Since both of your TJs run 31" tires, how does the stance with the 2" BB compare to the 2" spring lift?
The stance looks to be nearly identical as far as i can tell.

I should post a side by side pic for clarity, for a visual comparison.

The other day when the jeeps were parked next to each other, just for.fun I placed my 4 foot carpenters level on the jeeps, one end on the left front fender of one and the other end on the right front fender of the other and the bubble in the level was dead on centered.

The same also regarding the ride, both are firm, not harsh to me anyway, a barely one year old jeep owner. 😊