Opinions on Motobilt high line fenders

UKTJ

TJ Addict
I has a quick search on the site and while I can see reference to Motobilt bumpers, but can’t see anything on their fenders, in particular the high lines? Does anyone have any experience of / opinions on them? How would you rate them versus Genright, Metalcloak, etc.

On a somewhat related matter, do Poison Spyder still make a high line fender for the TJ? They aren’t on the likes of Quadratec any more and it appears that the Poison Spyder website doesn’t allow anyone from the UK to view it.

Poison spyder still makes steel highlines, they are sold on 4wheelParts. Maybe look into a freight forwarder?

I’ve see lots of folks run Motobilt fenders in the trail, I think they’re a pretty standard steel option

Genright has the weight saving quality of aluminum.

Metalcloak is not a true highline as the hood line height remains the same

Reactions: UKTJ
Poison spyder still makes steel highlines, they are sold on 4wheelParts. Maybe look into a freight forwarder?

I’ve see lots of folks run Motobilt fenders in the trail, I think they’re a pretty standard steel option

Genright has the weight saving quality of aluminum.

Metalcloak is not a true highline as the hood line height remains the same

Thanks for that. Unfortunately 4wheelparts also blocks viewing from the UK (think this happens when companies do not want to deal with stupid EU driven data protection legislation).

I don't suppose anyone could tell me the current cost of Poison Spyder highlines and inner fenders on the 4wheelparts website? As I have to pay a chunky shipping cost and then c.25% in import taxes on the price (incl. Shipping), cost is not irrelevant.

I have the Motobilt and just installed them. They are pretty nice and went together easily. All the holes lined up and the manufacturing is quality.

Also had a set of the Metalcloak. Would not recommend them. They are well made but not a great design. Not a true highline as mentioned above.

Side note before, you’ll get mixed response’s from people here about Motobilt and for good reasons. Some designs are lacking (notably to me are their sliders) or designed around a jeep that’s isn’t what most people here build for (nimble tj on 35s). That being said their quality seems to be great and I love my bumpers from them. Now back to fenders specifically. I also wont talk about metalcloak as they aren’t a true highline. I actually had this question and asked it on my Instagram account for feedback and got a lot of responses. As far as genrights, the pros are basically the weight. From both websites the genrights weight roughly 8 pounds each while the motobilts weight roughly 40 pounds each depending on flare options. That’s absolutely crazy to me to wrap my head around that much weight just for fenders but then you factor cost for both. The negatives for genright is the price. The price is around 200 more for the actual fender, 100 more for the inner fender, and you’ll need to buy the fender support/ battery box separately which is 200 (from everything I can find the motobilts come with the price of the outer fender). So the biggest thing almost everyone mentioned is the 500ish dollar price difference for the weight. I also had a lot of guys who have genrights tell me that they wont buy them again bc of the aluminum bending on the tig welds and cost. For motobilts pros i would say for sure cost, especially since they give 30percent on Black Friday on top of the cheaper asking price but some may even argue that the flat design of motobilts take less room than the tubes on genright as another pro. Cons for Motobilt are the material, the fact that the fenders are the same thickness as steel bumpers is a bit wild and weight shows. As far as build purpose goes I know Blaine has said he won’t install steel fenders and will also recommend no flare if you plan on running JV. To me it’s clear that the weight alone is worth it if you plan on really using your jeep and keeping it.

They look interesting. But I find their website hard to fathom. To meet UK requirements I need the majority of my tyres covered (when viewed from above) but I can't see anything on the website about coverage, width, etc. Do you have any idea?

It looks like there are three component parts to them, an inner fender, an outer fender and a standalone flare (as opposed to say GenRight where the outer fender and flare are one price, with different flare size options). Have I understood their system correctly?

They look interesting. But I find their website hard to fathom. To meet UK requirements I need the majority of my tyres covered (when viewed from above) but I can't see anything on the website about coverage, width, etc. Do you have any idea?

It looks like there are three component parts to them, an inner fender, an outer fender and a standalone flare (as opposed to say GenRight where the outer fender and flare are one price, with different flare size options). Have I understood their system correctly?

I'm building a stretched LJ with a full nemesis aluminum armor kit. Build is over in the members build area. Their parts are very well made. I had an issue with their front flares but owner corrected.

Their fender system consists of the outer fenders, two inner fenders (per side), battery tray, and various accessory brackets. The fenders themselves have no flare. However, if you give Rob (owner) a call and ask him to build you some custom width flares, I'd bet he would do it.

Reactions: UKTJ
Thanks all, some interesting input. I have tried to gather available information from the respective websites, which I'd summarise as follows:

Motobilt
I can't see where the brackets get included, but think they are in there somewhere. Looking at their aluminium inner fender, steel outer fender and rear double arch steel flare I make the cost $1,337 and the total weight 156lbs. Motobilt quote that the front fenders give an additional 3" above the tyre and 2 3/4" behind the tyre.

