Operation Phoenix

Editing footage... here's all my thumbnails. Made a bunch of short episodes.

Operation Phoenix 1.jpg

Operation Phoenix 2.jpg

Operation Phoenix 4.jpg

Operation Phoenix 3.jpg

Operation Phoenix 6.jpg

Operation Phoenix 5.jpg

Operation Phoenix 7.jpg

Operation Phoenix 8.jpg

Operation Phoenix 9.jpg

Operation Phoenix 4.jpg

Operation Phoenix 6.jpg

Ok time to fix things that should have been fixed before departure...but didn't get done.

First up... seatbelts I ordered while driving north arrived and I puzzled through installation without instructions without too much difficulty.

Since the seats were out I started diagnosing the ODB port... working through the FSM and checking voltage on connectors. 8w-30-9, 8w-70-19, 8w-80-26, 8w-80-24 and 8w-80-7 have all the diagrams. Basically redid all my trail troubleshooting verifying power at connectors and splice points working towards the connector.

Until I really looked at the connector and port 16....power connector looked corroded...once I put on readers so I could really see...I realized that not only was the wire green dust...but the connector was completely missing...the PO probably stripped the wire and shoved it in the hole. This would explain why I had to wiggle my Bluetooth code reader to get it to work.

Called the local auto electric looking for a single pin...he recommended an entire new connector...grr... don't want to wait...so I ordered one from Amazon.

Meanwhile going to repeat the PO hack and strip the wire so I can read codes...

Wish Bedrug made a one piece tub liner.

Long list of things to do...P0132, 206 and 135...so injector 6 not firing and O2 sensors. Interesting.

-Mac

IMG20230725081721.jpg

IMG20230725074115.jpg

IMG20230725075956.jpg

IMG20230724170608.jpg

IMG20230724181252.jpg

Screenshot_2023-07-25-08-31-27-75_98e8f62c7aa0404f3e8c49c38ac87502.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
Amazon brought me a new Luk master/slave for my clutch. Got that installed and only forgot to bolt it to the bell housing and squirted the rod out and some fluid. Pumped up ok and is working...have the lid cracked open (and the keys sitting on top of it) so maybe it'll gravity bleed a little tonight. Otherwise I know there's a post that explains how to bleed it. Also installed the neutral safety switch...it wouldn't fit on the Duralast.

ODB port is fixed. Depined the new one... disappointed the wire is aluminum...and just replaced the power wire.

Seatbelts round four...had to offset the offset brackets to push the retractors as much to the side as I could...seats wouldn't slide with them straight up and down.

So seats back in and everything is running. Need to take it for a drive tomorrow and see if I get codes for injector 6 and the rear O2 sensor.

Posted about the speed sensor... clearly not a SC105...and the gear was chewed up because I didn't have it clocked right.

IMG20230728174911.jpg

IMG20230728085241.jpg

IMG20230728084522.jpg

IMG20230728092530.jpg

Part three drops 6 am tomorrow morning.

Need to work on the passenger roll bar...the 97 bar is there and one bolt is stuck and seized halfway out.

-Mac

You should destroy your Jeep more often 🤣 I’m loving watching the videos and following your progress. It’s amazing how quickly you got it all fixed up!

I'll let someone else do one next time...but I'll come help!

Actually might do it again... we're looking at options for my wife's JK... frame is bent, tub is bent... can't/don't want to afford something new. B and R has a 2014 JK coming in on Tuesday and if it's clean...then $2500 for tub, frame, doors, hood, grill and here we go again... although I'm probably two months from framing my shop...and getting a lift...so we'll see.

-Mac

I'll let someone else do one next time...but I'll come help!

Actually might do it again... we're looking at options for my wife's JK... frame is bent, tub is bent... can't/don't want to afford something new. B and R has a 2014 JK coming in on Tuesday and if it's clean...then $2500 for tub, frame, doors, hood, grill and here we go again... although I'm probably two months from framing my shop...and getting a lift...so we'll see.

-Mac

What a machine! You're insane.
But seriously, go easy on the meth. Are you OK?

j/k of course. You're putting us slackers to shame. Well done!

Been puttering on details.

Got the new Luk master slave bled after screwing up and pushing the rod out. Basically just unbolted it from the transmission and pushed the slave rod in a dozen times with the master lid off. Topped off the fluid and it's perfect.

Still want to find a barbed fitting or something to patch the line... seems like something super easy to have in my magic Crown bag of tricks.

