Opinion on grille inserts?

I like them myself - mainly worried about rocks hitting the radiator - and yes, I know someone that had a radiator destroyed that way. They were cheap enough - mine just snap in and have large holes to let in plenty of air. YMMV and all that.

Reactions: Tray Burge
Mine didn't come with them and I had no idea they existed, until it was too late. It became very clear during a 500 mi highway trip I needed something for radiator protection (after a new cooling system installed) so I found out about the inserts and snapped them in, no glue or tape and can take out for resale.

Once you drive through a swarm of bees, really any large bugs, or get rocks thrown into your grill you will want them. I was picking bees out of my overheating radiator with tweasers (should have taken a photo).
Big thing to mention: just the trim style is a complete waste of money.

Reactions: Zorba
I like them myself - mainly worried about rocks hitting the radiator - and yes, I know someone that had a radiator destroyed that way. They were cheap enough - mine just snap in and have large holes to let in plenty of air. YMMV and all that.
I agree, plus, it's bull shit they'll make your Jeep run hot. If your Jeep runs hot, you have other issues to worry about. It's all about the accent it adds, not to mention the protection Zorba mentions.
Here's another "gratuitous" shot just because I love stirring the pot. lol
IMG_1266.JPG

Last edited:
I think I had my Jeep for a year or two before I realized I had inserts, I'm not sure if I didn't notice them or if I thought that's what it looked like out of the factory... (first TJ). But once I realized they were added on I had been so used to them it didn't occur to me to remove them, though lately I've been wondering what it'd look like without them, I've thought about pulling them off but I have a feeling I won't like it & I'll have broken at least one if not more yanking them out :rolleyes: so I keep talking myself out of it.

Mine are just the trim:

View attachment 190967
Hey now thats what I need is just the trim💯🤘👊. I like the way that they look, but the ones with the mesh or holes did restrict the air flow enough that on a hot Utah summer day it overheated (probably resulting from a combination of the inserts as well as the winch restricting air-flow). Anyways, I like the look and was dissappointed when I had to pull them out. I like the look, and am glad that you mentioned yours are the trim only as that is what ill do, thanks man👍. I just need to find some red ones💯💯💯

Hey now thats what I need is just the trim💯🤘👊. I like the way that they look, but the ones with the mesh or holes did restrict the air flow enough that on a hot Utah summer day it overheated (probably resulting from a combination of the inserts as well as the winch restricting air-flow). Anyways, I like the look and was dissappointed when I had to pull them out. I am glad that you mentioned yours are the trim only as that is what ill do, thanks man👍. I just need to find some red ones. **edit** Actually, I was thinking really hard about what I did to fix the overheating issues, and just remembered that I threw a thermostat in the same day that I pulled the inserts. I should pop them back in and see. Just wanted to clarify to correct my previous comments of them being the sole culprit for my overheating issues👍.