Ophir and Black Bear Passes

Mud dauber

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Over the weekend my wife and I took a overnight camp Trip to Telluride. Our first stop in the area was to secure a campsite for the night. We stopped at Matterhorn campground and grabbed the last available site. 24 dollars and included showers.

We immediately left for Ophir Pass. We entered from the Ophir side. We did not air down and just took off. Not far up the road we came across a small traffic issue. It seems someone wanted to take a small vehicle down from the top. The passengers were clearing the path of large rocks from the road towards us. So nice of them. After that we made our way to the pass with no other issues. And down the other side. Then quickly over to Black Bear Pass. That trip was super nice. We saw only a few other vehicles at the beginning and a OHV at the top of the switchbacks.

Sad news is after this day thick smoke moved in from a western fire and ruined the views. Unfortunately fire could cause a lot of poor visibility out west this summer. I going back to try some other trails. We spent Sunday doing other things. More trails to come

AE2B9BAE-2008-4E41-B623-FDD8A9F5CE75.jpeg

B22B353E-5632-4716-914F-A9485026FF1D.jpeg

005784BF-9049-49DE-A2C8-3DCD97ACEFC8.jpeg

6DB2D63E-98A8-4BF5-BB5F-A1B2303F40A6.jpeg

8DEE5979-890B-45CB-9B5B-DC622A92D584.jpeg

Is that the la sal fire over by Moab? It’s been going for a while but of course it depends on the wind direction. Lots of smoke here in castle rock the last couple days.

It is probably smoke from several fires at this point.
We even have a air quality alert here in Created Butte. This lists 14 counties affected by smoke.

1293489E-4513-4DC6-ADDE-47392FAEF956.png

Yes, the views were ruined in the American Basin this past weekend too (7/11 - 7/13, 2021). So sad. We did a wheeling/hiking/sumitting "dream trip" that we'd been looking forward to for a long time... and then the smoke. Poo and boo.

nor people that drive up the high side without remorse.

AFAICT there's no reason that ram should be on its side there other than not paying attention.
"Doggone-it, Roy Gene! How many times do I have to 'splain it to you? When I tell you to put a rock under the wheel, I mean rock! Now look at that, what you have there is no bigger'n a grapefruit."

Did that truck roll right there? I don't think it fell from above. No body damage. And did some excited expedition bro finally get to use his axe to chop the driver out through the windshield? 😂