Opinions on Motobilt high line fenders

When you say Optima required, this is due to size? Are there other small footprint battery options?

When you say Optima required, this is due to size? Are there other small footprint battery options?

Not size, they built the hold down and tray to be Optima specific and no other battery will interchange in that particularly odd configuration unless it is a direct knock off.

The Motobilt fenders.
  • Includes Passenger & Driver Support Brackets
You can choose to use an optima battery box or an odyssey.
If you have any questions let me know as I run the 6” high lines on the front of my TJ.

Reactions: UKTJ
The Motobilt fenders.
  • Includes Passenger & Driver Support Brackets
You can choose to use an optima battery box or an odyssey.
If you have any questions let me know as I run the 6” high lines on the front of my TJ.

Does the Motobilt require the use of either Optima or Odyssey? 😉

Reactions: psrivats
Does the Motobilt require the use of either Optima or Odyssey? 😉

You can use any battery you want as long as you can secure the battery to the mount. The inner battery support is just a flat top and if you have a battery box for a different style, you would just have to drill holes through the bracket so you can bolt it down.

Reactions: jjvw
I just drilled holes and bolted my stock battery tray to the fender bracket. Works fine with OE group 34 battery.

I'm aware that Odyssey doesn't use odd form factors. I just found the brand specificity odd to convey it.

Reactions: AMS417
That would be a deal breaker right there.

It was, owner was not pleased and had us remove them most of the way through the install after he checked with them only to find there is no other option. I'm sad that all the times I've seen folks talk them up and brag about how cool they are for owning and installing them, that little nugget of info has remained out of sight for this long.

Reactions: williambmac
Anyone have any experience with the TNT fenders?

I have just had a look at TNT, they look interesting. Nothing on the website, but from a TNT video I found a quoted weight of about 24 to 28lbs per fender. But that is for a complete inner, outer and flare. That seems impressive for steel, in fact it appears to be less than the Nemesis aluminium fender. The once piece design is a double edged sword for me, helpful for fitting but will no doubt mean the package is far bulkier for shipping. The other pro for these is that the battery bracket looks to be useable for a RHD as it does not appear handed.

Reactions: voodooridr
I have just had a look at TNT, they look interesting. Nothing on the website, but from a TNT video I found a quoted weight of about 24 to 28lbs per fender. But that is for a complete inner, outer and flare. That seems impressive for steel, in fact it appears to be less than the Nemesis aluminium fender. The once piece design is a double edged sword for me, helpful for fitting but will no doubt mean the package is far bulkier for shipping. The other pro for these is that the battery bracket looks to be useable for a RHD as it does not appear handed.

I just had a reply from TNT Customs, the size of the package with the one piece fender is a big issue. It adds about $450 to the shipping cost versus a smaller package of the same weight.

I just had a reply from TNT Customs, the size of the package with the one piece fender is a big issue. It adds about $450 to the shipping cost versus a smaller package of the same weight.

What are you trying to accomplish with the fenders? Aesthetic? Legal? Performance? Some combination? For me fenders the main performance of a fender is to keep crap off my rig and keep me close to legal. Aesthetically they add or take away a lot from a rig. The stock fenders and flares look aesthetically pleasing to me and provide good performance until you bend a fender over. They can kind of get in the way. Now I have MCE. Perform well. Not my favorite aesthetically from all angles, though from some angles they look good.

Reactions: UKTJ
What are you trying to accomplish with the fenders? Aesthetic? Legal? Performance? Some combination? For me fenders the main performance of a fender is to keep crap off my rig and keep me close to legal. Aesthetically they add or take away a lot from a rig. The stock fenders and flares look aesthetically pleasing to me and provide good performance until you bend a fender over. They can kind of get in the way. Now I have MCE. Perform well. Not my favorite aesthetically from all angles, though from some angles they look good.

That's a really sensible question. At the moment I am really just surveying the options. I know that you also appreciate I have to deal with an extra dimension of dealjng with living between 3,000 and 6,000 miles away from where most TJ parts are made.

