Optimal offset and wheel spacing

Wampaging

I really like these rims but I feel like they are gonna stick out way too far. I am putting 12.5 wide tires, on 15x10 in wheels, they have a -44 offset and 3.75" backspacing. Does anyone have and wheels that are close to this, pictures would be appreciated too. Thanks
Screenshot_20201020-205214_Chrome.jpg

Not the best picture but 15x10 American Racing wheels (4.00 BS, -38mm offset) with 33x12.5 cheap Korean mud tires
I had to go to 6" flares to come close to covering the tires

sunny1.jpg

20201012_152520.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
if you wheel much, I have found having the tire poke out from the fenders, even with straight wheels is nice on the technical trails, sucks when you hit the mud though. I'm running stock with 1 inch spacers and 31x10.5
IMG_0019.JPG

wow, that's an old pic, but it's what's on my computer rn.

For street and offroad uses you'd be better off with 15x8 wheels. They would stick out 2" less and your aired down tires would be able to stay seated more easily on 8" wide wheels than on 15x10 wheels. 3.75" of backspacing (not offset which is a different measurement) is ok but 4" is better if you see a wheel with it.

View attachment 197534
AR62's maybe? if you have a side picture that would be appreciated. half heartedly wheel shopping and kina like AR's stuff.
That's them, only 10" and black, not what I would ever choose but it's what was on the thing when I bought it
steering, suspension, brakes then tires/wheels (33x12.5 on 15x8 Methods)

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
Comparing backspacing on wheels of different widths is rather difficult, and is why offset exists.

Typically, the suggestion is to use 3.75" or 4" of backspacing on 15x8 (or larger diameter) wheels. 15x10 wheels with 3.75" of backspacing are going to put the tire centerline a whole extra inch outboard of the 15x8.

That extra inch will negatively affect scrub radius, meaning potentially poorer handling, and also results in significant additional wear on ball joints and wheel bearings.

Personally I would stick with 15x8, or perhaps try to find a 15x10 with about 4.5-5" of backspacing for 35x12.5, or about negative 12mm of offset, and not more than negative 25mm offset or less than 0mm of offset.

For street and offroad uses you'd be better off with 15x8 wheels. They would stick out 2" less and your aired down tires would be able to stay seated more easily on 8" wide wheels than on 15x10 wheels. 3.75" of backspacing (not offset which is a different measurement) is ok but 4" is better if you see a wheel with it.
Are you saying to go with 10.5 wides and get 8 wide wheels instead of 12.5 sides with 10 wide wheels

Are you saying to go with 10.5 wides and get 8 wide wheels instead of 12.5 sides with 10 wide wheels
No, 12.5 tires are fine on 8" wheels, it's the most popular combination for those who offroad in addition to driving on pavement. I'm running 35x12.50 tires on 15x8 wheels.

No, 12.5 tires are fine on 8" wheels, it's the most popular combination for those who offroad in addition to driving on pavement. I'm running 35x12.50 tires on 15x8 wheels.
O ok, I was looking at the Bf goodrich Ko2 and I guess I really didn't look much else but I saw that they are supposed to have 8.5-11 inch wide wheels, but I guess it wasn't the smartest to just look on one website and call it good lol

For pure street use 10" wheels are fine. But if you mix in offroading you need 8" wide wheels which are fine on the street too. That's all I've run for nearly 25 years of TJ ownership as both a daily driver on tough offroad trails where 10" wheels are rarely seen.

Reactions: Rick Flair
O ok, I was looking at the Bf goodrich Ko2 and I guess I really didn't look much else but I saw that they are supposed to have 8.5-11 inch wide wheels, but I guess it wasn't the smartest to just look on one website and call it good lol
Thats a recommended rim width by the mfg.
I and several million others could attest that 8" is perfectly satisfactory for a 12.5 wide tire.

A 10" wide has it's place in certain 12.5 situations and of course larger.
13.5 wide tire and 14-15 wide tire a 10 is a good idea. Same principal as the 8" on a 12.5

Just note....sometimes people bargain hunt for used rims. You need to verify the specs yourself sometimes. Those width measurements are from inside lip to inside lip.

The backspacing measurements measure from where it seats against the hub to the inner edge of rim. Lay rim with outside face down on ground. Use a board and lay across the beck edge of rim then measure from the inside face (where it seats against the hub to the board.)

Good luck

Reactions: Wampaging
I have 15x10's with 33x12.50R15's on my Rubicon. They are -44 or 3.75 backspace approx. No rub at full flex, but will be going to 15x8 when I replace them due to the wheel getting damaged on rocks. No lost beads yet, but it could happen. One is bent, and my spare has the lug bores ovaled out due to a loose wheel.

1603257299076.png

Reactions: Rick Flair
You’re going to stick way out there on a 10 inch wide wheel.

My first pic is a 31x10.50-15 on a 15x8 wheel with 3.75 backspacing and the regular width TJ fender flare.

The second pic is with the exact same tire/wheel with the wider (4.5 inch, I think) Rubicon flares.

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

Reactions: Tomcat