Messed around with the speed sensor. Tried figuring out from research how to clock the housing and then realized that I already knew where it shouldn't be... actually two of the four possible positions. So I rotated it another 90 degrees and presto it's working perfectly albeit all the in and out might be seeping fluid. Going to run the torn up gear for a week and put in the one I bought for 35s...never installed it because the one for 33s was pretty damn close. And drain and flush all the plastic out. Might get my endoscope in and see if I can see the screen on the oil pump... hopefully not jammed with plastic bearing chunks.

Missing bolt on my Swayloc. Can't identify the thread and pitch...think it's M8 or 5/16 fine... nothing fitting. Reverse thread?

Check engine light came on for the speedo sensor. No return of cylinder 6 injector or downstream O2. Cleared, clocked and hasn't returned.

Part 5 YouTube drops Wednesday morning...1-3 are live now. Had to YouTube edit 3 because I forgot to delete and trim off 4... sometimes easier to edit all the footage and then find natural breaks.

Took the bumper off the JK. My poor tortured M8000 winch works perfectly despite being the tip of the spear that killed my Jeep... perhaps it was revenge for cooking three motors.

-Mac

IMG20230731183335.jpg

IMG20230731184747.jpg

Reactions: reddvltj
Been puttering on details.

Got the new Luk master slave bled after screwing up and pushing the rod out. Basically just unbolted it from the transmission and pushed the slave rod in a dozen times with the master lid off. Topped off the fluid and it's perfect.

Still want to find a barbed fitting or something to patch the line... seems like something super easy to have in my magic Crown bag of tricks.

Messed around with the speed sensor. Tried figuring out from research how to clock the housing and then realized that I already knew where it shouldn't be... actually two of the four possible positions. So I rotated it another 90 degrees and presto it's working perfectly albeit all the in and out might be seeping fluid. Going to run the torn up gear for a week and put in the one I bought for 35s...never installed it because the one for 33s was pretty damn close. And drain and flush all the plastic out. Might get my endoscope in and see if I can see the screen on the oil pump... hopefully not jammed with plastic bearing chunks.

Missing bolt on my Swayloc. Can't identify the thread and pitch...think it's M8 or 5/16 fine... nothing fitting. Reverse thread?

Check engine light came on for the speedo sensor. No return of cylinder 6 injector or downstream O2. Cleared, clocked and hasn't returned.

Part 5 YouTube drops Wednesday morning...1-3 are live now. Had to YouTube edit 3 because I forgot to delete and trim off 4... sometimes easier to edit all the footage and then find natural breaks.

Took the bumper off the JK. My poor tortured M8000 winch works perfectly despite being the tip of the spear that killed my Jeep... perhaps it was revenge for cooking three motors.

-Mac

View attachment 446006

View attachment 446007

Driver's side? I can take a gander at the one I have sitting uninstalled if you would like.

Reactions: macleanflood
Driver's side? I can take a gander at the one I have sitting uninstalled if you would like.

Yes please! I think my threads are dinged up and it needs chased with a tap.

And get that damn Swayloc installed... it's too awesome to sit in that box...which...granted is a piece of art unto itself.

Thanks!
Mac

• Haha
Reactions: PNW_LJ and reddvltj
Yes please! I think my threads are dinged up and it needs chased with a tap.

And get that damn Swayloc installed... it's too awesome to sit in that box...which...granted is a piece of art unto itself.

Thanks!
Mac

It'll find it's way on there eventully, I need to get all the other parts and pieces to do the lift and belly up, then it will be time to put it all together.

I'll head out and take a look and get back with you shortly.

It'll find it's way on there eventully, I need to get all the other parts and pieces to do the lift and belly up, then it will be time to put it all together.

I'll head out and take a look and get back with you shortly.

Chalis isn't too far away...and I've tried and failed twice to get to the Magruder.

Get your parts and let's do a wrench and wheel weekend.

-Mac

Chalis isn't too far away...and I've tried and failed twice to get to the Magruder.

Get your parts and let's do a wrench and wheel weekend.

-Mac

Talk about a coincidence. One of the guys on my mail route has been talking with me about running the Magruder trail some time this summer. Taking off from his place on Panther Creek road, doing a day trip over, spend the night, then come back the next day.

The parts stock pile is going to have to wait until I get sent out on some fires.. The toy fund is pretty anorexic right now.

Oh yeah the thread.... right hand thread 5/16 NF both ends.

Last edited:
Talk about a coincidence. One of the guys on my mai route has been talking with me about running the Magruder trail this some time this summer. Taking off from his place on Panther Creek road, doing a day trip over, spend the night, then come back the next day.

I'm down! Round one was last summer trying to offroad to Montana and the rear end grenaded. Round two was this summer and we know how that ended...Jeep is solid enough to make an 11 hour road trip... although I think I want a DEI heat shield for the injectors and fuel rail.

Thanks for the bolt size!

-Mac