I guess it is a combination of the three. But, there is no scope for any fenders to not be legally compliant. In the UK that means an absolute minimum of 70% tyre coverage when viewed from above. Beyond that any highline will give me significantly more space above and behind the the tyre, so that is to some extent a given I believe. Of course the other element to performance is weight, with a stock engine I really want to avoid much added weight. In addition, weight has a cost influence as well. Aesthetics are not the top factor, but in part that is because in broad terms I think highlines are broadly similar in look.

Does that make sense?

Poison spyder still makes steel highlines, they are sold on 4wheelParts. Maybe look into a freight forwarder?

I’ve see lots of folks run Motobilt fenders in the trail, I think they’re a pretty standard steel option

Genright has the weight saving quality of aluminum.

Metalcloak is not a true highline as the hood line height remains the same

Anyone know what brand these are?

IMG_3108.jpeg

That's a really sensible question. At the moment I am really just surveying the options. I know that you also appreciate I have to deal with an extra dimension of dealjng with living between 3,000 and 6,000 miles away from where most TJ parts are made.

I guess it is a combination of the three. But, there is no scope for any fenders to not be legally compliant. In the UK that means an absolute minimum of 70% tyre coverage when viewed from above. Beyond that any highline will give me significantly more space above and behind the the tyre, so that is to some extent a given I believe. Of course the other element to performance is weight, with a stock engine I really want to avoid much added weight. In addition, weight has a cost influence as well. Aesthetics are not the top factor, but in part that is because in broad terms I think highlines are broadly similar in look.

Does that make sense?

How did you go UKTJ.

I am in a similar position to you, I like the idea of some high clearance flat guards, but living in Australia, the local laws have us covering our wheels up.

I was actually looking at the Poison Spyder 5 inch defenders, has anyone got any additional pictures. They appear to not follow the bonnet, as in the flat fender gets wider toward the front of the Jeep (outer edge stays parallel with the tyre). Which is what I would likely need, but seems to only be the 5 inch, the 3 inch looks like it follows the bonnet line.

I'll brag about Nemesis fenders and the optima battery tray.. poke poke.. In all honesty, If one is installing highline fenders, you can opt NOT TO PURCHASE the optima battery tray and fab something/install an AGM or lead-acid. I'd say the battery platform/firewall to fender bracket tilts the batter 10-15 degrees.

Reactions: Wildman
I am excited to see a thread about TJ fenders that has such recent posts! I am looking to make the jump to flat fenders and trying to do some research on brands. I am not a fan of the tube look and have really been eyeing the Nemesis kits, modulus because i like the look. I like the PSC as well, but the 3" seem to be difficult to find and the bolt on replacement vs cutting lens the edge to Nemesis for me personally. The jury is still out for me on if I need highline or not. The Optima battery tray seems to be a pretty big contention point. Can someone explain why there is so much negativity around Optima? I currently have an Odyssey that I put in like 5 years ago after reading a recommendation, but I don't know a lot about the differences.

I am excited to see a thread about TJ fenders that has such recent posts! I am looking to make the jump to flat fenders and trying to do some research on brands. I am not a fan of the tube look and have really been eyeing the Nemesis kits, modulus because i like the look. I like the PSC as well, but the 3" seem to be difficult to find and the bolt on replacement vs cutting lens the edge to Nemesis for me personally. The jury is still out for me on if I need highline or not. The Optima battery tray seems to be a pretty big contention point. Can someone explain why there is so much negativity around Optima? I currently have an Odyssey that I put in like 5 years ago after reading a recommendation, but I don't know a lot about the differences.

In the experience of many, the Optima simply does not last. That has happenned since Optima was sold to Johnson controls, who then moved manufacturing to Mexico. I used to run Optimas, but likely never will again. The last few I owned lasted only one or two years.

I run Genright Highlines. I also run an Odyssey Extreme. It fits in the Genright battery tray - which was designed around the Optima - with a little trimming of the fins on the short sides.

Reactions: shortydog33