Nemesis
The inner, outer and brackets for the front can be bought as a single kit (no idea why it costs more for a 2002 and earlier versus a 2003-2006), then a 4 1/2" flare can be added for the front and a 4 1/2" rear flare. The total cost for all these items is $1,967 with a total weight of 100lbs. Nemesis quote that the front fenders give an additional 4" above the tyre and 5" behind the tyre.

GenRight
The inner fender, outer fender, brackets and rear flare in 4" configuration would cost $2,050. As far as I can see they only quote a weight for the front outer fenders at 8lbs each, assuming the rears weigh about the same, and that the inners and brackets are a similar weight to both Motobilt and Nemesis gives an approximation of overall weight of 60lbs. Nothing I can see on additional clearances.

Interesting that the GenRight system may be that much lighter than the Nemesis. Nemesis quotes 10lbs for each of the fenders and the additional flares, so more than double the Genright. The rears are also quoted at 30lbs. Maybe they are using thicker aluminium as it does not look like they use a tube section.

If these weights are all broadly right, the shipping saving versus Motobilt of the Nemesis would be about $120. The GenRight option would give a further shipping saving of around $200. Adjusting for shipping would make the GenRights come in at an overall lower price than the Nemesis. But that is all based on an assumed weight which I need to check.

Given the comment above about some GenRight users being unhappy with bending at the welds, the separate replaceable flare from Nemesis may be a benefit.

The other question I have for all these options is about the replacement brackets. Where they are quoted as being handed I need to understand how they would work for a RHD where the battery is on the opposite side to a LHD.

Reactions: The4bangertj
Thanks all, some interesting input. I have tried to gather available information from the respective websites, which I'd summarise as follows:

Motobilt
I can't see where the brackets get included, but think they are in there somewhere. Looking at their aluminium inner fender, steel outer fender and rear double arch steel flare I make the cost $1,337 and the total weight 156lbs. Motobilt quote that the front fenders give an additional 3" above the tyre and 2 3/4" behind the tyre.

Nemesis
The inner, outer and brackets for the front can be bought as a single kit (no idea why it costs more for a 2002 and earlier versus a 2003-2006), then a 4 1/2" flare can be added for the front and a 4 1/2" rear flare. The total cost for all these items is $1,967 with a total weight of 100lbs. Nemesis quote that the front fenders give an additional 4" above the tyre and 5" behind the tyre.

GenRight
The inner fender, outer fender, brackets and rear flare in 4" configuration would cost $2,050. As far as I can see they only quote a weight for the front outer fenders at 8lbs each, assuming the rears weigh about the same, and that the inners and brackets are a similar weight to both Motobilt and Nemesis gives an approximation of overall weight of 60lbs. Nothing I can see on additional clearances.

Interesting that the GenRight system may be that much lighter than the Nemesis. Nemesis quotes 10lbs for each of the fenders and the additional flares, so more than double the Genright. The rears are also quoted at 30lbs. Maybe they are using thicker aluminium as it does not look like they use a tube section.

If these weights are all broadly right, the shipping saving versus Motobilt of the Nemesis would be about $120. The GenRight option would give a further shipping saving of around $200. Adjusting for shipping would make the GenRights come in at an overall lower price than the Nemesis. But that is all based on an assumed weight which I need to check.

Given the comment above about some GenRight users being unhappy with bending at the welds, the separate replaceable flare from Nemesis may be a benefit.

The other question I have for all these options is about the replacement brackets. Where they are quoted as being handed I need to understand how they would work for a RHD where the battery is on the opposite side to a LHD.

I know the inner brackets with the Motobilt are different left to right. You may be able to swap the sides but might result in you needing to drill some additional hole or some minor fab work to get everything to line up. I bolted my stock battery tray to the top of the support. Seems sturdy enough to me. The inner fender attached to these brackets as well. I’d have tested this theory if I didn’t have it assembled.

As far as build purpose goes I know Blaine has said he won’t install steel fenders and will also recommend no flare if you plan on running JV. To me it’s clear that the weight alone is worth it if you plan on really using your jeep and keeping it.
If I said that as an absolute, then I was highly mistaken since we use a lot of the steel Crawltek fenders. Steel just as a qualifier since that is all they make.

I would take suggestion above and speak directly with Nemesis. I know they were pretty quick to answer my questions on FB. Might work discount with you too if buying full package (never hurts to ask).

If I said that as an absolute, then I was highly mistaken since we use a lot of the steel Crawltek fenders. Steel just as a qualifier since that is all they make.

Unfortunately, the Crawltek's don't provide enough coverage to allow me to pass the annual inspection here in the UK.