OPDA hype or real issue?

I've read literally hundreds of posts on the OPDA issue and know for a fact it's not BS, it's very real for some owners of 05-06 4.0L engines. Some say they obtained permanent fixes with the Crown OPDA kit, others have installed that kit only to find the problem returning or never really getting fixed even at the beginning. It's real and it's not always completely or permanently curable, despite the claims of some.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I've read literally hundreds of posts on the OPDA issue and know for a fact it's not BS, it's very real for some owners of 05-06 4.0L engines. Some say they obtained permanent fixes with the Crown OPDA kit, others have installed that kit only to find the problem returning or never really getting fixed even at the beginning. It's real and it's not always completely or permanently curable, despite the claims of some.

I have probably read a good amount of the same posts. I am not convinced it is an insurmountable problem.

Even more.. I have personal experience with it.

Giving credit qhere it is due.. Jerry was the one who brought the OPDA to my attention years ago on another site.

Last edited:
So to my question; how many of you have actually had to replace the OPDA in you ride. NOT "I knew/heard of a guy" or "A friend of mine" or "I replaced mine out of fear" but how many of you actually replaced it due to failure?

Probably should have included, Read it on the internet :risas3:

I've read literally hundreds of posts on the OPDA issue

:nusenuse:

Reactions: skrelnik and KCsTJ
Well the purpose of the thread was not to start a debate per se (even though I knew it would be next to impossible to not have it go that way) cause we all have our opinions. But again the TSB was over 12 yrs ago so I am looking at the "hype" today. And I even grant that "it's very real for some owners" but so is a lot of stuff. But does the current amount of "some owners" (however many that is 2, 20, 200 ?) warrant the alarm raised by some... that is the question?

So far by this very scientific survey the answer is no as we have the majority with no issues, 3 failures and 3 (I think) that removed perfectly good working units and replaced them with 3 perfectly good units. Seems a bit like cutting your boobs off because you might get breast cancer e.g. angelina jolie.

Now this result or simular one should be expected simply because the TSB did its job and took care of the problem making the replacement of an OPDA today a "routine" part failure.

Reactions: skrelnik and Taylo1
I bought my 2006 LJ 2 years ago with knowledge of the OPDA issue. It wasn’t making any noise at 211k on the clock with what I can only assume was the factory OPDA as it was a Chrysler/Mopar label on it. Then about 1-1/2 years later at around 220k the laughing monkey showed up one day. Crown OPDA went in a week or so later and no issues since. The gear looked fine. It was just the oiling issue for me.

I honestly just looked at it as a regular part failure like anything else. Chrysler's design sucked even on the "upgraded" ones so they will only last so long. However the jobs isn't too bad and it generally gives some warning before failure.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

So we are up to 3 (not counting nervous nellies)

“But I got better!” [emoji6]

I’ve replaced 3 OPDAs as a preventative measure on buddies Jeeps. All three had wear on the opda gear. My thought was $110 dollars to prevent the Mopar part completely failing is a drop in the bucket compared to the cash we drop on these Jeeps. If I was buying another 05/06 I’d consider examining the opda to see if it was replaced, or pulling it to look at the gears. Super simple process for a piece of mind.

Changed mine out about a month ago. 05 LJ with 114 miles. The one I pulled look at good as the one I installed. Purchased it in 2010 with 38,000 on it so I guess it could of been changed before I got it

“But I got better!” [emoji6]

I’ve replaced 3 OPDAs as a preventative measure on buddies Jeeps. All three had wear on the opda gear. My thought was $110 dollars to prevent the Mopar part completely failing is a drop in the bucket compared to the cash we drop on these Jeeps. If I was buying another 05/06 I’d consider examining the opda to see if it was replaced, or pulling it to look at the gears. Super simple process for a piece of mind.
Just bought my first 4.0, its an 05 Sport with 102k miles.
When i pull the OPDA how do i tell if it is original or aftermarket?

Check the sticker on the side. I’d have to go grab my old OPDA and shoot a pic, but I know my new Crown one had no labels on it. If you pull it and their is significant wear on the drive gear you might consider swapping it out.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I replaced mine at 65K when my cam sensor went out, figured i might as well while I'm in there. The old one had a few teeth that were shinier than the others, but no wear to speak of.

This is the label off my stock OPDA out of my 2005 and a picture of the wear on my gear.

03d39b0c9094df2205687fe1c880c87d.jpg

5f81aab09e83205454978e0c66a683a5.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ
Its yours, however the first thing is to check your vin against the TSB using the link provided in this thread since only a small number (relative to the whole) were effected by the bulletin. Second, me personally would not worry about it until you hear the tell tell signs of the laughing monkey then replace it. And @JeepZilla380 gives a good pic of the original label.

Reactions: skrelnik and Sancho