Other hobbies / pastimes

Hunting and shooting, mostly anymore.
Down to my last sled dog, spent a lot of years on the back end of a sled behind dog teams. Raced and bred dogs, did some outfitting/tours.

Edit:
My wife pointed out I do sourdough baking. It started as a hobby of sorts 20 yrs ago, now it’s something I just do without really thinking about. If I can make anything baked with sourdough, I will. I crank out a couple loaves of sandwich bread or French a week, and a pizza crust for family night dinner as a minimum. Can’t remember the last time I bought commercial yeast for anything. I reckon we could call it an avocation still.

Last edited:
I’ll play. At last count, I think I have 17 bicycles, from a 1947 Monark Rocket to a 2017 Framed Minnesota 2.0. Three of the bikes have multi speed fixed gear hubs that I modified from old Sturmey and Bendix hubs. One in the collection I have owned since June of 1970.

I also collect old gas pressure lanterns and camp stoves. Don’t know how many of each I have but I lean towards kerosene burners.

I do all my own work on my motorcycles. The 07 Ural Gear Up has been on here many times just because it’s so damn useful. The 79 CX 500 was on here once, too. There are also two French VeloSolex mopeds taking up space in the garage. E-bikes laugh at them, but they have a hell of a lot more range.

Too beat up to go tramping in the woods anymore, so I live vicariously through others hunting stories. Still have my rifles, though.

Lastly, I have returned to fishing. I throw an ultralight set with a couple of Rapalas’ into the sidecar for a couple hours on a Saturday morning. I’m usually back home before crabby wakes up.

I chase my 13 yr old all over creation coaching him in high level travel baseball. He loves it and dreams of playing in college.

I’m a pretty proud father. And as you can here in the video his mother is pretty proud of him too!

1947 Monark Rocket
I have a Monark, as well, and a couple sets of the springer forks, if I recall correctly. I can't recall exactly what year my Monark is. I want to say it's a '49. Men's bike. Bought it from a guy in Chicago, and had it shipped to me. Here's a stalled project (obviously mocked-up). It's a '49 Rollfast 20" boys bike with a set of Monark forks. The seat is off a 1922 Mead Ranger.

Rat Bike.JPG

Well shoot, I think my Jeep takes up most of the pie. I also do a bit of gaming, though I've moved to PS4 almost entirely, as well as MTG for table top. Admittedly, somewhat like @Squatch, I also collect old things because I just think they're cool. But he is much more of a connoisseur than I am. I think I just snag old things haha.

music, in all its forms. I have 7 guitars, 2 banjos, a mandolin, just got a fiddle that no one is happy about my learning curve. I have about 3000 cds and 1200 lps, there is always music on in this house.

Bourbon, and shot glasses to taste said bourbons in (all whiskies are good but I only collect bourbons, which is a little interesting now because my fiancé has been sober for 16 years!!)

anything outdoors!! fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, canoeing, yard work, etc.

that's what drew me to the jeep when i was in high school, Ive been hooked ever since

I love old machines and tools as well. I guess my wife is lucky we do t have property and a shop. I’d have it filled with old stuff! As it is, I have some things from her grandmothers farm last time we visited.

Two man hand saws from the 1860’s they get family brought out with them from Oklahoma. Old lantern, unknown age but looks late 1800’s, early nineteen hundreds. Old double headed axes I plan to restore, a vice from the early 1900’s, various other files and old tools. Lots of early cast iron cookware.

If I could, I LOVE old gas station/automotive signs. I can’t afford that game. Knew a guy that collected old gas pumps. The glass ones you actually pumped. He spent a fortune on those back in the early 1990’s, god knows what they are worth now!

My wife and I do a lot of hunting. We both got into long range shooting/hunting. We both have 30-378 Weatherbys. We both took a long rang shooting class in Utah in 2009 to get started. She was the first to take a buck at 502 yards in the heart. I kept looking around the ranch to see if a could find a Buck at least 503 yards out during hunting season. A few years ago, it finally happens. I see a buck at 647 yards! (I shot a 6" group at a 1,000 yards in the class). As I'm getting set up, the buck is walking towards me! "No..stop"! I finally get set up and ready to pull the trigger and he is now 474 yards out. "Damn"! He stops and I take him at 474 yards. My wife still holds the bragging rights. We are also into Side by Sides and last year into E-bikes.

Long range shooting..only the Netherlands has few possibilities and is very strict. It takes a couple of years ( 3 til 4 depands on caliber ) if you want a license, yearly exam, annual background checks, house visits and annual psychological test etc.

But finally got a EU license,so i go to Belgium,Denmark, Slovakia.

Are you going to use it? I have a modern, corded electric which is just fine for a small suburban lot.
If I do pick it up, I'd most certainly use it. As I'm sure you know (what with your vintage sewing machine collection), using something with a history is kind of like using a time machine. If only for a brief moment, it transports you back to a simpler time. It may sound silly to some, but that's the way I see it, anyway. ;)

Yep. And we both know you're gonna get it - or try for it at least!
Sometimes the wife intervenes. I've been trying to bring home a hearse for the last nine years, and she has said not only "No", but "Hell, no!". Tonight she informed me that if I got rid of three of my project cars, I could buy one. I told her that I'd do that, but only if she agreed to go camping in it with me.

***crickets***

I tell ya, sometimes that woman has no sense of humor! :rolleyes: :LOL: