OMG Another Super 35 Question

I think the last time I changed drum brakes was over 10 years ago. I can tell you this for sure though: I don't miss doing it.
If any upgrades we're to occur to brakes, I'd consider maybe upgrading the rotors and calipers up front, but it'd be only done because of age and might as well make it better than I got it when performing the job.

Reactions: Chris
If any upgrades we're to occur to brakes, I'd consider maybe upgrading the rotors and calipers up front, but it'd be only done because of age and might as well make it better than I got it when performing the job.
Go straight to Black Magic Brakes then... www.blackmagicbrakes.com Best performing brakes made for our TJs, period. While their Big Brake kit reigns supreme, even the brake pads by themselves are amazing. I've had BM Brakes on two TJs, wouldn't run anything else.

Reactions: XISophos
"...Oh, and that disc brake conversion I've been thinking about."

Thanks, I've been researching for awhile. I'm promoting my self from Jeep Newb to Rookie. BTW, everything I've read about the disc brake conversion (mostly from Jerry) says it's a waste of money since the front brakes provide 70% of the stopping force. I read that the only benefit to disc brakes is the easier maintenance.
A great way to display this fact is the relative need of changing out the rear pads/shoes vs the front. I'll check the rear when changing out the front, but won't usually bother changing them until around the 3-4th change of the front.

Go straight to Black Magic Brakes then... www.blackmagicbrakes.com Best performing brakes made for our TJs, period. While their Big Brake kit reigns supreme, even the brake pads by themselves are amazing. I've had BM Brakes on two TJs, wouldn't run anything else.
The Big Brake kits are definitely nice looking! Thing is, I'm now running Rubicon springs with 265/75 16's (31ish), and plan to never cross the 33 threshold if I decide to do the OME 2.5 in the future. At those specs, I really don't see the need to go too heavy in the hardware, so the BM pads make a lot of sense, and I'd go ahead and replace the rotors while at it. With replacing calipers, I'd guess there's some good stuff out there based on the OE specs, but I haven't researched that yet.

That's the only reason I'm concerned with a conversion. I changed out the shoes on my drums a few months ago, and while it isn't too hard, it still induced some cursing on my part, and I swore whatever my axle choice was going to be, it was going to include disc brakes. It won't be anything too fancy, I think I've seen some kits on-line running around 500, and that's not really shopping it yet.
Well, the good news is that even with a disc conversion, you still get drum brakes and brake drums to mess with.

Reactions: Mike_H
I'll be the contrarian here. There's nothing wrong with a Super 30 kit up front but it's my opinion that 30 spline shafts are not really needed up front with 35's, especially since you need new 30 spline hubs, bearings, and a 30 spline carrier or locker. That's a very expensive set of upgrades when there's a far less costly yet perfectly viable alternative available.

Instead, which is what I did to my previous TJ after breaking a factory front axle shaft on the trail, was to simply upgrade the shafts from the factory carbon steel 27 spline shafts to 4340 alloy 27 spline inner and outer shafts. That 4340 upgrade gives more strength than a stock Dana 44 axle shaft and it will hold up fine.

After upgrading the front shafts to 4340, my front axle had no more problems after that. Even doing the same trail again that broke the axle the first time, plus continuing to wheel other trails in Johnson Valley and other trails most would consider extreme level. 30 spline 4340 alloy shafts in the rear, 27 spline 4340 alloy shafts in the front. The front seldom sees more than about 50% of the stress the rear does so it doesn't need to have the same strength.
Dang Jerry - the more I read the more I realize I have so much to learn! Thanks for your explanation.

Lou

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I will need new gears for my super 35 and I read someplace that I can get some that don’t need breaking in. Am I hallucinating or does anyone know where I can them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will need new gears for my super 35 and I read someplace that I can get some that don’t need breaking in. Am I hallucinating or does anyone know where I can them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Revolution Gear and Axle

Yes, they use the Rem Surface Finishing process as described at https://www.revolutiongear.com/rem_surface_finishing

Ricky at www.4lowparts.com is a long-term Revolution Gear dealer, he can get them for you. It's cost is $60 per set so that'd be $120 total to add the process. I personally believe it's worth the cost after having broken in three sets over the years of gears and hating the process.

I'm baaak. So I called Revolution. Brandon, great guy, good service. With regard to the front axle kit he asked whether I wanted the Discovery Series (approx $600) or the American Series kit (approx $900). I can't find any information on the American Series, but Brandon basically said they were bigger, better...
Anyone know anything about the American Series Axel Kit from Revolution vs the Discovery Series?

The American series of axle shafts are forged/manufactured in Los Angeles with a lifetime warranty. The Discovery Series is imported and while both are solid choices, I'd go with the American series for its unlimited warranty and being made in America.

Reactions: XISophos and MikeO
Anyone know anything about the American Series Axel Kit from Revolution vs the Discovery Series?

Here are the specific descriptions:

US made Super 30 kit at $899.99

https://www.revolutiongear.com/product/97_06_tj_lj_xj_and_zj_us_made_front_super_30_axle_kit

Imported version at $579.15

https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._wj_30_spline_upgrade_kit_wo_locker_discovery

looks like they’re identical except for country of origin and length of warranty. One thing I didn’t realize until just looking at this website again the prices are the same in each series for the 27 and 30 spline versions so whether you go with American or Discovery you won’t be paying any more for the larger diameter

Reactions: MikeO