OMG Another Super 35 Question

I know someone already mentioned many times that a 4140 or 4340 shaft isn’t needed for the rear Dana 35 axles. Buuuuuut If you want chromoly shafts, Alloy USA carries a 30 spline Dana 35 4140 shaft kit with a 10 year warranty. Didn’t read the warranty in detail though.
Alloy p/n 12134

Link to quadratec: https://www.quadratec.com/products/52400_602_07.htm

Alloy USA’s website is funky. They don’t list everything they sale and the warranty is listed as 5 year in the product ad yet the website says all shafts have a 10 year warranty.

All you youngsters complaining about drum brakes. My first few cars had all 4 drum. :D
They aren't difficult to do with the correct tools and know how.
Like Blaine said, rear discs use a small drum brake within the disc itself. Now you get to play with both, sorta :D

All you youngsters complaining about drum brakes. My first few cars had all 4 drum. :D
They aren't difficult to do with the correct tools and know how.
Like Blaine said, rear discs use a small drum brake within the disc itself. Now you get to play with both, sorta :D
Yes, sorta. They are like all drum brakes except the shoes are the same, no primary or secondary, no self adjusters to mess with, and the springs are basic with much less force than full size drums since they aren't primary type servo drums used as a service brake.

There should be a comment or two further back on case hardening. That is what you are looking at, or the lack thereof.

Your comment doesn’t explain what type of Dana35 shaft that is.
Stock? Aftermarket? What material?
How long was it run?

Like I mentioned in my previous comment, Alloy USA makes a 4140 shaft that carriers a 10 year warranty. Why would it carry that warranty if they knew the roller bearing would wear their shaft out?

How long was it run?

Like I mentioned in my previous comment, Alloy USA makes a 4140 shaft that carriers a 10 year warranty. Why would it carry that warranty if they knew the roller bearing would wear their shaft out?
I must have been blurting out useless and unhelpful information again.

Reactions: J R
How long was it run?
For someone that likes to stir the pot and then debate the technical veracity of a lot of shit, you simply don't pay attention.
When is the last time you saw a stock dual drilled rear axle shaft with dual drilled bolt patterns? How about never? Is that indisputable tech for you?
If it is not stock since there are no stock dual drilled patterns, that makes it aftermarket. Is that indisputable enough for you?
When is the last time you saw a TJ rear axle with thread in studs? How about never? Is that indisputable enough?
Does it matter how long it was run since with just a smidgen of extrapolation based on the lack of stock shafts suffering the same issue that something must be different to cause the issue? Whatever could that be?

The reason that Alloy USA does shit like that is because they are like a lot of folks who simply don't pay attention to the importance of details and the nuance of product design. You can derive one of two assumptions as being true about their practice of offering 4140 Dana 35 shafts. 1-they aren't 4140 and they are stretching the truth a bit. 2-They are cheap enough that they don't mind sending out replacements when they fail. Neither makes 4140 a good idea or an acceptable material for shafts that have a bearing surface.

Are you sure you want to keep asking me questions?

For someone that likes to stir the pot and then debate the technical veracity of a lot of shit, you simply don't pay attention.
When is the last time you saw a stock dual drilled rear axle shaft with dual drilled bolt patterns? How about never? Is that indisputable tech for you?
If it is not stock since there are no stock dual drilled patterns, that makes it aftermarket. Is that indisputable enough for you?
When is the last time you saw a TJ rear axle with thread in studs? How about never? Is that indisputable enough?
Does it matter how long it was run since with just a smidgen of extrapolation based on the lack of stock shafts suffering the same issue that something must be different to cause the issue? Whatever could that be?

The reason that Alloy USA does shit like that is because they are like a lot of folks who simply don't pay attention to the importance of details and the nuance of product design. You can derive one of two assumptions as being true about their practice of offering 4140 Dana 35 shafts. 1-they aren't 4140 and they are stretching the truth a bit. 2-They are cheap enough that they don't mind sending out replacements when they fail. Neither makes 4140 a good idea or an acceptable material for shafts that have a bearing surface.

Are you sure you want to keep asking me questions?

Don’t know why you feel this way. I’m just trying to learn. It was a simple question with no hidden agenda behind it.
You posted a pic with a vague comment and didn’t describe what it was showing. I was just asking about the shaft? I did notice it’s aftermaket, but the tone ring threw me off. And didn’t know aftermarket companies supply larger inner bore tone rings.
Again I’m still learning.

I sent you a direct message about the shaft. So you didn’t have to respond here...

Don’t know why you feel this way. I’m just trying to learn. It was a simple question with no hidden agenda behind it.
You posted a pic with a vague comment and didn’t describe what it was showing. I was just asking about the shaft? I did notice it’s aftermaket, but the tone ring threw me off. And didn’t know aftermarket companies supply larger inner bore tone rings.
Again I’m still learning.

I sent you a direct message about the shaft. So you didn’t have to respond here...
Again, you aren't paying attention. All of those questions have been answered.