Opinions on Fishbone tube fenders?

Joseph

TJ Enthusiast
I'm getting ready to order some parts to fix the Jeep and get it back on the road. Have to find a junkyard front axle and some decent tube fenders, JK blinkers, etc. Insurance guy quoted me for a brand new axle ($2,875) which really gave me a ton of wiggle room on what I can do. Received just a little over $4800.

Anyone run these Fishbone tube fenders? I plan on getting the front and rears.
(https://www.quadratec.com/p/fishbon...e-fender-set-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-unlimited)

Unless someone has a better opinion. I'm trying to spend no more than $600, and I'd prefer if that was a set rather than just the fronts.
I'm not a huge fan of how the metalcloaks look personally. Smittybilt just reminds me of bad quality. Plus no spot for a side marker. I think here in NJ I have to have side markers and front signals.

Pictures of what you guys run would be very helpful! Jeep is currently stock height so it's gonna look a little funny for awhile. Thanks everyone

What is the intention with the tube fenders?

Those Fishbones look like rebranded or counterfeit Smittybilt.

Reactions: Chris
I'm a big fan of Poison Spyder but they'd likely be way over your budget. I'm running their aluminum Defenders... One thing about inexpensive steel fenders, you can bet big $$$ they were made in China where Smittybilt's are also made.

These are mine...

LightsOn.jpg

I’ve found the only tube fenders I like the look of personally is the GenRight ones.

Agree that the fishbones look identical to smittybuilt.
I'll be the other vote for Poison spyder. I went the hiline route and used their inner fender. Its over your budget, but not by a whole lot.

hilines.jpg

IMG_2197.JPG

I don't have any experience with Fishbone fenders, but I do have one of their bumpers. It is quite well made, and I have no issues with it whatsoever.
20181030_113700_resized.jpg

However, when it came time to get fenders, I went with the Poison Spyders also. I just liked how they looked and I read a lot of good reviews. (I used Jerry Bransford's as my install guide). The front are around $560-$575 for the steel. (depending on width of flare). The rear are $350. My budget was starting to get stretched, so I went with EAG rears for only $174. They match the Poison Spyders lines exactly. They are sturdy and look great also. Yes, it was a compromise, but so far I have no regrets. That was a total of about $750 for front and rear. Something to consider at least.

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/TJ-LJ-Defenders-3-Tapered-Flares-Steel-p/14-02-040.htm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HX71F8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

20181011_131221.jpg

20181011_131234a1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
What is the intention with the tube fenders?

Those Fishbones look like rebranded or counterfeit Smittybilt.
No real intentions aside from looks. It's also a cheaper route than replacing my passenger fender from the accident, my driver side is also starting to rust away by the flare.
I do like the looks of Poison Spyder ones just pretty pricey. I was hoping the Fishbone would just be a higher quality Smittybilt style but maybe not. I'm gonna keep looking at the options.

I'm also looking for something wider rather than narrower.

Edit: I'll probably end up going with the 3" flare ones like DuncLj has. Seems like a nice fitment

Last edited:
No real intentions aside from looks. It's also a cheaper route than replacing my passenger fender from the accident, my driver side is also starting to rust away by the flare.

Nothing wrong with that. Just be aware that replacement fenders that don't allow the tire to rise above the hood line do not have any more clearance than stock. Some flat tube fenders even reduce clearance.

Reactions: JMT
ttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B3VH9PC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_S5l2BbZT6CW2P

Here's a set of EAG front fenders I have looked at before. They don't have the smittybuilt look; I feel like they look similar to the poison spyder. They are likely not the same quality, but EAG seems to have a good reputation. If they are just for looks, the quality probably doesn't matter too much so long as they fit and dont rust. They have the front signal & maintain the 3" flare. It says they are unavailable on Amazon but you could probably find them through another seller or on eBay.

Nothing wrong with that. Just be aware that replacement fenders that don't allow the tire to rise above the hood line do not have any more clearance than stock. Some flat tube fenders even reduce clearance.
Believe me, if there were areas around me where the cops wouldn't be immediately called, I'd definitely do a little offroading in it. I'm also stock height currently with a 29" tire. Not much clearance clarence

06495C32-8B98-42AB-AF52-788163D26E84.png
If I had the money I would go with Poison Spyder.
I have tube fenders (brand who knows) probably smittybilt forsure from China. I traded a rear TJ seat that I bought for $50 for Front and back tube fenders. So it was good deal and I’m pleased on how they look.
My tube fenders look like these.

Paramount Restyling 51-0041 Black Front Steel Fender with Mesh Insert (Jeep Wrangler TJ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHD26R8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I personally don’t like the curve in the tube fender prefer straight fender like fenders in link. Just my opinion though.

If I had the money I would go with Poison Spyder.
I have tube fenders (brand who knows) probably smittybilt forsure from China. I traded a rear TJ seat that I bought for $50 for Front and back tube fenders. So it was good deal and I’m pleased on how they look.
My tube fenders look like these.

Paramount Restyling 51-0041 Black Front Steel Fender with Mesh Insert (Jeep Wrangler TJ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHD26R8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I personally don’t like the curve in the tube fender prefer straight fender like fenders in link. Just my opinion though.
That's my debate now. Go for the cheaper ones so I can use the money towards other things, or just go with the Poison Spyder.
Poison Spyder here too. Used their inner wheel wells also.

I don't exactly know what the stock fenders look like pulled off, but if I went with the Poison Spyder, would I have to also purchase the inner wheel wells? Or does that remain after removing the stock fender?

That's my debate now. Go for the cheaper ones so I can use the money towards other things, or just go with the Poison Spyder.

I don't exactly know what the stock fenders look like pulled off, but if I went with the Poison Spyder, would I have to also purchase the inner wheel wells? Or does that remain after removing the stock fender?

You’d need to purchase their inner fender kit separately.

While the PS inner fenderwells are nice, you don't need them. You can use the stock inners. Most all tube fenders involve cutting the outer fender from the inner and then bolting new outer and old inner together.

Personally

If I was in your position I would wait on fenders fix everything you need to front axle get the suspension right. Make your jeep drive good like how you want. Then see how much you have left over for some fenders.
You can do a lot with $4,800. I wish I had that much to spend on my jeep lol

Could I run temporarily without them? Considering I don't really see much mud or water besides a nice big puddle near my girlfriends house when it rains lol

Yeah, you can use your OEM inner fenders. You’ll have to do some trimming.

Personally

If I was in your position I would wait on fenders fix everything you need to front axle get the suspension right. Make your jeep drive good like how you want. Then see how much you have left over for some fenders.
You can do a lot with $4,800. I wish I had that much to spend on my jeep lol
He quoted me for a brand new axle and a full alignment, which covered about $3300 of the total $4800. New shock and lower control arm obviously too. I'm 100% getting everything situated with that first, but I definitely know there will be room for the tube fenders. Rest I want to save on the side for that $250 monthly payment I got for the next year or so.

Yeah, you can use your OEM inner fenders. You’ll have to do some trimming.
Awesome. Love the look of your Jeep too. If I didn't go with Patriot blue I was really trying to stick it out and find a yellow one. Favorite color TJ hands down

Reactions: Daryl