Other hobbies / pastimes

I only have 3 bicycles for myself and one for each member of the family (and a spare).

I have a mountain bike, road bike, and commuter bike. Sensible to me but I get questions about garage space use at times. I need to look at new cassettes on a couple due to use. I ride the heavy stuff on the trails to maximize workout. I'm larger so on a bike I'm aroubd 7 feet tall standing and close to 300 lbs of total weight with my steel frame bike moving at 14-15 mph. It amazes me how many people stand in my path on the bike trails like they're going to win if we collide.
I have a 1962 Schwinn "Straight Bar" Typhoon that was built by a guy who worked at the Schwinn plant in Chicago many, many years ago. It has front and rear "drum brakes" and the tandem bike heavier gage spokes than a standard bike has. It was also converted to a 5-spd, and has an old chrome mountain bike fork and handlebars. He was 6'2" and almost 350 lbs., and the bike handled him just fine. I ride that one more than any of the others.

Last edited:
As stated in the "Day Job" thread motorcycles are a big part of my life. I've owned 50+ over the 25 years in the industry. Lots of guns, no competition though. Mt. Bike but it's been awhile, bum knee, need a replacement (guess how I messed that up?) Lol I got into RC cars in 2015 and raced 1/10th scale offroad for a couple of years. Video games, currently playing Overwatch, always on this forum reading while waiting for games. I was an Atari original kid in the 70's and my dad owned lots of full size arcade games. I still have a 1975ish Flip Flop pinball machine and an original full size Donkey Kong Jr. from 1982 I think. Jesus is King and I love reading the Bible and having Tuesday morning Bible study via Zoom as well as Wednesday night small groups.

I've always loved fabrication. I worked in a custom bike shop in the 1970s. Today altho I do not weld, my big hobby is still fabrication, i do the design, cutting, fitting and find a Journeyman Welder to put it together. I find even the best welders tend to focus on the weld and need oversight to keep things square, true, on spec.

Beyond that I rank drinking as something beyond a hobby.

680b01920ed6b25100d922c938a57580_width-600.jpg

I have a 1962 Schwinn "Straight Bar" Typhoon that was built by a guy who worked at the Schwinn plant in Chicago many, many years ago. It has front and rear "drum brakes" and the tandem bike heavier gage spokes than a standard bike has. It was also converted to a 5-spd, and has an old chrome mountain bike fork and handlebars. He was 6'2" and almost 350 lbs., and the bike handled him just fine. I ride that one more than any of the others.
We need to see pix of this one!

Man...I get a huge discount on Leupold and Nightforce. I like the fact Leupold is an Oregon company with USA made glass.
We make some of the aluminum parts for Leupold scopes where I work. They're a flat aluminum ring with hash marks going all the way around them. It's obvious, though, that I don't know what the part is called.

Too many hobbies here. Most of my time is spent working and trying to expand our family farm operation (corn and soybeans). I like doing it and still not big enough to be living off of it so I consider it a hobby. Aside from that I enjoy riding atv's and collecting old Honda ATC's, hunting and fishing with my dad, shooting and gun collecting, boating, playing guitar, gardening, and drinking you could say. Unfortunately none are cheap. Luckily my fiance is supportive in most of them and joins in on the fun frequently.

Inspired by the "Day Job" thread, what are your other hobbies/pastimes besides your TJ?

I have several myself. Aside from my dancing, there's shooting and firearms collecting - mostly WW II service pistols; collecting old sewing machines; doing some "light sewing" - mostly to do with dance costumes although I also make and sell Bustle Pillows; "Piano Technology" - I have a 1918 upright that I've re-furbished; I still do some computer programming as well as maintain several websites for myself and others; my old Mercedes is another automotive interest/money pit; I do a LOT of reading; collect earrings and other jewelry; work on old electronics - especially vacuum tube equipment and old computers; and lastly I make and sell an ancient Egyptian/Minoan musical instrument called a "Sistrum".
Where do you source your tubes? I collect old radios(Am/Fm), and need a good source for them lol.

Hobbies for me are tricky since I have a 3yr old running around. but I play the occasional video game, and am a photographer as well.

Woodworking:

Hand mirrors
1F740BA6-8E7E-4FCF-BE7A-9D837703377D.jpeg

Small boxes from scraps and offcuts
84055A74-A034-46C6-8CEB-1CF609513EAA.jpeg

The occasional piece(s) of furniture
678FF7BE-0147-46C0-BD3F-430AD7AF17BC.jpeg

00D17084-A881-4F6D-B32C-17D319ABE06A.jpeg

And hiking, especially researching and exploring old Indian ruins.
BE2FBC36-9069-4382-BD61-8B7580CA1EC5.jpeg

Last but not least: My volunteer work in the Preventive Search and Rescue (PSAR) program at the Grand Canyon.
According to my wife, I don’t do well sitting still, LOL!

Last edited:
I race and restore vintage dirt bikes. I'm particularly fond of vintage euro bikes from the 60-70's, my favorites are German (Maico, Zundapp and Hercules/Sachs) and Spanish bikes (Ossa, Montesa, Bultaco). I'm also a big Hodaka fan. Attached are two of my favorite bikes which sit in my office.

I also regularly race mountain bikes (Enduro, XC and occasional road) and coach a kids MTB team. I have two boys and both race bikes. My oldest is a Pro racer and won a national enduro title two years ago. He is one of the top ranked U21 racers in the US. Ebikes are my new jam and I'm loving the ebike scene. I've done a few ebike races and they are a blast.

My downtime and late nite wrenching events are usually accompanied by New England IPA's and my 2 dogs (who also like NEIPA's).

GP 250.jpg

Super Rat.jpg