Opinions on OX locker with Super 35 kit

I did the test, I use it all the time. It locks up right away just like in the video I shared. If you choose not to believe it that's up to you. If you'd like to see it in real life come on over. We will have a cold drink and watch it spin.
It's in the picture I posted. The lock can't be immediate in all possible positions because that just isn't how it physically works.

Now, if the edges of the detents are ramped, there will be some amount of self aligning that occurs where it appears as if the lock is immediate in all (more) possible positions.

It's in the picture I posted. The lock can't be immediate in all possible positions because that just isn't how it physically works.

Now, if the edges of the detents are ramped, there will be some amount of self aligning that occurs where it appears as if the lock is immediate in all (more) possible positions.

Ok buddy, I give. Wish you were closer so we could get together do some experimenting. There are several videos demonstrating what I described if you care to view them. I would be interested in seeing a video of the OX not engaging if anyone has one to share

I see you're in Colorado, on my list of places to go. Maybe some day. Have a good one

I learn something everyday on this site and I'm so appreciative of it, especially you and a couple of others that provide so much knowledge from experience. I did the test and confirmed that the lockers are immediate upon pressing the switch. This is one of the reasons that I chose OX. I haven't owned any other types of lockers so I can't speak to those but the simplicity of the design (shift fork and locking ring) is one of the reasons that I went with OX (same reason I own and carry Glocks but that's another discussion). There are a few videos that demonstrate how OX lockers work. I'm attempting to attach a link to one that shows both the mechanics and the drive away lock (another reason I chose ox) but you may have to copy and past to view it.

Please point out what I'm missing if needed,
Thanks
Roy
Doesn't look like they work any differently than the ones I've worked on and the one they sent me to see if I could figure out why it was coming unlocked going around corners. When you say immediate, it actually can't be until there is enough rotation of the tire to line up
Ok buddy, I give. Wish you were closer so we could get together do some experimenting. There are several videos demonstrating what I described if you care to view them. I would be interested in seeing a video of the OX not engaging if anyone has one to share

I see you're in Colorado, on my list of places to go. Maybe some day. Have a good one
He isn't saying it doesn't engage, he is saying the same that I did. Depending on how the teeth in the locking clutches are lined up, the rotation of the tire will be from zero, (immediate) to the distance it has in degrees that the teeth take up. If it had 1 tooth every degree or 360 teeth, it would have to turn a maximum of 1 degree before they engaged. There aren't 360 teeth. If you count the number of teeth, divide that into 360, the number you get will be the maximum number of degrees that is has to rotate before it can lock.

This would be easier if you owned the first iteration of the cable shifter. They didn't put a spring loaded section in it so you had to hold the shifter lever with some pressure on it and then drive with the tires turned until enough side to side differentiation happened for the clutches to line up. You can also see in the pictures the small disengagement springs between the clutches. That is what pushes them apart to unlock them when there is no pressure on them after you hit the unlock part of the switch.

Reactions: jjvw
Doesn't look like they work any differently than the ones I've worked on and the one they sent me to see if I could figure out why it was coming unlocked going around corners. When you say immediate, it actually can't be until there is enough rotation of the tire to line up

He isn't saying it doesn't engage, he is saying the same that I did. Depending on how the teeth in the locking clutches are lined up, the rotation of the tire will be from zero, (immediate) to the distance it has in degrees that the teeth take up. If it had 1 tooth every degree or 360 teeth, it would have to turn a maximum of 1 degree before they engaged. There aren't 360 teeth. If you count the number of teeth, divide that into 360, the number you get will be the maximum number of degrees that is has to rotate before it can lock.

This would be easier if you owned the first iteration of the cable shifter. They didn't put a spring loaded section in it so you had to hold the shifter lever with some pressure on it and then drive with the tires turned until enough side to side differentiation happened for the clutches to line up. You can also see in the pictures the small disengagement springs between the clutches. That is what pushes them apart to unlock them when there is no pressure on them after you hit the unlock part of the switch.
Ok, for the sake of discussion I'll agree that there has to be at lease some minimal turn to engage. When I did the test as described the most the wheel moved before being locked was about 1". I even went back out and did it again to make sure I was paying attention but that could have been the odds in my favor.

When I say immediate on the trail I'm talking a second, maybe 2. I believe the original discussion was about whether lockers disengage quickly enough to make a difference in being able to negotiate turns. I would think that 1/4 to 1/2 a turn of the wheel would be more than adequate for that? Also, for my edification, would the disengagement require alignment of the teeth. It seems that at least that half of the equation would be immediate as in truly immediate.

Ok, for the sake of discussion I'll agree that there has to be at lease some minimal turn to engage. When I did the test as described the most the wheel moved before being locked was about 1". I even went back out and did it again to make sure I was paying attention but that could have been the odds in my favor.

When I say immediate on the trail I'm talking a second, maybe 2. I believe the original discussion was about whether lockers disengage quickly enough to make a difference in being able to negotiate turns. I would think that 1/4 to 1/2 a turn of the wheel would be more than adequate for that? Also, for my edification, would the disengagement require alignment of the teeth. It seems that at least that half of the equation would be immediate as in truly immediate.
That is all we are saying to get folks to understand how they work so they can visualize the fact that there are square cut locking teeth with small springs that push them apart. Now for the other side, did you put pressure on the tire and turn or try to turn it while it was locked and then while still holding pressure on it, have someone hit the unlock switch?

Disengagement requires that there is not enough pressure on the locking clutches so that the small springs can push the two halves apart. So, you have to do the other half of the test to understand the rest of it.

The locking teeth have straight sides. Under pressure, they do not slide past each other until that pressure is relieved.

If you notice in the video, he rotates the tire momentarily in one direction before showing how it free spins in the other direction. This is the motion needed to unlock the teeth, relieving pressure on the teeth.

If you notice in the video, he rotates the tire momentarily in one direction before showing how it free spins in the other direction. This is the motion needed to unlock the teeth, relieving pressure on the teeth.
With an ARB and the E-locker, you can hold enough pressure to keep them engaged after you hit the unlock switch with the force of one finger on one tread block of a mud terrain and not straining to do it. The leverage is very much in your favor.

I ran across this video showing how to adjust the OX cable shifter. Near the end there is a demonstration of the locker not engaging until there is sufficient differentiation to allow the two halves of the locker line up.